Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • FAO: Anyone who lives North of Glasgow
  • pinetree
    Free Member

Hey dudes, I tried putting this up on descent world but there doesn’t seem to be much activity there any more.

Me and a mate are planning a big ride in the 1st week in september, riding from Glasgow up to Inverness via the west highland way as far as Kinlochleven, then across back country via Aviemore- leaving Glasgow on Saturday 3rd and riding for 5 days or so.

Has anyone got any suggestions of particularly good trails to ride on the way up, or any valleys etc. which you know to be quite promising?
    It’d be great to meet up with other riders along the way to see some of their home trails, so if you’re in the area and are free to go for a blast, let us know!
    We’re planning on staying in youth hostels and bunkhouses along the way, but if you’ve got a floor or a couple of couches we could hijack for a night, we’d greatly appreciate the favour! Generosity will be rewarded with beer and cake!

Cheers,
    Scott.

stevie750

There is a bit of scary downhill into kinlochleven. When you go up the devils staircase it is somewhere on the other side of the dam.

jojoA1
    Free Member

When you get up to Loch Ossian, which is where I assume you’ll be heading via “backcountry from kinlochleven” head up the back of Ben alder and down the bealach dubh to culra nithya. That’s the usual climb on the alder loop, but I reckon ôte would be awesome as a descent and miss a lot of the tedious bits of the usual loop.

j_me
    Free Member

^^^ ciaran path Edit……what stevie meant

nick1962
    Free Member

A fair bit of enjoyable riding can be found at the start of the WHW in and around Mugdock Park if you know where to look.I’m sure wallace1492,craig1975 ,boardinbob or people from Glasgow MTB club on here would be happy to oblige.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Auto correct error in my post. It should read “culra bothy”.

pinetree
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses lads. Both myself and my mate doing the trip are from glasgow originally, so we’re no stranger to the mugdock trails.

I’ll have a look into the trails you’ve suggested!

Cheers,
    Scott.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Did the Tour of Ben Nevis route 2 weeks ago. Starting in Kinlochleven, up past Mamore Lodge to Loch Elidh Mor and round in a big loop to Fort Bill and back via WHW. Some great trails and real wild country riding up there.

Guess you going up via WHW – avoid the top of Loch Lomond, seriously. Take ferry to Tarbet and road it to Bein Glas. Another alternative is head north from Drymen and take wild route to Inversnaid (but cross by ferry) It avoids the WHW.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘FAO: Anyone who lives North of Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.