Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fast 29er tubeless tyre 80% road 20% off road ? Freds ?
  • womp
    Free Member

Hi first time poster with another tyre question 😀

I did do a search but without much success sorry

I’m after a fast 29er tubeless ready tyre for a 200 mile ride, 80% road and 20% off road (canal path/fireroad)

As a starting point i was thinking of furious Fred’s ?

Wheel set is Easton EA70XCT

Rider + kit = 75kg

Thanks

darrell
    Free Member

furious freds will be perfect

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Smart Sam Evo 1.75″ could be another option. A little more durable and they have a near enough constant centre tread pattern which makes them fast for smoother surfaces.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Freds are very delicate, I’ve had one on tubeless but not confident in running it far. Maxxis Crossmarks inflated quite hard would be my choice, almost continuous centre tread

slparsons
    Free Member

I’m running some of the Smart Sam 1.75’s for the sort of riding you describe; I’d recommend them, noticably lighter than the 2.1″ Crossmarks they replaced.

lovewookie

Crossmarks are very quick and capable, Geax Saguaro’s are impressively quick too for a full size tyre.

cp
    SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Any particular reason for going tubeless? If you’re doing 80% road and only light offroad I’d be looking at a more touring orientated tyre like the Marathon Plus or perhaps Big Apples.

I believe the folding versions of both will mount tubeless with a Stans kit.

STATO
    Free Member

Do you know the quality of the track on the off road section (riden it before?), what time of year is the ride (likely to by drier?). Id be looking at a full slick unless your expecting serious mud on the canal path, fireroads on slicks are fine, just have to take care on corners. Something like a 35mm marathon or ideally something lighter. Infact, id be doing it on a road/cross bike if you could hire one.

andyl46
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathon mondiale, my adventure racing tyre of choice for mostly road and some off road.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Kenda small block 8 might be worth a look , planet x had them for 10 quid each a while back .

garage-dweller

I would say a touring tyre like a marathon or the conti equivalent. If it’s 80% road that’s where i would pitch it.

womp
    Free Member

Hi

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it

SprocketJockey – the reason i want tubeless ready is errrr mmmmmm good point, i just fell back on TR as my default position as i have compatible rims and its what i have always used with no issues and never had a puncture/tear that has not sealed, id certainly have no wish to go back to tubes but guess i could try to seal some standard tyres.

Stato – no not ridden the off sections before but had a look on Google maps and what i can see does look like well maintained canal path and it will be in a few months so hopefully dry, i agree it should be rideable on a slick tyre

So iv narrowed it down to the following

MTB :
    * Fred (360g, TR)
    * Smart Sam (435g)
    * Marathon mondial (760g 28×1.75/825g 28×2.00)

Im sure they will all be fine on the limited off road sections so i guess i should be leaning towards to Mondial as the tread will be faster on the road? it just seems heavy! also are the sizes iv selected correct for a 29er and will it mount up tubeless ?

Schwalbe.com

richP

I’ve run 2″ furious freds, 35c kojak slicks and 2″ big apples for roadwork on my 29er.

On the road the freds felt as fast or faster than the other two. The low weight and supple casing seemed to give a nice fast and comfy ride.
    The kojaks felt dead by comparison, although this could be due to the the fact that they were the cheaper wired version..?

I also did a fair amount of off-road on the freds and the big apples and both coped fine (although the big apples were interesting in the mud…).
    The freds did seem susceptible to flint punctures (2 in 2 rides around the South Downs Way in summer) but I never had any punctures in either the freds or big apples whilst riding on the road or on less rocky fireroad. This is likely to have been helped by the fact that the freds and big apples were run as tubeless.

andyl46
    Free Member

I run the mondials tubeless, but they had the most porous sidewalls I’ve ever encountered. Took a lot of fluid and shoogling to seal them. They’re not light, so for what you are describing, maybe a semi-slick CX tyre would work better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fast 29er tubeless tyre 80% road 20% off road ? Freds ?’ is closed to new replies.