• This topic has 30 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Fast fat road tyres? What is the tyre du jour?
  • madeupname
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anything recent, sorry if I missed it but –

I am looking for some fast-ish tyres to put on some Kinesis CX disc wheels. 24mm wide rim, 19mm internal. Aim is to keep up on club runs, withstand trips to Flemish cobbles, generally all round rubbish UK road use. I am looking at running bigger knobblier tyres on a second set of wheels for off-road exploring.

Challenge Strada Bianca (30c) sound good but short-lived/fragile.

Schwalbe S-one (30c) sound good.

My default tyre previously has been the Vitorria Pave (the green ones) with latex tubes, but they have been discontinued and the set I am on now is only 25mm and quite worn. Looking for something with similar grip/speed if anyone can recommend anything?

Happy to try tubeless, how hard can it be (never too late to try)?

Thanks

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve just retired a pair of Challenge Parigi-Roubaix open tubs after 2 winters, and granted a bit of autumns and springs. The centre tread was gone but plenty on the sides. Replaced with Panaracer Pasela 28s. The P-Rs were a lot better rolling tyre, and came up at a pleasant 29mm.
    Only had one puncture in them. Would recommend.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Spesh Turbo cottons are what Tony won the Worlds TT on (I think)

Otherwise; Conti GP4000s

ben98
    Free Member

Vittoria voyager hyper (32,35,38c, I’ve got 35’s) are unbelievably fast and light. Cheap from PlanetX too.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Gatorskin folders in either 28 or 32mm work for me!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Stradas are doing fine so far. OK, I lost one to a flint, but it was one of those flint cuts that would have shredded pretty much any tyre, to be honest!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Strictly tarmac use? Voyager Hyper or Kojak.

Bit of off-road thrown in? Marathon Cross, Nano TCS, Gravel G-One or Smart Sam.

madeupname
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fancy explaining to my mates why I keep puncturing when I try to take Spesh Turbo Cottons up the Koppenberg etc….

Hadn’t realised the Contis went up to 28.

Quite fancy the Challenge Parigi-roubiax, just for the tan wall…

No-one tried the Schwalbe?

Northwind

35c kojaks might do it but they’re not the fastest. They’re more of a fast light commuter tyre than a big road tyre, if that makes any sense

gp4000s in 28c is very good but obviously not that big.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m running Vittoria Voyager Hyper on my Cdf, 35c they are very fast rolling and super comfy at absorbing bumps in the road. Would highly recommend, got mine cheap from Planet X.

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

I’ve run 28c S-ones this year and it’s a brilliant tyre. It’s fast and grippy and pretty tough. I’ve run them tubeless and have had my first puncture at the start of October. Entirely my fault as I didn’t realise you have to top the sealant up! Highly recommended here.

Oh yeah, and they handled Paris-Roubaix with no dramas!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

IMO wide tyres are shite. I wouldn’t want to drag round some 30c plus tyre all year for the sake of the odd trip to “flemish cobbles” – just swap them when you need to.

swanny853

I was using the cross bike as a ‘road’ bike this summer- strada bianca race 33s tubeless made for very fun road tyres and survived being taken off road too, although i dont recommend them for straightline braking on grass! Pretty much perfect on unmade roads.

Basically they ride like a cross tyre, but for road, which is exactly what I wanted. Not too expensive either. Very much looking forward to the 38 i believe they are releasing

cloudnine
    Free Member

Go tubeless with some 28c Schwalbe pro ones.. definitely be keeping up on club runs with these as they are about as quik as everyday road tyres get.
    Second set of wheels.. wtb nano race tubeless for off road

brassneck

Strada LGG here, lovely, even the 25mm I’m on seems pretty big. 28s would be great.

Ioneonic

Compass Bon Jon Pass Tubeless 35mm, or Barlow Pass Tubed 38mm (I’ve got a used pair of the latter I’m about to sell). Spendy though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

30C S-Ones, fantastic, grip and comfort in abundance and no real sacrifice in speed. It’ll be hard to go back to anything smaller.

corroded
    Free Member

Challenge Strada Biancas here (after Panaracer Gravel King). Had a couple of unexpected punctures (on gravel) but other than that the ride quality is very good. I’d say 3.75 out of 5.

bob_summers

Challenge Strada Biancas here

Any good in tubeless flavour? I’ve had Conti 28’s (forget the model and the print’s worn off the sidewall) on my GT since new and they have been indestructible, on and off road. Would like to try tubeless next. 40c max, though bigger than 30c will mess with my mudguards.

FOG

The Schwalbe Pro ones for me in 28mm flavour. Really seem to make my bike roll faster and no different to the 25s fitted before

xyeti
    Free Member

VITTORIA Open Paves on my fast Aero road bike in 25mm & in 28mm on my road orientated CX bike.

I can vouch for their credentials in the Arenberg Forest and beyond. They roll so well and you can really lean them over on the road.

Also Spesh turbo’s as above, had a bad time with Duranos and the tyre sidewall and bead structure. Ripped and torn.

TiRed

Corsa G+ in 25c looks and feel half way to a 28c. Paves are great but are a standard 25c, unless you fancy iconic green.

nathb
    Free Member

These are getting good reviews, 300g for 28c version from said reviews: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-commuter-road-tyre/

Edit: missed the fast bit 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Schwalbe s-ones for me on one bike and g-ones on another.

richardthird

Compass. Developed by Jan Heine, handmade by Panaracer in Japan and sold here by velovitality.co.uk. 26-44c. 650b also.

fatmax

Myself and most pals that I ride with are on Vittoria Corsa G+ graphene after a bad run on what used to be our favourite – Conti GP4000S – I had an exploding sidewall.

faustus

I’m using Specialized Roubaix Pros in 30/32 flavour, very impressed with speed and grip, and decent weight too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I ran a set of these on my CXer for a European bike packing trip and had no issues at all with them.
    38c mind.. so might not fit your frame.

traildog
    Free Member

IMO wide tyres are shite. I wouldn’t want to drag round some 30c plus tyre all year for the sake of the odd trip to “flemish cobbles” – just swap them when you need to.

I find the opposite. Wide tyres provide a big improvement to comfort, grip and rolling resistance. The only downside I can see is weight but I would only strip the bike to it’s lightest if I was doing a hill climb or similar.

I’m using Schwable ones as tubeless.

IHN

Vittoria voyager hyper (32,35,38c, I’ve got 35’s) are unbelievably fast and light. Cheap from PlanetX too.

This

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Fast fat road tyres? What is the tyre du jour?’ is closed to new replies.