• This topic has 49 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • faster on a hardtail?
  • muddyground
    Free Member

Double post silly boy.

brassneck

FS fast
    HT faster
    29 new HT faster
    Crossbike fastest.

According to my Strava anyway.

kerley
    Free Member

Whatever happened to riding because you enjoyed it

I enjoy riding and I also enjoy getting fitter/faster – you can do both.

However, my phone is zipped up in my back pocket and I upload the data to Strava when I get home so no monitoring it during my ride.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Who cares ? Whatever happened to riding because you enjoyed it . Strava endomondo etc , really ?

quotes like this always makes me laugh,

seanthesheap
    Free Member

My 120mm travel full suspension bike is one of the fastest MTB’s I’ve ridden, i have no idea why? even on fairly smooth rides that you would expect a hard tail to be faster on, i think that sometimes a bike just suits a rider, not sure how else to explain it. It’s a £1500 Norco btw.

deviant
    Free Member

Nope, my FS is set up with 160mm forks and a burly build, I can just plough through stuff….always faster, not that it matters though.

On my HT I have more fun but have to concentrate and pick wisely re. line choice….that is definitely slower but more involving so I’m very lucky to have both to choose from.

(At the moment the HT edges it, I just can’t get enough of that thing!….I’d like to meet the designer, shake his hand and buy him a beer!)

muddyground
    Free Member

Go on Deviant; share!

prawny

Most of my strava pr’s have been set on my hardtail, but my fastest rides door to door were almost all done on the full suss, like someone said earlier I could really make time up just pedalling along in the saddle which I can’t do on my hardtail

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve been debating this recently. Up until the last few weeks, my Soul275 has been pretty much all I’ve ridden offroad on since January. I’ve been logging on Strava, for comparison rather than competition (I’m hundreds of riders away from KoM’s) .

I was expecting the Soul to be blindingly faster up and possibly along and the FS to rule on the down.

What’s actually happened is the FS has edged in most places, and on a couple of descents, the Soul nearly gave the fastest rides.

Totally unscientific as different days, none of this is competition condition riding and there’s a wheel size difference (26er FS).

I enjoy riding both differently. I’ve concluded it’s our old friend “the best bike is the one you’re riding *now*”…

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting this, cos I’d just got my hardtail back working again last weekend, I took my 575 and the hardtail (Handjob with 120mm forks) for a ride to check everything out.
    2 laps of QECP, one on each. There really was no comparison.
    There are a couple of transitions, sharp turns from down to a climb – Couldn’t make them on the HJ.
    The Yeti just flew and everything was fast and fun.
    No way a hardtail is faster unless the full-sus is rubbish! Or maybe there’s nothing remotely technical on the ride?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘faster on a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.