• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Del.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fargo… not the Salssa frame….
  • alpin
    Free Member

have been away for the past two weeks with holidays and work.

sat down last night to catch up on the last two remaining episodes of Fargo.

left me feeling rather let down. didn’t really go anywhere, did it. and all the answers to the odd questions never appeared….

“why do we see more shades of green?”

“man throws glove out of train…”

it was fun whilst it lasted, but i’m glad it’s over.

i get the feeling lots of American tv shows are similar… big budgets,great actors and storylines that go nowhere.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Overall I liked it but I agree there were a lot of bits that were a bit untidy. I wanted to know what happened to the money that the supermarket owner re-burried in the snow (I guess the answer is that it remained there until the spring). And why Malvo didn’t have the almighty hump about not getting his hands on the money.

LMT
    Free Member

The family found the money at the start of the episode where he buried it, we didn’t see what they did with it.

They were arguing in the car, husband gets out to pee in the snow and finds the scraper and then finds the money.

alpin
    Free Member

thanks soma…. i meant more in the context of the storyline.

exactly, the money in the snow. why was the guy even involved? had nothing to do with Tim, sorry, Lester.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, the ending was shite. Don’t like it!

🙄

alpin
    Free Member

LMT.. that family that found it/ the guy having a pee was the supermarket guy. he had used the money to build his supermarket chain… kinda like a flashback thing… forget what you call itz in English (been away too long).

BigDummy
    Free Member

I wanted to know what happened to the money that the supermarket owner re-burried in the snow

I don’t think this needs answering within the series. Carl had buried it in the film, and it was still there for Stavros to find in the series because Carl was fed into a wood-chipper.

Now Stavros has re-buried it to appease god, and it can be found again in another series of Fargo, a film, another series of something else. Or it can just stay there.

🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The family found the money at the start of the episode where he buried it, we didn’t see what they did with it.

That was the back story of the supermarket guy. He had the Ice scraper framed on his office wall to reinforce that.

molgrips
    Free Member

i get the feeling lots of American tv shows are similar… big budgets,great actors and storylines that go nowhere

I don’t think so – there’s so much top drawer telly coming from the US these days, it’s great.

We watched some light-hearted stuff (Castle, Warehouse 13) but recently started watching Justified, which is bloody brilliant. I never normally like that kind of thing but this is really excellent. Stylish but also earthy and subtly funny.

alpin
    Free Member

don’t watch much TV.

remember starting to watch Six Feet Under and then thinking “why?”. just kinda went nowhere and drifted off course.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It can be found again in another series of Fargo, a film, another series of something else. Or it can just stay there.

That point is fair enough, not every loose end needs to be tied up but Malvo didn’t get a large chunk of money that he had worked for. I reckon his character would have gone to great lengths to either get that money or to take his revenge for not getting it. The story jumped forward 2(?) years after that event so it’s not like he didn’t have time to find out what happened.

BigDummy
    Free Member

his character would have gone to great lengths to either get that money or to take his revenge for not getting it.

Agreed, it’s certainly a loose end. My rationalisation is that Malvo must have thought it was too risky that Stavros would have rumbled him.

I actually really enjoyed the last episode. I was totally gripped. By that stage, you know Malvo is terrifying, but he’s really rather engaging. And you really, really don’t want anything bad to happen to Molly and her family. By the time Malvo had cut off the FBI’s back-up, and Lou and Greta were sitting on the porch with their guns I was honestly scared for them but still wanted Malvo to win. I’d completely lost sight of Gus. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is simply a “different kinds of people” riff, isn’t it?

Malvo wouldn’t drop his glove.

Lester would drop his glove, but he’d hold onto the other one because he’d rather have 1 glove than someone else have a pair.

If Molly, Gus, Greta, Lou or Bill dropped 1 glove, they’d rather someone else had the pair than 2 people each had 1 glove each.

Jamie
    Free Member

That point is fair enough, not every loose end needs to be tied up but Malvo didn’t get a large chunk of money that he had worked for. I reckon his character would have gone to great lengths to either get that money or to take his revenge for not getting it

I think Malvo is just motivated by chaos, and not money.

This is why he was happy to spend 6+ months becoming a dentist just to locate his next target, when the payoff was only £100k. As well as being quite happy with knackering the contract by killing 4 people in the lift.

The fact he takes every opportunity to **** with people, getting the kid to piss in the gas tank, telling the family in Lester’s old house about the murders etc etc, makes me think this is the case.

I’m probably wrong.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

BIG TIME SPOILERS IN HERE

By the time Malvo had cut off the FBI’s back-up, and Lou and Greta were sitting on the porch with their guns I was honestly scared for them but still wanted Malvo to win. I’d completely lost sight of Gus.

Maybe that’s why there was a hint of dissatisfaction with the outcome, I guess I was really hoping that somehow Molly and her father would be ok but also that Malvo would live to fight another day. If it wasn’t for his relationship with Molly I would happily have seen Gus suffer some kind of industrial accident. He was easily my least favourite character and that also irked that he ended up being the guy that takes out the admittedly severely weakened Malvo.

thepurist

What happened to Mr Wrench too – the deaf hit man. Maybe he’ll reappear in Fargo 2.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What happened to Mr Wrench too – the deaf hit man. Maybe he’ll reappear in Fargo 2

Come to think of it he could tie the whole thing together.

Malvo bowled up at the hospital to congratulate Mr Wrench on getting so close to taking him out and ends up giving him the keys to the handcuffs that are restraining him to the bed, I think he also tells him to come pay him a visit when he gets out.

Now at the time I thought that was a challenge, a kind of “Come and have a go if you’re hard enough” but it could be that Malvo was looking for a partner. That partnership could have happened in the intervening time between the Fargo massacre and the dentist storyline.

shifter
    Free Member

Malvo by Billy-Bob was a great character – there’s a prequel to be made there.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That partnership could have happened in the intervening time between the Fargo massacre and the dentist storyline.

I love this idea.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Malvo’s leg though eh? Awesome.

IdleJon

Jamie – Freeloader! But we still like him

That point is fair enough, not every loose end needs to be tied up but Malvo didn’t get a large chunk of money that he had worked for. I reckon his character would have gone to great lengths to either get that money or to take his revenge for not getting it

This is why he was happy to spend 6+ months becoming a dentist just to locate his next target, when the payoff was only £100k. As well as being quite happy with knackering the contract by killing 4 people in the lift.

The fact he takes every opportunity to **** with people, getting the kid to piss in the gas tank, telling the family in Lester’s old house about the murders etc etc, makes me think this is the case.

I’m probably wrong.

I agree with you.

I had a feeling at one point that Malvo would turn out to be the devil, or similar. He had no back-story, no motivation other than causing chaos, and was strangely superhuman. He wanted people to commit wrong.

There’s an article in Dirt Rag this month about the riding around Duluth. Looks nice! 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

This, completely. It was clear from the first episode when he killed Lester’s bully. He had no financial motive for doing this, he just did it because it amused him.

I quite enjoyed the series – it suffered a bit through being compared to

a) the original movie which is an all time classic (I’ve seen it loads of times and no doubt will watch it many more)

b) the incredibly high standard of current US drama. Compared to Breaking Bad, True Detective, Mad Men, GoTs etc it felt a bit 2nd division.

Still it was nice to have something decent to watch on a sunday night on free TV

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wasn’t the riddle about various shades of green something to do with Malvo’s “hunter” nature? Evolution had equipped some predator species with the ability to see different shades of green to defeat the victim’s camouflage.

Or something…

BigDummy
    Free Member

it suffered a bit through being compared to… the original movie which is an all time classic

I watched it again on Sunday because my evening felt empty. I’m not sure the movie is better personally. It’s a movie, it tells its entire story in a couple of hours. It’s a very different as a result. The 10-hour series has some advantages if the drama can be sustained.

My main feeling after re-watching the film was that the makers of the series had done an amazing job of achieving the same feel, but without descending into parody.

🙂

fasthaggis

Yup, I agree BD.

I also liked the way it had a flavour of Fargo the film without trying to be a larger version.

I really enjoyed watching it as much for the characters (including Gus) and the detail in some of the scenes ,as anything else.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Lester is the glove that Molly throwsout of the train – she’d never be happy to convict Lester without catching Malvo…

I loved the way it was shot, and the pace. Wasn’t so keen on the whole Stavros arc.

It did seem to wrap up pretty quicklly – alamost like theu could have stretched to another series but not quite…

Del

that’s an interesting idea ^, but i think it’s just that some people almost instinctively think of others, while some people just think of themselves.
    great series. who needs it all tied up neat anyway? american films and tv series used to be terrifically guilty of this, making them seem very twee in comparison to british stuff.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fargo… not the Salssa frame….’ is closed to new replies.