Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fat Alberts
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone use them and can give me your opinion? Where is the cheapest place to get them from?

Thanks folks.

Filthy
    Free Member

Germany is the cheapest place to get them, and mine havent arrived yet so cant really comment but they get some good reviews.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cool. Love to hear your review when you get a chance.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

There is quite a wait for new Fat Alberts at the moment, the production is in high demand. Give Lockheed a call though.

Denis99
    Free Member

Using a Fat Albert on the front and an Albert on the rear.

Good combination of tyres. The Fat Albert has a wide profile and offers plenty of grip – but still rolls well. Took a little time to sort out a pressure though. I pump the Fat Albert up to 32 psi on the front.

Haven’t had it long enough to see what its durability is like yet – but looks promising .

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got the older style of FA’s in snakeskin. They’re a good choice for more aggressive/technical riding at a very reasonable weight. I use a Big Betty on the front for more DH orientated stuff, but they’re a lot heavier.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a snakeskin FA on the front, and a Maxxis Advantage on the rear (456 with Pikes). I’ve run them in the Alps twice and they’ve been fantastic. No problems, good grip, last well.

Bit burly for UK, although they do well in the Lakes. A reasonable balance of grip without too much weight.

Wife runs an Alberts on the front, and it suits her well.

Got them from bike24 in Germany.

Filthy
    Free Member

They have arrived, just fitted them and well, they are round black and knobbly, will report back in the morning after my early ride.

Went for the 2.4 evo snakeskin flavour, front and rear specific.

Filthy
    Free Member

Just back from the first ride with these on.

Excellent…

Rolls well on tarmac.
    Outstanding grip especially on off camber loose stuff unlike the panaracer rampages which used to break away far too easily.
    Knobs look far enough apart for when it gets wet, cant really comment on that yet.
    Snakeskin so I should see an end to pinch flats.

So they are tough, roll well, not too heavy and very grippy, cant find anything not to like about them really, well maybe the price.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Nice choice, how’s tyre clearance on the frame and fork?

BTW, snakeskin won’t help you regarding pinch flats, it only helps protect against sidewall damage like scuffs/cuts etc, ie. it doesn’t stiffen the sidewall, like say some Maxxis stuff does.

Filthy
    Free Member

Plenty of clearance at the moment but its fairly dry round where I live, cant see it having any issues at the back and if its that clarted up to clog up at the front then I dont think I’d want to be pedaling anyway.

Fair enough on the snakeskin stuff, I was running a 2.25 racing ralph on the back but these feel a lot stiffer.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers guys, might keep an eye open and see where the cheapest place to get them is.

Filthy
    Free Member

got mine from here…

Bike24

mikey74
    Free Member

got mine from here…

Bike24

£30 each!!!!!???? Don’t think I’ll be buying them from there, but thanks.

richc
    Free Member

well if you find anywhere cheaper, let us know.

mikey74
    Free Member

Just looked at Chain Reaction: £37. Think I’ll stick to High Rollers, lol.

juan
    Free Member

hey I have been using them for 5 years now. Best tyres for XC around here. Wouldn’t recommend them for Extreme stuff or Free ride. But over all very good as far as you don’t do crazy stuff

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve used them in the Alps a couple of times. Pretty reliable and predictable on the handling front. I have the Snakeskin 2.35 UST’s. They are pretty large for 2.35. Nice tyre but no lightweight.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fat Alberts’ is closed to new replies.