• This topic has 86 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Fantastic films that slipped below the radar of publicity
  • tyger
    Free Member

After The Sunset

and

The Three Fugitives

These are two of my favourites 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

Gattaca – No one seems to have watched it, but it’s awesome!

nbt

I wasn’t overly impressed by Gattaca, wasn’t awful but wasn’t *that* good.

Have got “after the sunset” waiting in the wings. Will make an effort to watch it sooner rather than later

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

Down By Law – one of my all time favourites but I’ve never met anyone who’s heard of it let alone seen it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcSxhjH0pwA[/video]

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Gattaca- mmmm Uma Thurman

BoardinBob

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have not yet watched it get, but I’m expecting good things from The Thirteenth Floor.

Before anyone says “copying The Matrix”, it preceded it and the screenplay was written from the book Simulacron-3 (1964)

_tom_
    Free Member

Moon

phatstanley
    Free Member

“I scream, you scream, we ALL scream for ice cream.”

+ 1 for Down By Law 😀

iDave
    Free Member

*admires phatstanley from afar… in a strictly manly way*

Nick

iDave, Down by law is excellent, as are most Jim Jarmusch films, have you seen Night on Earth?

Jamie
    Free Member

Moon

I think given who Mr Jones’ Dad is, Moon would, and got, a decent amount of publicity.

deluded
    Free Member

Agree with Gattaca – superb film.

I thought ‘Narc’ was excellent with Jason Patric and Ray Liota. I think the director was responsible for The Shield.

D0NK

gattaca weren’t bad, not spectacular tho.

Quite liked Nightwatch (no not the one you think) not got round to seeing daywatch yet

_tom_
    Free Member

I think given who Mr Jones’ Dad is, Moon would, and got, a decent amount of publicity.

I only heard about it thanks to a forum, and it wasn’t on in that many cinemas as I recall. Don’t remember seeing any trailers or it being mentioned on the telly at all.. So I dunno.

Cougar

I think that’s pretty harsh given how much he’s downplayed it. He didn’t have to go by ‘Jones’ for a start.

Moon got a moderate amount of publicity, but I’d like to think that this was largely because it was a damn good film.

Cougar

Veering back on topic,

Plunkett and MacLeane, anyone?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Funny Games. Brilliant film but nobody I know has seen it.
    The original German version is also very good

Jamie
    Free Member

I think that’s pretty harsh given how much he’s downplayed it. He didn’t have to go by ‘Jones’ for a start.

Well seeing as I never said anything about him using his dad to forward his career, I don’t really know how to respond to that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Breaking The Waves.

lalazar
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member
    Funny Games. Brilliant film but nobody I know has seen it.
    The original German version is also very good

I’ve seen it and it’s a bit on the dark side Derek.

Edukator
    Free Member

The Edukators.

seahouse
    Free Member

Donnie Darko is one of my favorites, the seen when the camera moves in through the school and introduces you to all the character’s of the movie without a word spoken to the backdrop of Head over heals by Tears for Fears is simply brilliant.

racefaceec90

the cube.loved it when i saw it (but neither heard nor seen it before or since) [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hUyIrubWE[/video] 😀

racefaceec90

and this [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUVGxfyEPV8[/video] brad douriff is excellent in this.fantastic film 😀

Alcopop
    Free Member

Rec and Rec2
    nice bit of Spanish zombie

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Boiler Room and The Boondock Saints

Cougar

Well seeing as I never said anything about him using his dad to forward his career, I don’t really know how to respond to that.

Well, you said “given who Mr Jones’ Dad is, Moon would, and got, a decent amount of publicity.” Am I missing something here, is promoting your film different from forwarding your career? Assuming your career is “film maker” anyway, I doubt that promoting your film would do much for your career if you were a plumber.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Station Agent

Cougar

the cube.loved it when i saw it (but neither heard nor seen it before or since)

The Cube is ace, but do yourself a favour and avoid the numerous sequels and prequel, they’re dreadful.

If you’re interested, the recent Splice was written by the same guy who wrote The Cube. Entertaining little Species-a-like.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Hot Rod. Laughed myself stupid (except at the bit with Scrooge and the goose).

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 for The Boondock Saints. 9/10 easy.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

three burials of melquiades estrada

Deveron53
    Free Member

So I Married an Axe Murderer
    Paycheck
    Mallrats
    Singles

colournoise

Dark City (pre-Matrix altered reality story co-written by the co-writer of Inception).

Dogma.

The Big Blue (or Subway, or Nikita, or Leon – basically any of Luc Besson’s earlier films).

Jarhead.

The City of Lost Children.

slainte 😀 rob

RAGGATIP
    Free Member
    fourbanger
    Free Member

Some of these suggestions are kind of cult films. Does that count as below the radar?

trailmonkey

Volver

emsz
    Free Member

Are we allowed old films?

was made to watch Harold and Maude a while back, should be compulsory.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Restless Natives. Epic film, epic soundtrack.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Fantastic films that slipped below the radar of publicity’ is closed to new replies.