Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Fastest road bike that'll take a rack
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Hypothetically, if I wanted a new bike, I’d want a road bike that’s light and fast but I can fit panniers, to allow me to bring several days’ worth of work clothes, computers and all that jazz. Then I could enjoy road riding during the week. My commuter carries the load well enough but isn’t that good to ride distances on.

scotroutes

We see lots of fast/carbon things with seatpost-mounted racks. If folk can manage a LeJog with one, I’m sure it would suit you.

amedias
    Free Member

whatever bike you want is the answer, get creative, you can fit a rack to almost anything (and quite elegantly too, not in a bodgetastic way).

if you’re not taking a massive load the weight carrying/strength issue is irrelevant as if the bike can handle a 100kg+ rider, it can handle a 70-80kg rider + a few kg of luggage without issue.

RustySpanner

You can put a rack on anything.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

With crappy looking P clips?

it can handle a 70-80kg rider

*cough*

Anyway this is an academic question. Best “fast” bike ie not a tourer with rack mounts.

amedias
    Free Member

With crappy looking P clips?

I said get creative 😛

Tubus fly is a nice option if you have no rack mounts on the seatstay as it mounts to the brake bridge/bolt, very neat, you can do the same thing with many other racks with a bit of rack-stay-bendery.

You can also mount the stays to the seatpost collar, Salsa even make a special collar with extra threaded mounts for that.

As long as you have at least one set of eyelets at the dropout end it is dead simple, gets a bit tricker if you don’t have any eyelets down there but there are racks that mount to the axle/QR as well.

It really isn’t that hard and doesn’t have to be a bodge or look crappy, just pick the bike you want and add a rak, don’t let it sway the bike choice too much.

thetallman
    Free Member

For a combination of speed and practicality, it’s worth looking at audax bikes.

They even do crabon ones now.

thetallman
    Free Member

Might struggle to go as fast as Andy Wilkinson’s though 😉

RustySpanner

I reckon a Spa Audax would fit the bill.
    Light (for steel), well designed, stupidly good value, classy, comfy.

What other bikes have you got Moley?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What speeds will you be doing…high enough (40kph+ usually used as the yardstick) for “aero” to be significant?

onandon
    Free Member

how about a trailer or tag along thing ? Cart all the crap about then you have any bike to enjoy crap free 🙂

Obviously if your looking for an excuse for a new bike, just ignore……

durhambiker
    Free Member

Friend of mine uses one of those racks that mounts to the Q/R and the brake mount. He broke it, but only by riding into a 5 bar gate in the dark with no lights, and somersaulting over it with the bike. Other than that he’s been happy with it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hypothetically, if I wanted a new bike, I’d want a road bike that’s light and fast but I can fit panniers, to allow me to bring several days’ worth of work clothes, computers and all that jazz. Then I could enjoy road riding during the week. My commuter carries the load well enough but isn’t that good to ride distances on.

Crabon fribe, will take full guards, as well as both front and rear racks (Rear needs a seatpost mount). Fitted with some Conti GP 4 Seasons, it would be a very nice fast commuter.

😀

scotroutes

This is the rack we fit to our own road bikes.
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p54703/Axiom-Streamliner-Road-Deluxe-Rear-Rack.aspx

The little extensions at the foot of the main supports are designed to move the rack back a little as road bikes usually have short stays and you get issues with the rear of your foot hitting the panniers. They will fit on a standard Q/R if there are no other options.

We get folk doing fully-loaded camping tours with them and have yet to have any breakages.

g5604
    Free Member

Bez

Aside from the myriad options of fitting racks to fast bikes, why not the obvious option of n+1? Keep the commuter, buy a road bike. Ta-dah.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Kinesis 4S there is now a disc 4s…

schmiken

Kinesis T, Kinesis 4S, Kinesis GF Ti, Dolan something or other?

Loads of options!

molgrips
    Free Member

Some good ideas on here.. I like that bike CFH posted even though I don’t know what it is 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molgrips, it’s a Specialized Diverge. Gnarmac*gravel bike, but weighs the same as the same spec Roubaix, and not a lot more than a Tarmac. Tough as old boots (so far!) and able to take a lot of abuse. Mine’s been on all sorts of bridleslaying* rides and then when back on the black stuff, it’s basically just a road bike. A comfortable, fast road bike.

Can be equipped as a light tourer if needed as well, or a commuter. In some ways, it’s a modern take on an Audax bike as well. Comfy, light, fast.

*Cliché bingo!

ransos
    Free Member

Mason Definition.

TiRed

Tubus fly and any road or TT bike with conventional rear brake bridge.

Or as mentioned, a Topeak MTX rack for a round seatpost. Big fan of mine but you’d need the roll-down side panniers. Shoes are always a struggle though, as is a laptop.

aracer
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the streamliner rack too, the only downside is my tourer definitely feels better loaded than my racer, it’s obviously built stiff enough not to wobble round corners when loaded.

MrNice
    Free Member

Mine’s been on all sorts of bridleslaying* rides and then when back on the black stuff, it’s basically just a road bike

I first read that as brideslaying 😯

kbomb
    Free Member

Have used the streamliner rack, not terrible, but wobbles around a bit if you get out the saddle.

I’ve always been a fan on front panniers. Just get a nice fast road bike, replace the forks with a front fork that will take a rack and panniers, jobs a good’un.

aP
    Free Member

Arkel do a neat seatpost rack system that mounts to the saddle rails and is supported by the seatpost. Herself used I on the Gravel Dash 50/50 earlier this year with no problems.

m360
    Free Member

How about a ‘disc’ type rack that mounts with the quick release? You can change the seat clamp for one with rack mounting holes in as well.

Easy to remove when not needed (just swap the skewer and undo two screws.

Or use a rucksack.

molgrips
    Free Member

CFH has won the thread already.

However the other ideas are great for the real world, the one which in which I can’t afford a new bike and have to fit something to my existing road bike 🙂

Have used the streamliner rack, not terrible, but wobbles around a bit if you get out the saddle.

How much did you have in it?

andyfla
    Free Member

Possibly a change of kit – get rid of the panniers and go for apidura or alpkit bike luggage
    None of the long distance races winners – trans america, trans continental or the likes of Mark Beamont use panniers anymore

STATO
    Free Member

So lets get this straight. You want a ‘fast’ road bike that will let you bolt on a giant air brake? Have you thought this through?

scotroutes

He wants a fast road bike from which he can remove the air brake when not needed

molgrips
    Free Member

You want a ‘fast’ road bike that will let you bolt on a giant air brake? Have you thought this through?

Yes, what Scot said. Ride/train to hotel on Monday with computer/weeks’ clothes, check in, leave panniers at home go riding during the week, then pack the bags and ride home.

It really needs to be panniers or a trailer, because when putting my bike on the train I remove the panniers in seconds to bring them with me – not leaving them in the guard’s carriage. Also very handy when stopping off to grab food or something similar.

If I’m planning to do off-road riding during the week then it’s already covered by the El Mariachi, but not so easy with road.

I’ve long fancied a trailer, like a Burley Travoy – this is another option and would work with whatever bike I choose.

wwaswas

not leaving them in the guard’s carriage

they stopped having them round here in about 1989!

brassneck

Tripster innit. I doubt you’re so quick as you’d really notice the difference between it and a ‘real’ road bike with some decent wheels on. Mine is light enough with 105, Cowbells and Archetypes on Novatech hubs to be pointless improving for my riding ability & fitness. Plus I like Ti when hanging things off a frame, something always rubs..

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s as much about feel and riding position as actual speed, although that helps.

I like to put myself into a good tuck and hammer along, it’s a good feeling. So if it’s too relaxed or sit-uppy I won’t feel like I can get stuck into it in the same way.

STATO
    Free Member

If its just for occasional use get a axle mounted rack and a clamp that fits on the seatpost or seatpost-collar. Then you can use any road bike you want, just take the rack off when you dont need it, only 2 bolts and a QR swap.

Bez

None of the long distance races winners – trans america, trans continental or the likes of Mark Beamont use panniers anymore

I’m inclined to suspect that this may be somehow related to the fact that none of them are required to bring a laptop or a week’s worth of ironed shirts with them on their races.

Bez

Anyway, where were we? There are about a bazillion bikes that fit the criteria. Can we narrow things down at all?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fastest road bike that'll take a rack’ is closed to new replies.