• This topic has 83 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chr1s.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Farnborough
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

is the worst place in the world.

how does it not win reccuring Crap Town titles every year?

wow

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s next to Aldershot.

And Camberley.

Both prime candidates too.

We are talking about the Hampshire Farnborough aren’t we?

andymc06
    Free Member

I assume you are basing this on the town centre which is about to undergo an £80 miillion re-development. There are some nice areas of Farnborough and mile after mile of excellent singletrack on MOD land.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

most definitely basing it on the town centre, i took a courtesy bus from our office complex into town, when i arrived i was convinced that bus had been a time capsule. Life on Mars. i would implore everyone to visit, its astounding.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I was just about to post in defence of Farnborough, given that I’ve enjoyed playing at the Tumbledown Dick on several occasions – a couple of hundred year old pub with a good sized music venue out the back, run by nice people. It turns out that Farnborough has recently granted McDonalds permission to rip the place down and build a ‘restaurant’ instead, which is about as crap as town-based crapness can get.

ninfan
    Free Member

Jebus, if you think Farnborough centre is bad, you really don’t want to try a bus to Aldershot

allthepies
    Free Member

I am typing this within 500m of said shopping centre* 🙂

* F’boro not Aldershot

wordnumb
    Free Member

Mind you, with that many military planes buzzing around each year you wouldn’t want to build anything too nice in case of things landing unexpectedly.

Peyote
    Free Member

Wordnumb – Interestingly there’s loads of new development (residential and business) going on all around the airport, prime targets for stray aircraft of all kinds!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind but Farnborough was actually revamped some time ago. They did it so well they need to do it again! The upcoming revamp of Aldershot looks great on paper. I will watch with interest to see how it pans out, and to see who will buy the very expensive apartments they plan for the Cambridge hospital. Full marks though to the contractor who did the work on Smith Dorrien House – it looks great now.

wordnumb
    Free Member

There I go again, assuming common sense to be common.

🙄

stewartc
    Free Member

Raised in Aldershot and spent most of my early working years in Farnborough (and my first flat in Cove), I am never in a rush to return to either. Is Farnborough town centre still the same since the 90’s, I remember it being grim back in 98 when I was last there?

tonyd

Tumbledown Dicks has been closed for a good few years now. While I agree that a fast food restaurant might not be ideal at least they might stop the building falling down.

And yes, Farnborough is a hole. Some fantastic houses there though, we considered buying there recently because you can get a good sized, old, well built house there for reasonable (for this area) money. The wife didn’t really want the kids growing up amongst all the dirty folk down the precinct though 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is the Aldershat revamp still upcoming? It was upcoming when we moved there 15 years ago. It was still upcoming when we left 5 years later. Mind you, it does now have a Morrisons!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

how does it not win reccuring Crap Town titles every year?

Because Yate exists.

Is Farnborough town centre still the same since the 90’s,

No, it’s been ripped apart. New shops, big Sainsburys, VUE cinema opening in the summer (That said I reckon there’ll be too man cinemas round here soon…)

FWIW I’ve lived here 20-odd years now, and yes, there’s nicer places, but Farnborough suits me fine.
    There’s LOTS of good riding round here, transport links are fantastic (M3, A31 and 3 stations very close) I can afford to live here, and there’s plenty of jobs…..

So, OP, where do you live? Some amazing private island in the sun…..?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Because Yate exists.

…somewhere, deep beneath the Tesco mothership.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Does it not have a VUE cinema now?

Seemed to have gone up market when I was there last week.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…somewhere, deep beneath the Tesco mothership.

LOL!! 😀

Yeah, they certainly made an impact with that one!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was just about to post in defence of Farnborough, given that I’ve enjoyed playing at the Tumbledown Dick on several occasions – a couple of hundred year old pub with a good sized music venue out the back, run by nice people. It turns out that Farnborough has recently granted McDonalds permission to rip the place down and build a ‘restaurant’ instead, which is about as crap as town-based crapness can get.

**cracks knuckles**

I used to spend a LOT of time in the Tumbly. I worked there for a while too.
    Here’s the facts that the ‘Friends of the Tumbledown’ won’t tell you:

The place was falling down. The rooms were damp, the carpet and decor filthy, the kitchen a health hazard (Which is what eventually closed it down, someone got ill and complained, HSE went in) and the beer badly kept. I wouldn’t drink anything that didn’t come in a bottle form there, and a friend of mine got very ill on the bad beer once
    Nice people? Yeah, they were, but the management and staff didn’t give a SHIT about the place. It was treated as a doss house. That’s why I didn’t work there long, I was sick of being the only one doing anything. When it closed, all the regulars and staff just went elsewhere, they didn’t care then*
    It was bought out by another brewery who decided it wasn’t a viable proposition as a pub, so they sold it again.
    By all accounts the inside was wrecked after years of standing empty too.

So yeah, whist i’d rather see it as a pub too, that’s not gonna happen, ever. So it’s better to let McDonalds do something with it rather than let it fall down or demolish it. It’s all work for someone.

*These are the people that have been kicking up a stink since McDonalds announced their plans. I know a couple of them from wayyyy back. But it’s cool to hate a big company these days, isn’t it, so on the bandwagon they jump, wailing and gnashing their teeth. Too late now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I work in Farnborough often. Yes, it’s a bit shit*, but it’s surrounded by great MTBing and if you head west great road riding too.

Not many places you can leave work and have a blast around the woods on the way back to your hotel..!

* ok so the centre is – but the suburubs have quite a lot of pleasant streets so the environment is quite nice

cinnamon_girl

I was just about to post in defence of Farnborough, given that I’ve enjoyed playing at the Tumbledown Dick on several occasions – a couple of hundred year old pub with a good sized music venue out the back, run by nice people.

😀 It was one of my daughter’s hang-outs and she was VERY goth at one time. 😯

Wonders if my daughter knew Mr Poddy, she looks nothing like me Pete. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG, yeah, we’ve discussed this before. I’d say ‘probably, yes’ 🙂

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Do you remember the foot-high fungi growing underneath each urinal in the toilets at the club entrance of the Tumbledown Pete?

Had some great times in that place (not the gents) but it was neglected for decades and the beer was dire.

As for Farnborough town centre, I only go there if I absolutely have to, but the local riding is great and there are plenty of transport links to other good riding too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Incidentally I may be down there again very shortly, I wouldn’t mind someone showing me round the new trail centre..

cinnamon_girl

First house was in Cove, backed onto Hawley Woods. Blimey, got married there too. 😐

cinnamon_girl

Worked in Farnborough for a bit. Remember Kingsmead being updated in the 80’s.

natrix
    Free Member

Great riding, transport links, affordable housing, decent schools and enough jobs – what’s not to like?? If you want some shopping pop down to Farnham…….

deviant
    Free Member

With the rise of internet based shopping i expect most town centres to become dire over the coming years, wealthy areas may be ok as shops will be replaced with cafes, bars, restaurants etc but the age of having a nice high street with loads of independent and chain shops is gone in my opinion.
    Farnborough has the very concrete and very ugly shopping centres (Kingsmead, Queensmead, Princesmead etc) because people simply arent prepared to travel around shopping anymore, they want everything in one place for convenience, sad but true….so you have a town centre that contains a cinema, a gym, some chain shops, some chain restaurants and not much character unfortunately.

As others have said though, the suburbs are actually very pleasant with quiet streets and large houses, good travel links and loads of MoD land mountain biking.

wordnumb
    Free Member

@PeterProddy – Sad to read that, fairly common trend though it is. Whilst I’ll stick to my guns about giving McDonalds planning permission being a terrible idea – something I’ll never back down on since arriving in Florence by train – places falling into ruin through nostalgic inaction is also a bad thing.

andytherocketeer

far more eligble contenders tbh…
    boringstoke / basinghole
    swindon (even the singletrack behind nationwide doesn’t let that off the hook)
    bracknell
    woking

cinnamon_girl

As far as I know, those listed above were all designated ‘new towns’. Farnborough wasn’t therefore it’s a cut above those. 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Im from and still live in Ramsbottom up north. I have been working and staying in Central London the last few years and now im out in Farnborough.

I was looking forward to finding digs out here, bringing my bike down and enjoying some of these illustrious MOD trails of an evening – still staying in my London digs and commuting everyday seemed like a nightmare to me when i started, but having been doing it for a couple of months now, i cant wait to GTF outta here after work and back to London!

mudshark
    Free Member

First house was in Cove, backed onto Hawley Woods

Was that Cove? I lived on Sandy Lane for a year or so and figured Cove was south of the M3 as there was a sign saying ‘Welcome to Cove’ when I drove that way.

So yeah I worked in Farnborough at Data Sciences/IBM near the centre before leaving for London and never to return in ’98. Well I did return once to see the centre flattened some years ago. I mostly went to Camberley which had a few clubs I could cope with. Used to run in Hawley woods and sometimes came across tanks and army men.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll change your mind on a summer evening on Tunnel Hill, I’m sure 🙂

If Farnborough itself depresses you that much stay in Farnham.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you remember the foot-high fungi growing underneath each urinal in the toilets at the club entrance of the Tumbledown Pete?

I’ve tried to forget needing the loo in the Tumbly…….

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Farnborough isn’t great, bit its nowhere near the worst place in the world.
    Peckham, new cross, dalston, and anywhere north of the Watford gap. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Farnborough isn’t great, bit its nowhere near the worst place in the world.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve lived here longer than anywhere else now, but I’m originally from Sutton-in-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, so I know what Mansfield was like…..
    **shudders**

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

my comments were just about the town centre tbf, im sure the surrounding areas are lovely.

so what is the riding actually like round here? any comparisons? ive just read tunnell hill trolls website and it says they mainly use single speed and rigid bikes? if theres not much technical stuff i dont mind giving it a miss…

robdob
    Free Member

Wow I hope some of you guys don’t ever come to Todmorden, home of STW, if you dislike Farnborough so much. Some great riding up here but boy are some of the towns struggling.

And we don’t get big payouts when we flood up here which doesn’t help…..

FWIW I think Farnborough town centre isn’t the best but it’s improving. It’s honest and it’s trying hard. Plus PP lives there so that adds 20% to its awesomeness factor. 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

I have a friend who comes from Mansfield ( I am from Sutton) and we take turns to say how bad it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Farnborough’ is closed to new replies.