Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Farleton Knott
  • Vinte
    Free Member

I went climbing at Farleton Crag on Saturday, when I was walking back to the car I noticed quite a good looking mountain bike track. I think I might give it ago next time I’m in the area.

How long has the track been there? I’ve never noticed it before.

mrh86

Been there quite a while I think. Check out the routes on bogtrotters website. Some really good bits there.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Been there 3 or 4 years now (I take it you mean the singletrack that runs from the crag to the edge of the quarry). Some belting jumps down at the bottom – worth a few runs through.

Cracking little spot for a ride and underused by bikers. You can link 3 decent climbs and descents, all criss-crossing the summit for a decent morning’s riding.

Vinte
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll check it out.

grum
    Free Member

According to a mate it used to be a proper DH track with big berms etc a long while ago – they had televised races there and everything apparently!

Good little track still though.

Vinte
    Free Member

I’m assuming as the area is a Nature Reserve that biking is discouraged, that could explain why the large berms you mention Grum are no longer there.

alexxx
    Free Member

Still a fair bit of downhilling up there, I don’t think its worth the venture so never go, used to a bit back, fairly fun but nothing serious

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’d say it’s a fun bit of cross country but certainly not demanding enough to warrant a big bike. Been up there with a 6″ Elsworth and felt completely over-biked.

Trampus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quE00DmFW6o[/video]

I agree with Shib.

I’ve only ever ridden it on a Fujitsu Sunfire! 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

The dh bit isn’t where the obvious bit is, das is all

robhornby89
    Free Member

I’ve just moved to lancaster, looking for a place to ride, can any of you tell me the best way to get there/place to park and get started?

jwt
    Free Member

Don’t recognise any of the DH run that was on Farlton in that vid?
    As far as I remember Darren Howarth had a hand in building the original track and it was used as a NAMBS venue, and was described as world cup standard at the time.
    Maybe I’m thinking of someewhere else?

grum
    Free Member

robhornby89 – I live in Lancaster, I could show you at some point, it’s not that easy to explain. Or I believe the bogtrotters go up there reasonably often. Think I’m going to head up there today actually. 🙂

jwt – that’s not the bit I know of either – I normally go on the bit on the other side that comes down from the climbing crags and cuts across the limestone pavement. Pretty sure that’s the bit that used to be a proper DH course.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

robhornby89 – Member

I’ve just moved to lancaster, looking for a place to ride, can any of you tell me the best way to get there/place to park and get started?

Easiest way is to go through Burton in Kendal (from Pine Lakes side) and about half a mile out of the village, turn right signposted Clawthorpe. I think there’s a caravan site or something next to the turn off. About half a mile up that road there are a few trails heading off to the left – plenty of laybys and verges to park on.

It’s a nice compact place to explore – the bit in the vid is down the north side, loads of little trails through the gorse bushes.

Have fun!

robhornby89
    Free Member

grum – yeah that’d be sweet if we could link up one day, but i cant do weekends, i only get weds thurs off if not i’ll have to keep trying myself, is there any other good spots for dh?

jwt
    Free Member

There is something up in the Kentmere valley, but as I don’t know who built it, its best I don’t say too much…….however if you’re in the area and happen across it…………..

samcamsdad

There are two tracks on farlton, the old race track on the front, and some new illegal stuff round the back. both good fun to ride, but look out for the farmers, have been known to threaten bikers with big guns

Jwt, what did you reckon to the stuff that may or may not be in kentmere? 😉

Horse
    Free Member

This is at Farleton last month.

grum
    Free Member

rob – weekends are not usually good for me either. Weds or Thursdays are often ok for me. I know where the stuff in Kentmere is too but it’s mostly too ‘core for me. 🙂

Email in profile if you want to get in touch.

This is at Farleton last month.

Cool vid. Just been up there today and took a few pics.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/5577872592/]Farleton DH-5[/url] by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/5577869390/]Farleton DH-2[/url] by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/5577870484/]Farleton DH-3[/url] by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/5577285549/]Farleton DH-4[/url] by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

robhornby89
    Free Member

grum – yeah i’m up for some riding, dont think i’ll be able to make it this week, unfortunately got to attend to the missus’ wants and demands (and no it isn’t new bits for the bike!) this may make me sound really dim, but not sure how to send you a PM on here, if you could buzz me then i’ll get in touch

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Farleton Knott’ is closed to new replies.