Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fashion Police Alert: Find me a chain guard
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I want to ride the 2.5 miles to my office on my day one alfine without having to change out of office clothes.

I’ve got full guards on it, but I’d like a chain guard to stop me messing my troos on the oily stuff.

Can anyone recommend a chain guard that’ll fit (and not look too ridiculous) on a 40t single ring?

Cheers
    Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

Bump, since I have just remembered that I still need one of these

StirlingCrispin

Hebi chainglider

You want a front part and a rear part
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/hebie-chainglider-30-front-part-350-f-chain-guard/aid:418045

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/hebie-chainglider-rear-part-350-r-chain-guard/aid:418080

I have one on my bike and it rocks – only oil the chain once a month.

StirlingCrispin

Ah – but they fit 38t or 42t.

1) Change your chain ring.
    2) Run the 42t a bit big

tomhoward

Tuck your trews into your sock?

IA

I want to ride the 2.5 miles to my office on my day one alfine without having to change out of office clothes.

I’ve got full guards on it, but I’d like a chain guard to stop me messing my troos on the oily stuff.

I take the high tech approach of rolling up my trouserlegs. Any reasons you can’t just do this?

shermer75
    Free Member

SKS Chainboard. A tenner to you my friend

shermer75
    Free Member
    Gotama
    Free Member

I have the bioglide thing in shermers link as it came on the folding bike I’ve got. Have to say it works a lot better than I expected it to. No noticeable noise and stops any oil on clothes when lifting the bike around. Based on the appearance of mine it looks like you just cut it to length as well.

packer
    Free Member

Velo Orange make a nice simple and slightly retro looking polished alloy one.

Available in the UK from here:
    http://freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/Accessories.html

packer
    Free Member

That BioLogic one looks really good.
    I remember someone at my school had a neon pink one of those on his BMX back in the 80s….

Just saw someone has them on eBay cheaper than the Amazon link above (£17.99 inc delivery).
    Worth noting that you get enough to do two bikes with, so price is actually quite cheap.

BigDummy
    Free Member

These are a very good idea for a town bike I think.

My Big Dummy wouldn’t toleratethe SKS Chainboard for some reason, so I use a large bashring. This actually does the vast majority of the job. I’d not risk it in cream slacks though.

🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Buy the dedicated alfine crank? 39 or 44 tooth as I recall in nifty black or sparkling silver with built in chain guard.

alfabus
    Free Member

I take the high tech approach of rolling up my trouserlegs. Any reasons you can’t just do this?

because I am a tart.

that biologic thing looks like it might be a goer for my commuter bike… and I’ll pick up the slightly spoddy looking chainboard for the xtracycle I built at the weekend 🙂

Cheers all,
    Dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fashion Police Alert: Find me a chain guard’ is closed to new replies.