Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)
  • FAO doubters
  • j_me
    Free Member

Looks good.
    Take out some dental insurance first.

wwaswas

ah, is that AV stuff, I thought it was a forgotten corner of some cupboard at cynica-al’s work place.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al I stand by what I say.

No triangluation at all on the upper mount. Relying on the friction of bolts and glue to hold a brake calliper on is stupid.

If the mount was all one piece so had some rigidity then it might work – as it is?

toys19
    Free Member

Teej I think you will find an awful lot of railway bridges are held together by friction (admittedly when the friction fails then there is a second line of defence), and lots of CF bikes are essentially held together with glue. I have a Giant CAAD aluminium frame which is held together with glue. Lotus Elan, and I think Elise are glued together?

Its true the mount looks iffy, but lets try and solve this and not just use it as an excuse to lay into someone you have a personal vendetta against? Your behaviour here is unedifying.

xiphon
    Free Member

That looks like a shocking bodge.

You may be a skilled mechanic, but frame modification is not your forte…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – Looks iffy? 🙄 OK maybe I was a bit harsh but we can all see the flaws in it apart from Al who simply attacks the folk who point this out.

He claims to be right about everything to do with bikes based on his extensive education and experience and comes up with that? Its laughable

rOcKeTdOg

He claims to be right about everything to do with bikes based on his extensive education

i’d have liked to do that course, is it avaliable on the OU?

boblo
    Free Member

Toys, do you think your chassis or railway bridges are cobbled together by an amateur in a shed with zero engineering?

The problem here is not the materials it’s the execution (maybe CA’s execution if it fails).

The mount is relying on CF/epoxy holding in shear where it’s been splatted against the smooth Ti stay. How was the Ti prepped? How was the epoxy cured? Is it pukka fit for purpose stuff or Araldite from the shed? We know the answers to these questions BTW.

If the top mount is replaced by a triangular mount it can be jubilee clipped to the stay and will ‘only’ then have to resist the frictional forces of being pushed up the stay. It should resist this pretty well as stays typically get fatter towards the top and the jubilees will efectively tighten the more they are pushed (if that makes sense). The only other thing to watch then is that the jubilees are man enough for the job.

CA, cut yourself a big triangle and fix it to the stay with clips. The black scab will probably just peel off unless you keyed the Ti really well (i.e. f*cked up your stay good and proper), the epoxy won’t have taken well.

toys19
    Free Member

Well I’ve had a good think about this and had a chat with some of the other engineers here and we don’t think its as bad as it looks. The funny thing is everyone in the room (2 x phds, me an MSC and a recent grad) are trying to find how it works, not piss all over it.

If the line from the centre of the piston goes directly through the bolt and along the “spoon” then the spoon is in compression only, so it just relying on the glue and cf. But that assumes there is no eccentricity, which might be harder (read impossible) to achieve.

The glue and CF is the most likely failure..

If there is eccentricity then you get into bending moments about both single bolted joints on the mount. Defo bad news..

Either way we all agreed it’s not ready yet and is definitely not advisable to ride or use the bike in its current condition.

Toys, do you think your chassis or railway bridges are cobbled together by an amateur in a shed with zero engineering?

The problem here is not the materials it’s the execution (maybe CA’s execution if it fails).

The mount is relying on CF/epoxy holding in shear where it’s been splatted against the smooth Ti stay. How was the Ti prepped? How was the epoxy cured? Is it pukka fit for purpose stuff or Araldite from the shed? We know the answers to these questions BTW.

If the top mount is replaced by a triangular mount it can be jubilee clipped to the stay and will ‘only’ then have to resist the frictional forces of being pushed up the stay. It should resist this pretty well as stays typically get fatter towards the top and the jubilees will efectively tighten the more they are pushed (if that makes sense). The only other thing to watch then is that the jubilees are man enough for the job.

CA, cut yourself a big triangle and fix it to the stay with clips. The black scab will probably just peel off unless you keyed the Ti really well (i.e. f*cked up your stay good and proper), the epoxy won’t have taken well.

Boblo this is all true, just trying to be constructive/positive. I love a tryer/doer. There is a lot of talk on this forum, I personally admire Al for having a go. If he is daft enough to try and use this then Darwin will be proven right, but I like his heath robinson style..

Also it’s amusing watching TJ lay into him..

Houns

I love you Al

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – think about what happens as the calliper attempts to rotate around the lower mount – it will push the lower end of the top mount towards the seatstay. Teh force is parallel to the direction of travel of the disc in the centre of the pad – IE horizontally forwards

Teh top mount will not be in compression only – it will be pushed towards the seatstay with a great deal of force – remember you need to consider the bolted mounts as pivots not rigid.

Remember the magnitude of the forces here – thousands of newtons

Toys – remeber Al asked for advice – was given a load of good advoice which he has ignored completely.

toys19
    Free Member

This

Teh top mount will not be in compression only

Contradicts this

it will be pushed towards the seatstay with a great deal of force

I said the spoon (not the top mount) will be in compression only if it is in line with the bolt and centre of the pad/piston.

Toys – remeber Al asked for advice – was given a load of good advice which he has ignored completely.

Not all advice is good advice.

Anyway just trying to be constructive

Dobbo

I think we’ve finally found a use for Bikelean[img]http://bikelean.webs.com/photos/The-Bike-Lean-Stability-Tool/Bike-Lean.jpg[/img]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its the direction of teh force – the force will be applied to that “spoon” horizontally at its lower end So there will be a huge bending moment.

Its always hard to describe these things in words – diagrammes are really needed.

wwaswas

advice which he has ignored completely

Am I the only one not surprised?

bullheart
    Free Member

Screw all of you.

Al – rack it up to warp factor 10. I’ve just got a cover-teacher in to do my next three lessons in order to see how this develops…

TiRed

Think you’d have been better off with a decent sized P-clip (without the rubber). You’ve basically made a torque arm – standard on shimano roller hub brakes and rohloff hubs, with a poor frame attachment. I’d revisit the design and look at this solution

Notice the fixing point is something rigid!

boblo
    Free Member

Hey Toys, in the interests of being constructive/positive, why not get one of your boffin colleagues to do the calcs on this? Empirical data will at least stop TJ speculating about ‘thousands of Newtons’ and might actually go some way to prove the errrm, ‘design’. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Well it has been done by me this morning and reviewed by the others but we all have worries about liability insurance etc so no can do.

The only sure answer is that it will fail.

iDave
    Free Member

Al, you will forever be associated with cutlery now. Chapeau.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Well I for one want to see the test run!

Pics or it didn’t happen.

boblo
    Free Member

Boo hiss 🙂 All you need to do is ‘estimate’ the shear force on that scab (assuming it’s not asymetriacally loaded – tee hee). That’s what he needs to deal with. The rest is academic as it won’t get that far 🙂

mightymarmite
    Free Member

“darwin will be proven right” Now that brightened up my morning 🙂

Turn it up to 11 and go for broke … literally.

toys19
    Free Member

“darwin will be proven right” Now that brightened up my morning

Well you know I am a creationist and just need Al to carry out this experiment to prove that there is/isn’t a god.

If Al lives, there is.
    If he dies there isnt.

Houns

lol @ Cutlery-al

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok – this is what I am seeing. Vastly oversimplified of course.
    As the brake is applied it will attempt to move in the direction of the green arrow. The lower mount is triangulated and rigid (ish) so the caliper will rotate around the lower mounting bolt marked with the red cross. as it rotates it will push the top mount is (aprroximatly) the direction of the top arrow. there is nothing much to resist this load.

Image1 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

mightymarmite
    Free Member

According to toys … God will hold it (assuming Al lives)

Kuco

Is that a spiders nest at the end of the spoon?

Dancake
    Free Member

Now you have your angles correct (i found this the hard bit when I built mine) you can make a template to make a proper 4 hole mount . 2 for the caliper and 2 for the mudguard mounts on the frame

I did this and connected a tie- rod (threaded bar with some rod-ends ) to the V Brake mount. worked really well.

As TJ has pointed out, your devcon is just going to peel off in the end, surely?

Pigface
    Free Member

Cynical spoon

portlyone

Won’t the back of the brake stop the red arrow movement going too far and add extra stopping force to the disc. Brilliant design I think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm, where to start ❓

TandemJeremy – Member
    Al I stand by what I say.

No triangluation at all on the upper mount. Relying on the friction of bolts and glue to hold a brake calliper on is stupid.

Indeed and a point I have conceded. Oh it’s “caliper” BTW. I’m relying on shear strength of the bolts not their friction.

we can all see the flaws in it apart from Al who simply attacks the folk who point this out.

You did so first 🙄 – pot, kettle etc, why don’t you leave this thread alone and stop your attempts to put me down when I am simply trying something out an asking for advice? I attack you only when you spout crap when purporting ot give advice – entirely different. You come out with nonsense ALL THE TIME. Solicitors don’t appear in Employment Tribunals, do they? 🙄

wwaswas – Member
    advice which he has ignored completely

Am I the only one not surprised?
    The only person with any demonstrable expertese/experience was toys19 who offered help, then, I presume, forgot. I knew it might not work, but I didn’t know it wouldn’t, and neither did/do any of the pathetic haterz, which brings me on to…

toys19 – Member
    Well I’ve had a good think about this and had a chat with some of the other engineers here and we don’t think its as bad as it looks. The funny thing is everyone in the room (2 x phds, me an MSC and a recent grad) are trying to find how it works, not piss all over it.

Thanks.

If the top mount is replaced by a triangular mount it can be jubilee clipped to the stay and will ‘only’ then have to resist the frictional forces of being pushed up the stay.

I’ve already kind of done it that way. My concern is the forces into the seatstay may crack it. Jubilee and P-clips are you having a giraffe?

Anyway, the coup de grace. It broke very quickly, coming to a brief stop. As Bloblo guess the cf parted from the ti so it was the gluing that was the weak point. I’m gonna try it again with proper glue, just to see, it would be great to be right on this, but I’ll live if I’m not. You can hear me chuckle at the end.

At least I tried, discussed it and even posted a video of the outcome -more than anyone slagging me off has done, but do keep going, all of you.

Dancake
    Free Member

I would have loved a Middle Finger up to the camera then

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I’d best get myself along to a church … 🙂

Robz
    Free Member

Drop bars…. Ah!

Didn’t realise it wasn’t going on a mountain bike. Sorry.

We must be doing a very different type of riding if you think a BB7 is even remotely in the same league as a decent hydro brake.

toys19
    Free Member

mightymarmite – Member
    I’d best get myself along to a church …

Come and join me..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – you are relying on the friction of the bolts to stop rotation. waht else is preventing them from rotating as in my diagramme?

Edit – do you understand how bolts work? The tension on the bolts creates friction between the two parts bolted together and thats what resists movement.

calliper. two ls in calliper single l is a variant according to the OED

I was correct about the solicitors ‘but of course I did not say what you claim – I said you cannot claim costs for a solicitor at a tribunal which is correct.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

he he, quality thread Al

Keep it real :love:

cynic-al
    Free Member

1. shear strength.

2. Wowsers, never seen that – bet it was a typo though 😉

3. Here’s the quote from the thread:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/employment-tribunal-a-very-seriously-nervous-question

TandemJeremy – Member
    You would be.

You cannot claim expenses in a tribunal so lawyers won’t do them except CAB / law centre types.

Oh dear…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

really al.

Do you not understand the basics of how a bolt works? clearly not. Yo put tension on a bolt. This clamps the two pieces together and creates friction between the two pieces. Its the friction that resist movement not the strength of the bolt. If it was merely the bolt it would always fret as there is a clearance in the hole

Your setup you have rotational loadings on the bolts

That statement about lawyers is correct in the context of the thread.

You know better that the OED do you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘FAO doubters’ is closed to new replies.