• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by justa.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fat 40 year old needs to get back into bikes :)
  • justa
    Free Member

Aye up

Many moons ago I was on this site all the time – somehow I’ve got out of cycling and over the past 3 or 4 years have almost given up completely – just the odd trip to cannock with some nice people from work.

Anyway as I am now over 40 and 14 stone I need to get back on my bike – it’s the only exercise I’ve ever enjoyed – well apart from walking.

I’m still in possession of two old but decent in their time bikes ! A 2007 ish Specialized Tricross Comp and a 2007 Ventana El Ciclon.

The El Ciclon was a great bike and for what it would be worth I might as well keep it – it has a good spec (again in its day) including fox float rl forks that are probably 4-5 years old (but like new) with the oversized DT Swiss wheel axle thingy me bob.

I’m guessing it’s probably not that efficient compared to newer bikes but how much would I have to spend to get better ? It has DT Swiss 240 hubs and stans Olympic rims and XT and above finishing kit.

I was thinking a new purchase might spur me on – I know it did on the past !

I quite fancy a road bike but have no ideas what the Tricross is worth – it was the well speced one with carbon rear end and royal Pavel classique wheels and hubs… Any ideas ?

Anyway I’m rambling but be good to hear your views

Cheers

nemesis
    Free Member

Welcome back – I remember you 🙂

I reckon the El Ciclon would still be fine. At most a change of shock if you really think it’s not great but I’d just leave it as it is as I don’t reckon you’ll really improve it significantly without spending loads of cash and it was a good bike then. Not to mention that 26″ frames have lost most of their value…

Can’t see you getting much for the tricross unfortunately – what was it? £1200 new? What groupset/condition?

MrNice
    Free Member

I wouldn’t change anything for the sake of it but aren’t those rims the ones for skinny xc jeyboys? they may suffer!

scotroutes

Ola and welcome back! I still have a set of XTR cranks you sold me.

Tricross has, unfortunately, dropped a lot in value as many other models are now available, and mostly with disks. Nothing to stop you enjoying it, though I know what you mean about a new bike being an incentive to ride.

justa
    Free Member

Lol thanks for the replies 🙂

The wheels have always done me find although yes I weigh about 2 stone more now ! I used to ride the El Ciclon quite aggressively and the wheels always coped ! I think you are right about the shock…

Not up to date with all this 29er business – when I was cycling they were for tall folk only !

The tricross is in good condition with just cosmetics – it was top of the range so I think the shifters were ultegra I think – carbon pave seat post – is around £200 about right ?

the-muffin-man

Hello Justa!

The trails in Derbyshire are still the same – ride it until something breaks. It was a right nice bike if I recall.

cheekyget
    Free Member

14st…….that ain’t heavy…….one of the boys I go riding with both MTB and roadie…is a 23st exbouncer…and he is over 40

He is wickedly fast on the flat….struggles uphill tho…I don’t know why…lol

munrobiker
    Free Member

Now then! I seem to remember you going through bikes like I go through underwear. I suspect buying three bikes in the period of six months will sort you out.

Have you still got that cool dog?

andybrad

theres a guy in our club whos got a ventanna like yours. its got a newer shock on it and hes faster than most.

Notter
    Free Member

Welcome back indeed! A propos of nothing I think I bought my Dialled PA from you many moons ago, still got it and still love it! Proof positive that “old” bikes with 26″ wheels have still got it!!

If there’s one local-ish to you I’d suggest getting onto a demo day to satisfy any new bike itches 🙂

Either way, enjoy being back out on the trails!

ollybus
    Free Member

What size is the Tricross? Thought i’d get in there early!

core

2nd expression of interest for the tricross!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ride stuff until it breaks.

Strava is good for this, after a while I’ve started challenging myself how many miles I can log on bikes without doing any upgrades (450 so far on the fatty with only the initial spares bin swaps). Told myself I can have a Bluto at 2000miles if I’m still riding it. Feels like a good way of doing it, otherwise I fall into the trap of “I’d ride my bike more if………”. And if/when I get to 2000miles I might want to sell it and buy something different anyway but at least I’ll have justified spending the money rather than throwing money into the fat (or XC, or enduro) bike then deciding that even upgraded it’s not what I want. Which was the mistake I made with the Pitch.

justa
    Free Member

Hello to all who remember me – are you still in ambergate muffin man ?

The El Ciclon is a good in 🙂

The tricross is a medium I think – or 54 whichever way they are measured !

the-muffin-man

Yep – still at Ambergate.

Much like you I’ve drifted away from cycling, and haven’t done a proper MTB ride in a couple of years.

midlifecrashes

Wishes my MTB was as modern as a 2007 Ventana.

Welcome back.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

ahh Ventana Justa- blast from the past. I remember buying/selling bit from you. Welcome back!

i was similiar to you in that I’m getting back into biking after a few years ‘resting’. Despite having a lot of older ‘bling bits’ in my shed, I went out and bought a banshee to spur me on.

I’ve since re-built one of my older frames and to be honest I have just as much fun on the older bike. A lot of the newer bikes are aimed at ‘enduro’ which is AM in old money. Your Ventana will still be as relevant and good as a trail bike as it ever was. Get out and start enjoying it again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP great news. I got into biking at 45 as I wasn’t doing any other excersize. I got started on a £350 hardrock so your bikes are fine. I hate other excesize other than walking and love the outdoors so bikes are fine. Don’t delude yourself that a new bike is going to give you motivation. The forks on my fs are from 2006, still going strong.

Give the bikes some tlc, perhaps a service then work out some nice rides to get back into it. Start slowly. Mix it up with xc, “enduro” (that’s what we call a normal ride with some up ad some down these days 🙂 ) Get an app like endomondo or strava to log your rides. Give yourself a goal, eg a 40k ride by the end of the summer.

If you want reward yourself with a new bike once you are riding regularly.

Have fun and report back

chakaping
    Free Member

Get out and ride to see what the weak links on the bike are.

It’ll soon become apparent if the wheels or fork are too flexy.

Try to have a go on some mates’ bikes to compare more modern kit?

If the transmission is tired and you have crap old brakes then maybe get a bargain full SLX groupset.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Wohooo!
    Welcome back fella!

As Luke asks? Have you still got that Cloud on Legsawesome Bedlington?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Cloud on Legs

I’m not getting involved…

😉

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Welcome back Justa!

Spud

Welcome back! What you need is a road bike and a fat bike, that’s the usual for round here isn’t it? 😆 Just ride what you have, it’ll soon come back.

justa
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

Nice to see so many familiar names !

Oh and I’ve still (touch wood) got the cloud on legs dog 🙂

Billy is nearly 11 now but still pretty sprightly 🙂

https://flic.kr/p/v8KhWR

Not sure if links worky…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fat 40 year old needs to get back into bikes :)’ is closed to new replies.