Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fast rubber
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Is new always better than old…?

Riding the Ty Hafan Taff Trail Challenge at the w/e – and it's pretty much all tarmac roads, tarmac cycle track or forest fire roads…

So, the normal chunky mtb treds have come off the Anthem in favour of the original Michelins (WildRace 2.0??) Light, reasonably quick and no need of typical offroad level of grip.

However, lurking in my shed is the black and blue suicide weapon that was stashed away about 5 years ago amidst dreams of dry dusty trails…

… Panaracer Trailblaster 1.8 folding…

Now, these were always quick (I still haven't bettered my Wall times set on these tyres), but they were always a bit of a fright.

Anyone still ride Trailblasters, and if so, how do they compare against current fast tyres?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hmmm, 1.8 tyres of any brand were never that quick in my opinion.
    I prefer lighter weight larger volume tyres; current faves, Ignitors, Pythons, Race Kings. I reckon those oe Michelins look good too, although I haven't tried em.

uplink
    Free Member

If the surface is as you describe it, I wouldn't really care how good they are
    I'd be putting something like Specialized nimbus armadillos on

Not worth buying for 1 ride though, I guess

rkk01
    Free Member

Well – I've stuck the TrailBlasters on the Anthem, and they do look silly narrow.

Commuting tyres would probably be the best bet for the majority of the route – but

a) I'd need to buy some,
    b) There are a few sections were they would be hard work, including a 5 mile fireroad climb and a section of concrete steps under the A470 dual carriageway

I commuted in on the Michelin WildRace 2.0s yesterday, and they are fast (feel quicker than Crossmarks), but weigh in at 100g (each) heavier than the TBs…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fast rubber’ is closed to new replies.