Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fat at the back?
  • matt07
    Free Member

I have a new Maxxis Shorty to pop on the front now things are getting sloppy. Was running Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and rear. Intending to leave the HD out back but am aware its quite a bit wider and bigger vol than the Shorty. Anyone tried this combo or similar with a fatter but potentially less grippy tyre at the back? Just a bit worried it might mess the feel of the bike up a bit..

bigh
    Free Member

Back in the dark ages, it was often a “thing” to have a fatter rear end with a narrower front. More recently fools like me who are buying into a newer “thing” can be seen running a 2.25 front with a massive 3 inch 29er plus rear ( and having a bloody good time). This was only done because I can’t yet afford to go full “plus”
    Do it, you wont die, probably.

matt07
    Free Member

Not looking for any extra comfort really as its a 150mm FS. Beginning to wonder if it might feel more balanced with shorty front and rear..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

nico vouilloz runs a 27.5+ on the back and 29 on the front of his e-enduro bike apparently.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve tried that exact combo, but just for one ride.

I dunno if the mismatched tyre volumes was that noticeable, but I wasn’t sure if the Shorty was that well suited to my local trails.

You’ve already got the tyres, see what you think yourself.

chakaping
    Free Member

it might feel more balanced with shorty front and rear..

I would be very reluctant to stick a shorty on the rear, found the front super-draggy.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Head angle will steepen very slightly, but that’s about it. The rear tyre being less grippy is more important than the volume (within reason).

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I use HD rear and Shorty front, not noticed any issues, go for a MM on the front if you want something with more volume.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fat at the back?’ is closed to new replies.