Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fantasy Mongol Rally – What 1000cc car for?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

So you’ve got a 1000cc to play with. What would you go for?

http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally#whats-the-mongol-rally

Pigface
    Free Member

Mate did it in a original Micra he bought for £250, the suspension on the front collapsed and the last 2 days were on the back of a truck rolling through Mongolia to Ulaanbaatar

He had the most amazing 5 week adventure, his favourite country was Iran, he said it was stunning and the people were super friendly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fora type 3 fun adventure, any of the old BL cars with an A-series, a MK1 sprite/midget?

For Type 2 fun a Micra, doubt there’s much in the UK to match their reliability?

fasthaggis

maccruiskeen

If you like that sort of thing, you’ll like this sort of thing

I taped this off the telly back in the 80s and watched it so much back then that when I found it again recently I still knew every word.

Its a long watch on a work day but very entertaining – you’ll get the flavour if you skip to 16.13 – 22.35

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xkpFVB8zjk[/video]

jimoiseau
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

For Type 2 fun a Micra, doubt there’s much in the UK to match their reliability?

Reliability aside theres not much that would touch the Micra for comfort within that engine size constraint – cars of that era tended to be incredibly pokey inside but nissan were happy to sacrifice backseat-space to make the space for the driver roomy. The other possible choice would be a Polo but the Micra was lighter, nimbler and comfier.

peterfile
    Free Member

A few of us are seriously considering this for 2015 or 2016.

My kind of holiday.

Duffer
    Free Member

Looks good fun!

I suppose this would be against the spirit of the event?

gearfreak
    Free Member

Bedford Rascal Camper. Nearly did this a few years ago but the first Van I bought got nicked and pushed into a river, and then I couldn’t get the time off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a friend of a friend did this in a bright pink 1991 trabant. the 1l polo engine.

They then drove it back to the uk….. and sold it for a quid to my mate.

It still runs well and never fails to turn a head. Its a 2 door limosine on the v5 !

Id like a dihatsu charade – mk3. 1.0 turbo – would certainly be exciting wondering if it would get there – think they all went the way of the 106 ralle – through hedges quickly and backwards , hard to find a good one.

johndoh
    Free Member

Probably can’t get one for £1k though (or indeed is there one still alive)?

mark90
    Free Member

When I was a lad I thought the Rancho was so cool, I guess it was compared to Dad’s Marina.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Max displacement was upped to 1200cc a few years back as 1000cc is getting thin on the ground.

I’d take a Subaru Justy 😀

winston
    Free Member

Rancho wasn’t 1000cc!

and you won’t find an old 4×4 panda for reasonable money anymore

The obvious choice would be a 2cv but I’ve always had a hankering for one of these:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The other possible choice would be a Polo but the Micra was lighter, nimbler and comfier.

Err no.
    My parents had a 1988 Micra when I passed my test and after that I owned 3 Polos of various vintages, including an ’88 model. The Polo is far and away a superior car. Those Micras are shonky.
    I also had a 1990 Fiat Panda. That was superb.
    To this day the Micra is the most uncomfortable car I’ve ever driven, and the worst handling.

johndoh
    Free Member

Rancho wasn’t 1000cc!

ME FAIL

I thought it was £1000 not 1000cc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the only rancho ive ever seen was in equatorial guinea – it was being used as a bin lorry and the chassis had snapped….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fantasy Mongol Rally – What 1000cc car for?’ is closed to new replies.