Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fast bike required!!!
  • nearnshaw

Hello there …

So I’ve been exposed to mtb challenges last year for the first time and discovered that I really enjoy them and I’m actually quite good at them!!! I finished in the top third in the last one I did. I ride in Calderdale every week with a bunch of experienced guys who offer me loads of hints and tips about what I should / should not be doing and give me a benchmark against which to compare myself. I think I’m doing pretty well. My bike is a 10 year old Santa Cruz Superlight which I love but it is a bit tired now. It has served its purpose but now it is time to move on or up a league. Some of the fastest people I know can ride off-road on rigid bikes which has taught me that maybe full suspension isn’t really necessary if I could improve my skills! Last weekend I took a Scott Scale 930 carbon framed 29er out for a demo ride and loved it. I’m on the cusp of buying it BUT with little or no experience of other bikes I wondered if I could make better use of my £2k? Interested in other members views.

somouk
    Free Member

The best thing to do is test ride as many as possible to find the right frame for you and then pick a kit level you feel will be adequate and within budget.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep in the last race I saw there were 2 guys on rigid 9r’s right up there, there was also a guy on a heckler in the top 20 🙂 (2 day race 50km each day)

What sort of things are you entering?
    Short course XC laps?
    Long natural stuff?

How are you skills, the amount of travel (and the bike)balanced with the rider can change the amount of effort. Too much bike is hard work not enough is too.

Would suggest demo or at least a good look round. When is your next event?

Some of the nice XC bikes I have seen recently
    Rocky Element 26 or 29
    Cube AMS
    SC blur xc

nearnshaw

Thanks guys, I’ll be doing 20 / 30 mile XC events in Calderdale and maybe further afield too. Prob more long natural stuff than short XC laps. My skills are coming on well but still masses of room for improvement, esp steep technical ascents. I’ve been told that 100mm of travel up front is plenty and from the test ride on the Scott I’m inclined to agree.

I’ve got a few demo events in my diary so I should prob do them before deciding.

Just wondered why you suggested three full suss bikes and not hardtails? I was working on the assumption that with £2k to spend I’d get much more bang for my buck with a hardtail?

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes but no but yes, consider 2nd hand also.

Just seen most xc round my way on short travel full sus (except for some of the winners – who were all at nationals this weekend) for natural stuff the short travel full sus may give a nicer ride for the duration and help with some of the tech bits you get on natural as opposed to some of the easier man made courses.

nearnshaw

Too many choices and options! Thanks for the advice 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look at that Cannondale Scalpal in the classifieds?

radoggair
    Free Member

i’m guessing when you say challenges you mean 30+ miles. XC is about 25-30 all in. Also, top 1/3rd out of 500 competitors only put you in top 160 or so.

What do all/mainly all top riders ride. Well frame choice is up to them, whatever is in there budget or supplied by shop/sponsor but generally will be carbon and HT. If your going FS then a spark/superfly 100mm is sufficient. Mostly HT though because nothings to technical to be needing anything more. Component choice will be mainly xt/xtr level with generally light wheelset (crest rims on 29er weight). finishing kit is personal but its mainly light carbon kit ( see kcnc/mt zoom etc), brakes are max 160mm rotors and forks max 120mm (mainly 100mm tho on 29er especially). Your bike therefore is personal choice but it should weigh no more than 23lb tops, head towards 20lb if possible. You cant go wrong really and there is no correct answer, try before you buy and upgrade where possible

Once you get your bike as you would like it, get the training in. Thats where the great are seperated from the good

sputnik
    Free Member

Not owned one myself but a Specialized Epic has always been race ready IMO . Crossed the line first at the Olympics…

radoggair
    Free Member

dont think that was the 2k version , maybe the 8k version and he rider on it is above average

sputnik
    Free Member

Don’t need 8k…S-Works carbon frame reduced to £1299 from here :
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-SWorks-Epic-FSR-Carbon-Frame-2207-18-0.html

Use the change to find more bargains on classifieds etc and you will have a bike around 2k with World Cup and Olympic winning pedigree 🙂
    Still won’t turn you into Jaroslav Kulhavy though!
    £1299 bargaintastic

nearnshaw

Again chaps, thank you for all the feedback! Certainly giving me food for thought.

[/quote] Once you get your bike as you would like it, get the training in. Thats where the great are seperated from the good

This is exactly what I intend to do. I’ve been averaging around 30 miles per week over winter in all conditions along with a one or two gym sessions a week. Looking forward to the lighter nights and drier trails now! Oh and a shiny new bike to enjoy them on too. That Specialized looks the dogs 😛

backinireland
    Free Member

I’ve swopped from SC Blur classic to an on-one whippet

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/YBSH214712/on_one_whippet_x9_mountain_bike_2013___white_and_red___18_inch

Built up myself with a 2nd hand frame.

Very light and fast.

Nice light wheelset and light tyres makes a great xc race rig

nearnshaw

That is a great frame – 29er carbon hard tail is def winning my vote so far all things considered!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fast bike required!!!’ is closed to new replies.