Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Farewell Singletrack Magazine – I won't be buying again (Goodbye content!)
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

That's it. Had enough of average, unimaginative and sometimes downright boring articles. I'll not buy another issue.

The inclusion of the 'Rock Climbers Weekly' article this month finally did my legs. It was like a sad 'Have I Got News For You' sketch.

Just another WHSmith browser.

Your t'interweb stories/comment/features are great with cheeky and interesting content but the mag just seems to have run out of idea's and is slowly dying.

ton

oohhh, you might get a email from someone in the hierarchy now.

MSP

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!!!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Youll incur the wrath of Mark. 😉

GW
    Free Member

think you've got a fair point* and can't see Mark or Chips etc. having a problem with you not liking it. I've only ever bought the mag once. it simply has nothing to offer me either. I like the website though.

* except "have I got news for you" isn't a sketch show

mcinnes
    Free Member

Fair enough. Personally I enjoyed this month's issue.

nickc

It always surprises me, Threads like this. What is it you want from ranting like this? What are you expecting to gain?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Strange realy the mag realy supports this forum, so no mag sales no forum

WAKEY WAKEY smell the flowers 👿

warpcow
    Free Member

I personally enjoyed the climbing article. Look at any other bike mag and there will be some two line blurb from their resident fitness 'expert' saying, "Complement your biking with X (skiing for example). It works some different stretchy body bits." At least ST actually made something of the idea, rather than padding the mag with fluff and extra ads.

Surprised hasn't been any complaints about the car-rack test yet. There was a lot of preemptive whinging about that after the last issue.

uplink
    Free Member

It always surprises me, Threads like this. What is it you want from ranting like this? What are you expecting to gain?

He's simply expressing an opinion – why should he need anything to lose or gain
    We all express opinions everyday without expecting anything

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So we HAVE to buy the mag to support the forum? F*ck off…

saladdodger
    Free Member

DBW if you were in business and wrote a magazine that no one buys would you do a sister web site for it

Er now let me think a minute what would your answer be?

Oh and to be honest I have not bought this months mag yet, I will get it for my holidays next week though

stevede
    Free Member

i'm not always impressed with the mag but thought this months was a pretty good read despite the climbing feature and the 29er test. You can't appeal to everyone all of the time but i don't often regret buying the mag. Keep up the good work st.

uplink
    Free Member

I quite like the mag most months – although this months is still in its wrapper
    not keen when it's photo heavy though

rjj
    Free Member

I too like the non bikey articles – in fact I would like to read a magazine that covered a variety of outdoor pursuits/adventure type of things instead of just focusing on the one discipline – anyone know of anything like this? When compared to other bike mags STW is actually readable rather than just viewable.

Clink

i'm not always impressed with the mag but thought this months was a pretty good read despite the climbing feature and the 29er test. You can't appeal to everyone all of the time but i don't often regret buying the mag. Keep up the good work st.

Absolutely – although I liked both those articles (29er rider and ex-climber 😉 ) I have not liked reviews of more dh (to me) in previous editions. Variety is good.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I am sure we can persuade WorldClassAccident to write one of his funny articles, possibly about this years Big Bike Bash.

What do you reckon, possibly a couple of free tickets for some competition winner?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I dont' read it very often as I'm normally too busy to get to a shop or have time to read, but I did pick up this months. I was a bit disappointed too, I thought the 29er article was dull, mostly because I'm nto interested and the bikes weren't really comparable. The two hardtails they compared weren't comparable either, so I didn't find that article all that relevant. On top of that I've no interest in reading about bike racks or rock climbing.

Now I don't have any problem with any of those articles being in the mag at one time or another, but to put them all in at the same time meant there wasn't room for much stuff that I was interested in.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are a lot of bikers who climb occasionally (I'm one of them) and climbers who enjoy biking (my missus). I see less of an issue here than the low point of WMB when they did a twenty page group test of commuting bikes a few years back.

nath86
    Free Member

READ DIRT!!!! BEST MTB MAG THERE IS!!!!

fivespot
    Free Member

+1 for Dirt. In a different league to other mtb mags 8)

ianv
    Free Member

Anyone who climbed would have found that article a load of twee claptrap.

The web site is good but the mag has never impressed.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I disagree, it was insightful and interesting. Even as someone who climbs now and again…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Disagree with OP.

But I think they need more and more varied contributors, but probably cannot afford them. Can we help?

Blower
    Free Member

exactly buzz,readers forum input here n there.

boxelder

Farewell Singletrack Magazine – I won't be buying again (Goodbye content!)

This explains why you're crying on your profile pic.

It's just a magazine – for perusing while half asleep and eating porridge or on the loo.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I trust the feedback from Singletrack more than I would WMB. The calibre of writing is excellent too.

glenncampbell

I for one liked the article and the rest of the magazine. I don't like every article published but that's life. As above I like the high calibre of writing and objective reviews.

big_scot_nanny

PJM1974 – Member
    I trust the feedback from Singletrack more than I would WMB. The calibre of writing is excellent too.

errrr, depends what you mean by quality of the writing. My mate, patent lawyer, imediately picked up on grammatical errors when reading it in my loo. Bad use of their, there, they're etc. Now, he may be, accurately, described as a tight arsed pedant. 🙂 BUt, still, has a point.

However, I think the overwhelming aim of the mag, the feel of it tries to put across, is absolutely bang on. Still refer to the Man and Boy article by Ed a few months ago. Simply wonderful.

Kev

convert

I thought this months mag was the best I've read since returning to the fold 9 or 10 months ago. Up with the best of the heady days back in 2004.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Compare the misuse of ownership tense and apostrophe to Dirt for example 😉

maxray
    Free Member

it is obviously going to appeal to you some months more than others, just as the forum has times where its full of rubbish threads or troll I have no interest in. it doesn't mean I will never visit them again. I do find these "goodbye" emails tiring… shut the door on your way out will you.

alpin
    Free Member

i think the mag does a very good job of being a bike mag when compared to other offerings.

it's not selling you the idea that bigger is better. they write about riding bikes as opposed to the "look at how freaking cool we are" reports you find in other mags.

my german friends comment on how the mag lay-out is different and 'scatty' in comparison to the german mags, which generally concern themselves about weights, frame stiffness and nutrition. i doubt you'll likely see an article revolving around beer in their pages.

i also know one of the arbeiters, Matt, as i used to go into his shop in Chelmsford from time to time before he took off up north. he bought me a pint once, too. i did how ever just buy a bike from him.

Talkemada
    Free Member

There's a magazine? 😯

GW
    Free Member

Dirt?
    Dirt's pretty **** awful now it's monthly!
    other than photo content the quality is pretty dire, always full of typos, truely awful grammar/spelling, schizophrenic reviews full of irelevant pics and mindlessly following fashion for the sake of it rather than using any sort of insight, poor advice and out of date articles.
    The latest issue is especially thin on content, don't buy it unless you want to compare the height and weight of the top DH WC riders. (actually that prob would appeal to a lot of STW forum users)
    Cunny's section is possibly the most mature, well written section each month 😯 .

Jamie
    Free Member

That's it. Had enough of average, unimaginative and sometimes downright boring articles. I'll not buy another issue.

…but did you really need to post about the fact though?

batman11
    Free Member

2nd that on dirt mag has gone down hill faster than a downhiller have not seen a good edition for around 2 years now shamw as for ST still one of the best reads to date in this and any country.

Batman.

boxelder

Forget grammatical errors, how often do ride guide descriptions bear little resemblance to the maps – Cy Cotic's training ride for e.g. (Sheffield/Hope Valley). Doesn't bother me, just never seems to be bemoaned.

GW
    Free Member

to be fair half of what I said about Dirt has always been true.

in Jerry's day as a serious magazine it was laughable, but the intent and enthusiasm was so strong it just didn't matter

M6TTF
    Free Member

I think the content is great, plenty of interesting articles to read. The layout is a little disappointing though, needs a bit more punch to jump off the shelf. I'm a happy convert 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Farewell Singletrack Magazine – I won't be buying again (Goodbye content!)’ is closed to new replies.