Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fantasy road features……..
  • neilwheel
    Free Member

Post your wishes…………

Mine:

Interactive Speed Humps.

Approach at or under the speed limit and the road stays flat. The faster your vehicle travels the higher the bump, up to a suspension destroying, sump removing block at double the speed limit. Emergency vehicles carry transponders to allow safe passage.

brakes
    Free Member

ones without potholes potcraters would be nice

njee20
    Free Member

Mine:

Interactive Speed Humps.

Errr…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Are they still testing? Maybe they need to go tubeless.

njee20
    Free Member

A quick Google suggests they’re being installed, but seem mainly to be on private premises, where they seem a bit pointless, so not quite ubiquitous yet. Look neat though.

oldnpastit

Dutch-style cycle paths?

jambourgie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wY-hvMC44[/video]

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Cycle paths away from traffic, not a token red stripe in the gutter to hit a quota.

MrOvershoot

Jef Wachowchow – Member

Cycle paths away from traffic, not a token red stripe in the gutter to hit a quota.

This + 1000, there is a new cycle path installed on part of my ride to work that’s on a long straight drag up hill, being 6 meters away from the road behind trees has made it so much nicer to ride rather than having a car tagging your back wheel trying to pass.
    You can also have a conversation with your fellow commuters, I’ve been road riding since the 70’s and don’t have confidence issues on riding with cars. But give me a proper cycle path any day its just nicer IMO

CountZero

Speed humps were, allegedly, designed in such a way that hitting them at the correct speed meant being able to roll smoothly over them, any faster meant a violent jolt.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

roundabouts that go round on their own
    pitfall traps set off by dawdling drivers
    traffic lights that go green as I approach

jekkyl

are we being serious or fun…
    Free lager dispensers.
    Free Fuel dispensers.
    Free bikes for use wherever you want to go.
    No trucks/buses/tractors/old people or anything that goes slower than me.

to start…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Personal gripe with the gentle sloping zebra crossing outside our house, in a 20mph speed limit.

Truck drivers like to hit it at 30ish, usual suspects, skip, tipper and delivery drivers.

Local lads like to hit it at 40+ and get away with just bottoming out their suspension.

It also stops the drainage during heavy rain, the whole road drains towards us and used to run away round the corner. Now we get a small lake and increased damp.

I’m serious, you can have fun if you like.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Fantasy:

All of the former railways (branch lines, halts etc) that Beeching axed are now restored as cycle paths in an uninterrupted network across Britain featuring:

-No motorised vehicles allowed except for Pedelecs
    -Pastie vendors at cycle-themed cafes and restored ‘cycleway stations’.
    -Permissive wild camping sites peppered throughout the network.
    -Sections approaching cities are paved with solar lighting featuring cool shit (Proteq Starpath for example)
    -Pedelec battery chargers available at water/beer stops
    -Oh, and Moonsticks, chocolate dipped.

MoreCashThanDash

Malvern Rider for Prime Minister!

Trying to get one of Beechings lines made into a sustrans route near us, being done a section at a time. I found the planning document for the last section and it appears that most of the old trackbed is now a SSSI so they had to use adjoining land.

Cougar

Speed humps were, allegedly, designed in such a way that hitting them at the correct speed meant being able to roll smoothly over them, any faster meant a violent jolt.

I’d be much more in favour of them if practice was in line with theory.

onehundredthidiot

In Kendal last week and saw some nasty speed humps. BUT perfect size that the car straddled them and perfectly spaced so the fitted between them. In other words useless.

maccruiskeen

I’d replace the cameras in GATSOs with small heat seeking rocket launchers. Not all of them, just some. The little warning signs that tell you theres a speed camera ahead would them be replaced with a photo of Dirty Harry.

I’d drop the national speed limit on any single carriageway that doesn’t have adequate provision for cyclists and pedestrians to 40mph

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fantasy road features……..’ is closed to new replies.