Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fastest grippiest conti tyre available?
  • TimTom
    Free Member

Fastest grippiest conti tyre available?
    Who has some they could recom me?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Contradiction in terms if Mountain Kings are anything to go be!!

william
    Free Member

Surely it's one or the other?

iDave
    Free Member

why conti? surely other tyres are available?

TimTom
    Free Member

Best compromise, if not fastest?

samuri
    Free Member

for a road bike, cross bike, mountain bike or unicycle?

TimTom
    Free Member

Good Price!!! 😉

TimTom
    Free Member

mountain

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As other say – its one or the other

I like contis – my experience

Speedkings – fast. Light,narrow and need high pressures. Grippy until it gets wet
    MOuntinkings – decent all rounder
    Mountainkings black chilli – decent grip, a bit draggy. wear veryu fast on tarmac
    Verts – nice tyure but no warning they will let go
    Gravities – as verts – slightly quicker and lkess grippy
    edges – great grip in mud. Narrow slow and draggy

TimTom
    Free Member

Cheers for that,
    What about queens?

tron
    Free Member

I'd look at Nevegals for moist weather and Ignitors for the dry. They both roll really well and grip nicely. I know they're not Contis, but Conti aren't the be all and end all.

Rubber Queen are big with square edged knobblies. I'd only stick mine back on if I were going somewhere properly rocky. The wire 2.4 weighs a full kilo! That's not what the websites tell you, but I weighed mine.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

conti race kings for fast and grippy tyres.

rubber queens are huuuuge and slow!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The GP4000s are way grippier than anything mentioned so far

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What about Queens? I have never had one

tron
    Free Member

Rubber Queen are big with square edged knobblies. I'd only stick mine back on if I were going somewhere properly rocky. The wire 2.4 weighs a full kilo! That's not what the websites tell you, but I weighed mine.

^ Up there…

samuri
    Free Member

Verts for me then, although as Steve says, GP4000's are totally awesome. Not massively grippy on loose rocks though. 😉

Keva
    Free Member

Im on Explorer 2.1s at the moment, not sure if they're still available though, mine were cheap, old stock.

Kev

Del

i like ultra gator skins. 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a mountain king on the front and a vert on the back. I would like to swap this around but I find the MK grippier on the corners IME

Reluctant
    Free Member

Can't say I trust any of them 😕

liquid1000
    Free Member

I run a bog standard mtn king on rear and very sticky maxxis high roller on front works really well. I did have a mtn king on front but was terrifying in wet, brill on the rear and cheap as chips. I ride a finch inch travel full suss.

liquid1000
    Free Member

oops five inch travel – Cove Hustler

adam_h
    Free Member

I have a 2.3 Conti Vertical on the front and a 2.2 Moutain King on the back on my full sus. And run 2.0 Race Kings on my hardtail.

Find both ride really well, have tried other tyres/manufacturers but settled on the above.

FuzzyWuzzy

Running a 2.4 RQ tubeless on the rear atm and it is a bit of a beast (put it on for rocky trails in Spain) but will probably switch it to a 2.2 as I think it works pretty well as an all-round tyre. I've tried MKs and SK's in the past and not overly impressed, not sure there's any tyre in the current Conti line-up I'd run on the front.

jools182
    Free Member

Why do some people hate Mountain Kings and others say they're the best thing in the World?

are they using completely different tyres?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Riding style, conditions and expectations also MK's need high pressures over 40 PSI in my experience to work properly. For the speed you get and what they weigh I'm happy with them but of course they are not as grippy as softer compound tyres. I think the 2.4's are better than the smaller ones.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Riding style, conditions and expectations also MK's need high pressures over 40 PSI in my experience to work properly. For the speed you get and what they weigh I'm happy with them but of course they are not as grippy as softer compound tyres but where I ride they work well. I think the 2.4's are better than the smaller ones.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I'm somewhat of a conti fan, and seem to agree with TJ as per above.

Speedkings – fast in dry, scary in wet, esp on front
    Verticals – fairly predicatable, tough, all rounder
    Explorer – as verticals exept a bit quicker
    MKs – I love them. Good mix of traction/speed. Liked 2.4s in the Peaks, used 2.2s for Marathon Racing
    Just bought a Race King for the back for Trans Wales – going to run MK supersonic up front – we'll see!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fastest grippiest conti tyre available?’ is closed to new replies.