Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Fashion advice: MA1 jackets
  • wwaswas

I do like how they look but worried about perceptions of one being worn by a 50+ year old bloke with short hair who always wears jeans and DM’s. I had one in my teens when I was a mod but not sure what message it gives wearing one now.

Green – will I just look like an ex Skinhead/NF member who now supports Britain First?

Black – I’m auditioning as a bouncer in Phoenix Nights?

Blue – should have just gone for green you wimp?

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/clothing-c287/flight-jackets-c834/alpha-ma-1-c842/ma-1-flight-jacket-p8412

or just “No, don’t even go there’

tbh, will probably mostly be worn for walking the dog (so about 3 hours a day…). I’d ask my kids but they’d just laugh.

natrix
    Free Member

Wear it inside out and pretend to be a downed airman 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

If you wear one jacket that you probably really shouldn’t but what the **** you’re only alive once so go for it and we promise we won’t laugh today….

midlifecrashes

You should proudly wear any military kit you were issued.

johnners
    Free Member

Just make sure you get the correct banned dog breed to go with it and you’ll be fine.

wwaswas

any military kit you were issued.

’58 pattern webbing for the win!

nickc

will I just look like an ex Skinhead/NF member who now supports Britain First?

Yes, you will. (true of all of the colours), jeans, bomber, short hair, DMs shouts Britain First, sorry. It’s like the St George’s flag, even if you use/wear it ironically, your still wearing the fashion choice of the right wing foot-soldier

In a moment a certain stw-er will pop up to tell you that military wear is not fashion…but yeah, your first instinct to “not go there” is probably, on reflection, a good decision.

fasthaggis

Just go for it.. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

You are Gripper Stebson and I claim my £5 dinner money.

wwaswas

Just go for it..

Blue jumper with a green jacket. Good grief!

thanks all – probably confirmed what I already knew.

M1951 Parka it is then 🙂

nickc

yep, much classier…

plyphon
    Free Member

If you want to go particularly hypebeast, Alpha Industries currently do the de facto streetwear MA1:

Men's Flight & Bomber Jackets

(as i’ve just seen you link in your OP)

Best worn with a set of cropped or rolled up jeans, RedWings in the winter or white tennis socks and Vans / New Balance / etc any other time of the year for that contemporary ‘I work in a bar but buy £200 trainers’ look.

chip
    Free Member

Wear some kickers and grow your hair long with a centre parting and you will look like an old school raver.

johnners
    Free Member

thanks all – probably confirmed what I already knew.

Don’t give up on your dreams, wwaswas, just buy one for the bedroom.

legend
    Free Member

It even has a Remove Before Flight ribbon 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

I loved my Technics MA1 jacket but it was 1995 and I was a 19 year old who listened to a lot of repetitive beats. Not sure I’d wear one now.

wwaswas

Buzz Ricksons do some good stuff;

https://www.buzzricksons.com/jackets-c-49.html

(I’ve been reading too much William Gibson recently, it’s made an impression)

5plusn8
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    You are Gripper Stebson and I claim my £5 dinner money.

£5??? Wrong century son, it was 50p.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I quite like military style jackets, what I dislike are the military or pseudo-military rank badges and unit flashes.

Maybe it’s just me…

john_l
    Free Member

Think you’ve got the right (wrong) breed of dog for any NF associations. 🙂

footflaps

will I just look like an ex Skinhead/NF member who now supports Britain First?

Yep.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think it’s cool if you wear it with the right stuff. Top gear jeans and CFH flight shoes then its a no.

So in short, it depends.

Also, wear what you want. Unless it’s the above.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We should all chip in to buy you the Mars Mission one –

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Actually, get the M65 Freedom because nothing says revolution like a jacket pre-printed with slogans.

Break the rules, man!

(can’t find the version of this that has the ***’d out swearing on it but pretty sure there is one)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had a few when I was a youth and I still like the styling but probably wouldn’t wear one now. To be honest if I put one on now it would complete the look I’m rocking today – blue levis, fred perry, ox blood made in england dm’s – it’s the missing part 🙂

wwaswas

That’s mostly me Gary_M – although I tend to wear a check shirt.

Quite liking this one, similar style but cotton so it doesn’t have that immediate ‘shiney nylon’ look that stands out…

https://www.buzzricksons.com/tank-jacket-2nd-patt-olive-combat-winter-p-44.html

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Just wear a dark Harrington jacket – Much more subtle & not stolen by the right wing….. I do like the ‘bomber’ jacket tho.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh a harrington is a nicer option, more mod than skinhead

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I wanted to get an M65 Jacket, but I have that awful fear of looking like a ****

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I wanted to get an M65 Jacket, but I have that awful fear of looking like a ****

I love my M65. tough, practical and classic. Like anything, kind of depends what you wear it with.

Never liked the MA1 even back in the 90’s

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Fashion advice: MA1 jackets’ is closed to new replies.