Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)
  • Fast Food places – tidy or leave, walk and go?
  • jools182
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member
    Nothing fills you such unadulterated hatred as uncensored exposure to the general public…

+1

Only yesterday I found myself muttering ‘plebs’ to myself while visiting the supermarket 😐

martymac

^^^^^^+1
    i work with the public, i have done for 10 years, it makes me extremely cynical.
    i never go down the town, or anywhere there will be large numbers of people, i see more than enough of these asshats when im doing my 39 hrs at work.
    unfortunately, i also, when people i havent met before tell me a snippet about themselves i find my self mentally thinking “really, do i look like i care?”
    i wasnt like this when i was younger/didnt work with the general public, so it must be their fault.
    btw, i always clean up if i visit any fast food joint, my parents taught me to clean up after myself.

convert

I was walking down a town beach a couple of weeks ago on a nice sunny day. Lots of groups of young people in various states of undress had come down for the day. You could hardly see the beach for the discarded rubbish strewn around them – not washed up but fresh empty bottle,cans, food wrappers etc with silhouettes of rubbish where other groups had been and now left.

Some elements of society just seem to like sitting in their own shit – or at the very least are immune from it.

bearnecessities

I look down on the people who look down on the people who eat at McDonalds

I look down on everyone; levels the playing field 😉

…and regarding OP, you’ve not seen anything until you’ve visited the KFC in Birstall. Literally more food, packaging and children on the floor, than on tables.

piemonster

Only yesterday I found myself muttering ‘plebs’ to myself while visiting the supermarket

I feel your pain, I don’t even have a lowly Waitrose to shop at. There is a new Supermarket being built nearby but it’s a bloody ASDA peasant hole, I’m not shopping in one of those Cathedrals of tink.

saxabar
    Free Member

I was always taught as a child to tidy up after myself….

Do you do this when you go to posh eateries, with metal knives and forks?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I feel your pain, I don’t even have a lowly Waitrose to shop at. There is a new Supermarket being built nearby but it’s a bloody ASDA peasant hole, I’m not shopping in one of those Cathedrals of tink.

Quote from Stephen Fry – Sainsbury’s is a great place, it keeps the wrong sort of people out of Waitrose

piemonster

I miss Waitrose, they did build an M&S food supermarket not too far from here. But it’s basically just full of crisps, cake, and pizzas with a few token offerings of fruit and veg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I miss Booths – a proper supermarket (except the terrifying one at media city full of BBC types)

footflaps

I once made the mistake of accompanying the OH to the Primark store, when it first opened in Cambridge. What amazed me was the percentage of stock just strewn on the floor. It seems the Primark etiquette is to take an item of the rack to look at it and then just drop it on the floor if you don’t like it. I really very glad we have places like Primark as it provides a sort of social segragation for people with no manners and means I never bump into them in normal shops.

boxfish
    Free Member

You do your own shopping? How quaint.

v8ninety

reply to the OP; Tidy up my own mess, goes without saying. It’s good manners, and due to having endured various similar drudge work in my youth I feel a compassion for the underpaid and generally hard working staff who work there. (not enough to pay more for my big mac though; there are limits!) This also extends to having told off groups of teeenagers who have gone to leave without tidying up; not sure how wise this was in hindsight, but I have always got away with it.

reply to the MD naysayers; Do you have any concept of how daft, snobbish and small minded your posts make you look? Only I’m fairly sure this isn’t the effect that you are going for. Food is food, and nothing in moderation is going to hurt. It’s fuel, at the end of the day, and if it tastes good, bonus.

simmy
    Free Member

I go to McDs most days, at least 5 times a week but only for a loo stop.

When I do eat there, I do clear up the tray after.

If my mate is with me, I put the lot in the bin, tray and everything as his face is a picture of embarrassment.

McDs trays were always good fun on my younger days. We used to ” obtain ” a few at a time, reverse the rear wheels of the car onto them, handbrake on, accelerate hard, then steer quickly and it was like doing an handbrake turn without wearing the tyres out.

Only in a front wheel drive car in a controlled environment.

Cougar

As a general rule, I’ll clean up after myself. Why wouldn’t you? However, if I’ve just been massively fleeced (for example, motorway service stations) then I figure for the money they’ve taken from me they can damn well pay someone to keep the tables clean.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

reply to the MD naysayers; Do you have any concept of how daft, snobbish and small minded your posts make you look? Only I’m fairly sure this isn’t the effect that you are going for. Food is food, and nothing in moderation is going to hurt. It’s fuel, at the end of the day, and if it tastes good, bonus.

Honestly I find it hard to catogorise it as food. Savoury food with more sugar than should be able to carry. Too much of a lab creation as opposed to a kitchen. Sorry to sound like a snob but it’s the cheapest crapest bits machined into something with less than a passing resemblance to the advert photo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

reading a freinds facebook status the other day – she went to pound land – she dropped a pound – and the person behind her picked it up and said thanks finders keepers …. she said what – are you joking ? and he just ignored her…..

that is unreal – a real class act.

MrSmith
    Free Member

threads like this serve to remind me just how narcissistic and self-centred your average person in the street is.

bigrich

Honestly I find it hard to catogorise it as food. Savoury food with more sugar than should be able to carry. Too much of a lab creation as opposed to a kitchen. Sorry to sound like a snob but it’s the cheapest crapest bits machined into something with less than a passing resemblance to the advert photo.

have you never had a Hangover?

andymc06
    Free Member

I am currently suffering a hangover. This thread has led to my wife going to the drive-thru for me. Large Big Mac meal with vanilla milkshake and an apple pie should sort me out! I’ll have foie-gras for tea!!! 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

(Awaits questioning regarding use of tea instead of dinner……..)

v8ninety

it’s the cheapest crapest bits machined into something with less than a passing resemblance to the advert photo.

Fits the bill; cheap, uniform, tasty. I wouldn’t try to live on it, but every now and again… nom

jamj1974

Tidy up and enough of the food snobbery from some – it’s tiresome and boorish.

binners

I absolutely love threads like this. Where the type of insufferable snob person who has probably used the word artisan, when referring to a loaf of bread, gets to assert their breathtaking level of gullibility utterly superior good taste through their choice of supermarket/sandwich emporium, under the patently ridiculous idea that anybody cares, let alone be dazzled and impressed, as the poster clearly imagines the obvious result to be.

In reality, the only people taking any notice are the marketing departments, who literally wet themselves with glee as they see you coming! Then whack the word Organic on to some faux authentic packaging and double the price!

🙄

dannybgoode

McDonalds is an interesting place to observe cultural differences. In the UK people are generally polite and usually clear their own tables, in Belgium you have to pay to use the toilet there (as is customary in Belgium) – went to relieve myself after a meal there and got accosted by some old dear who I initially assumed to be begging.

In Japan I tried to clear my own table but never got more than 2 meters before a waiter / waitress legged it across the room to intercept me and grab my tray.

Served all burgers with Wasabi source as well which was a shock when not expecting!

Cheers

Danny B

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In reality, the only people taking any notice are the marketing departments, who literally wet themselves with glee as they see you coming! Then whack the word Organic on to some faux authentic packaging and double the price!

Interesting point there, I too laugh at the Organic=Better idea, crapping on food rather than using engineered fertilizer makes little difference to flavour. I’d also rather see animals not suffer from curable ailments for the sake of helping them to a better life before slaughtering them (I’m guessing they would choose some medications over death if they had the choice)

All I would advocate is quality food from sensibly sourced ingredients an an appreciation of where it comes from.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I distinctly remember an article from the BMJ stating that cow ears, lips and arseholes could definitely form part of a balanced diet 😆

Always clean up after myself in a place where it’s set up do to so. Normally return glasses to the bar as well, for similar reasons.

andytherocketeer

I go to McDs most days, at least 5 times a week but only for a loo stop.

Always used to go to the one by Charing Cross station.

A McPoo/McPee in there was much cheaper than in the station. But then they got wise and locked the back door.

In most of EU, you’re sposed to file the tray and its contents in a rack. It’s hardly an effort, especially as everything is already on a tray. It’s not like there’s a whole load of plates and cutlery to clear away. They prolly do the rack thing to make it look like they’re recycling, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it all goes straight to the incinerator like the UK bins.

Flaperon

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a McD’s wrapper in a bin. Plenty on the street and in hedges, though. Charge £10 for the meal and give £8 back when you scan the carton into the bin.

convert

Do businesses whose customers generate litter issues off their premises pay extra business rates to contribute to clearing it up? We have a McD’s drive through in our nearest town and the hedgerows within a 3 mile radius have regular deposits from their more inconsiderate users. Same goes for chewing gum manufacturers and retailers I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

I distinctly remember an article from the BMJ stating that cow ears, lips and arseholes could definitely form part of a balanced diet

See how your lips move about? They can do that cos they are made from muscle, just like other meat. I bet a lot of those simply fabulous artisan sausages people eat are made from cheek, lip and ear. And so what? Who the hell cares? I can’t see much ideological difference between eating a lip and eating a leg.

Some people REALLY need to get over themselves, seriously. You may not like McDs, but it’s still food.

piemonster

😀

bearnecessities

You may not like McDs, but it’s still food.

I can easily switch between food snob and food slob, so I feel qualified to comment 😀

Coffee is great, I buy one every morning prior to my travels.

Food? Varies. However, I never feel that fish and chips/pizza/kebab ‘dirty food’ satisfied; just a kind of burpy, and still hungry unsatisfied.

Their breakfast being case in point. It’s not anything, and doesn’t have a patch on a layby bacon sarnie.

Food? I dunno…your body probably doesn’t think so, but then to make derogatory comments about it is silly; it’s a bloody McDonalds!!

v8ninety

Their breakfast being case in point. It’s not anything, and doesn’t have a patch on a layby bacon sarnie.

Disagree; I could eat a sausage and egg breakfast bagel every day; I love them! I have to limit myself to one a month or two, they are seriously calorific…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you bothered to find out what goes into a McD burger before writng that or is it an off-the-shelf rant?

binners

The irony is that the people slagging maccy D’s food off are probably basing that on assumptions 20 years out of date. Its baggage! as a father of a 6 and 9 year old i find myself there once every couple of weeks. As fast food goes, with regard to content, I’d say they’re infinitely better than a lot of stuff you’d eat without question because they have a better manufactured corporate image, or you just wouldn’t question it because they appear ‘nice’

I never thought I’d end up defending Macdonalds, but in the big bad tax-avoiding world, if you have a look at what they do, they’re really not that bad! They pay full UK Tax for a start! As Molly said: some of you REALLY need to get over yourselves, and try the mozzarella dippers! they’re bloody great! 😀

And I always tidy up after, obviously

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh , most of europe have mcdonalds far superior to that of the uk.

based on experiance of mcpoops in germany/france/holland/ukraine – they even manage to make it look like the pictures :O and fresh chips that are not cold.

the uk ones tend to be pretty awful imo.

coupled with pia clientele and staff.

RustySpanner

I’ve no real problem with McD’s – I have a sausage and egg muffin once or twice a month.

I did stop eating them and felt a bit guilty after reading this:

But I’ve pretty much forgotten the details of the book, so I don’t feel as guilty now.

I always clear up.

But then again I always steal the newspaper, a couple of packets of sugar and a huuuuge pocketful of napkins to use as tissues in the car, so I reckon I’m about even on the McKarma issue.

piemonster

assumptions 20 years out of date

Can’t speak for others, but I’m basing it on the last time I went to one. Last year mid July.

That and the nutritional value info provided by the McDonalds website. http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/product_nutrition.sides.236.cheese-melt-dippers.html

Do I need to get over myself, really? No, not a chance. Sorry, but it’s not the sort of food I want to eat.

Do I need to keep my opinions to myself for fear of offending someone. In this sort if scenario, no. If such an act was really that heinous sites like Tripadvisor should be hounded off the net.

You can eat there, go for it. But don’t expect me to agree that it’s good food, nor keep quiet about it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do I need to get over myself, really? No, not a chance. Sorry, but it’s not the sort of food I want to eat.

Do I need to keep my opinions to myself for fear of offending someone. In this sort if scenario, no. If such an act was really that heinous sites like Tripadvisor should be hounded off the net.

You can eat there, go for it. But don’t expect me to agree that it’s good food, nor keep quiet about it.

In what respect is it not the sort of food you want to eat? Because it is meat? Because it is mass marketed?
    I don’t think anyone is arguing that it is good food, maybe just making the point that it is not particularly bad.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Did anyone actually say that it’s good food? It’s just that admitting you eat junk food occasionally seems to be in the same moral bracket as shitting in your grannies handbag for some people.

Oh and Molly. Please stop being so uptight. Trust me, it’s good for you. And everyone else 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Fast Food places – tidy or leave, walk and go?’ is closed to new replies.