• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Fast fattish (2.4) rear tyre – dry conditions? Bonty XR2 (new style) or RR or???
  • singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I have some Maxxis Aspens in 2.25 which are great. Light, fast, surprisingly grippy in the dry…but I fancy something bigger. Looking through the Maxxis range, the only option seems to be the Ardent 2.4, which is a little heavy compared to some other options. I know there are some Maxxis 2.5’s, but they’re from the old Maxxis measuring stick & come up smaller / same as new 2.25’s.
    Tyre is for rear use only – big & grippy up front generally – running a Chunky Monkey Extreme up front currently, which seems ok so far.
    I have been looking around & the Bontrager XR2 Team (lots of little knobbles, not the old style paddles on tyre with same name – why???) looks a decent fast rolling option & they seem to come up large, so a 2.35 might be the way to go. The other alternative is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph…but I’ve read mixed reports. All seem to agree grip is good, yet there seems to be a lot of reports of thin carcasses & tyres that roll about on rims unless inflated to bursting point. Also read a lot about knobbles shredding & ripping off entirely. Do they offer a large enough size too?
    What I’m looking at is better roll over of bumps (almost 27.5 spec by using big tyres). Had no issues with Maxxis tyres, wondering what experience others have on different brands (I know the usual tyre preference issues will be raised).
    Tyre will be run tubeless with Stans sealant & is intended for dry trails – will run all-rounders when wet. The Chunky Monkey has been tested on rear just to check the fit & there’s plenty of room on the FS – yet to check HT.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Fast fattish (2.4) rear tyre – dry conditions? Bonty XR2 (new style) or RR or???’ is closed to new replies.