• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fans for turbo trainers???
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so I have a £20 office fan from Argos and to be honest it doesn’t quite cut it.

The next step seems to something like one of these:
    18″ High Velocity Industrial Fan £39.99

But I don’t know if this would be much better or whether I need to be looking at those further up the scale at ~£200.

What’s everyone else use?

Jason
    Free Member

I use a 16″ pedestal fan that I bought from B&Q a few years ago. I generally only use it on it’s lowest setting (out of 3), and that is fine even on very tough sessions. It has a remote control, which is handy as it saves hopping off the bike to turn it on once I have warmed up.

I can’t remember how much it cost, but it was reduced after a wet summer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Machine Mart, but it looked exactly like the one to which you linked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for the industrial 18″ fans, I got mine from screwfix,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fe45-h1-18mm-high-velocity-floor-fan-220-240v/54056

Positives:
    Shifts a huge volume of air, even on the lowest setting it’s cooling enough to need a jersey on a hot day!
    Blows over your whole body, rather than pointing at your face

Negatives
    Noisy, you’ll need sperate PC speekers as a minimum, preferably a hi-fi to overpower it with tunes/sufferfest
    Blows picture frames off the wall

I’m tempted to take the back off and see if the controller can be turned down further, it’s shear size shifts the air better than a pedastal fan, so idealy I’d rather have something that big spinning at half the speed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m tempted to take the back off and see if the controller can be turned down further, it’s shear size shifts the air better than a pedastal fan, so idealy I’d rather have something that big spinning at half the speed.

I have one of those screwfix fans, run it about an inch from my face at its highest setting 8) Was good for turbo sessions when it was pushing thirty degrees a while back.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I won;t need one of the £200+ 36″ fans?

I want something substantially better than the Argos value pedestal fan I got for £20.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The 18 incher is great, shifts a lot of air. Don’t really feel the need for much more than that.

DT78
    Free Member

Think I’ll upgrade to one of those 18s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fans for turbo trainers???’ is closed to new replies.