Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)
  • Fancy riding your bike every day of the year?
  • crosshair
    Free Member

But look at the rest of the site too- there’s not even a light hearted profile page with a nice picture of him smiling at the camera or something to help you warm to him. Not even a jokey “I must be mad!”
    For the amount of support he’s going to need from relative strangers, the whole attempt needs a personality transplant IMO.

DavidB
    Free Member

Somehow I suspect marketing ability and ability to ride day in day out do not go hand in hand. It seems a bit sad to me that the thread’s focus has been on the hosts page. Maybe one of the ninja PR people on here could offer to help him?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’m sure most of the support will come from people who already know him in the audax community

ton

rode a few miles with steve abraham on a audax in lincolnshire.
    this bloke is as hard as nails, think of terrahawk but a bit harder… 😀
    if anyone can do this record this bloke can.
    hold all kinds of audax records for all sort of distance, most of them on a fixie too.

good luck to him, and stop being such a miserable set of bastards.

crosshair
    Free Member

I really hope they do! It would be sad for such a true test of grit to be undermined. Silly thing is, I bet he’s a top bloke down the pub but the website text is awful!!

DavidB
    Free Member

Exactly ton which is why I’m so pleased Steve stood up to it. I’ve been in touch with many over the years who think they have the mettle to do this, one bloke managed a week. Luckily we convinced him to keep it under his hat. Steve is the first proper contender we’ve had.

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder where they’re taking their cue from…

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’m not in PR but use PR people from time to time. I see it as a necessary evil in our business. I genuinely think his whole project would benefit from it from the general public awareness of his immense challenge to just being nicer about asking for stuff.

Hopefully his social media person will sort this.

njee20
    Free Member

I genuinely think his whole project would benefit from it from the general public awareness of his immense challenge to just being nicer about asking for stuff.

This sums it up. I’m disinclined to help him based on that text too. Which is a shame.

jameso

Wishing him luck. Mentally harder than physically, I expect. I do hope he actually enjoys it.

epicyclo

ton – Member
    …good luck to him, and stop being such a miserable set of bastards.

+1

Many many years ago I strung two 200 miles days together and the next day I was dead in the saddle after only 100 miles. (In lust, going to visit a girlfriend 🙂 )

The thought of doing that mileage day in day out is just beyond belief to me. Anyone who can do that isn’t going to be like you or me, so cut him some slack on the personality side.

I’m going to contribute. Done

jameso

Could be the nicest bloke you’ll meet. What’s on a site that represents someone and what someone is actually like isn’t always the same, works both ways. Agreed that PR may need some work but don’t judge the guy on that.
    There’s a pic of him doing PBP on a hardtail with slicks on. ‘Respect’ : )

crosshair
    Free Member

Anyone who can do that isn’t going to be like you or me, so cut him some slack on the personality side.

But David makes it sound like this is part of some team effort so I don’t think its Steves fault.

Exactly ton which is why I’m so pleased Steve stood up to it. I’ve been in touch with many over the years who think they have the mettle to do this, one bloke managed a week. Luckily we convinced him to keep it under his hat. Steve is the first proper contender we’ve had.

Who are the ‘we’? Where’s their mention on the website? There’s no intro, no why, no who, very little specific history behind the attempt. Even the donations page says (paraphrasing a bit here) “We need money to do this so give it to us and if there’s some left perhaps we’ll donate it to kids or cancer or something”

The more I consider how epic the challenge is, especially given how well cycling generally is doing, the sadder it seems that it’s almost impossible to get behind it.

DavidB
    Free Member

But David makes it sound like this is part of some team effort so I don’t think its Steves fault.

No, he’s done most of it off his own back. I helped him with the UCMA and rules side of things, today was the first time I had seen his site. I’m a bit worried I posted it prematurely as it does say work in progress”

I think there’s been a bit of a focus on the negatives on here and ask again, could anyone with a few hours help Steve rephrase it a bit? I’m not sure his hosting page is demanding, I think it is just harshly pragmatic and maybe a bit too much so.

Luckily we convinced him to keep it under his hat

This was a few years back. The guy approached me and I spoke with some “others” in the cycling sphere who were connected with the record. We (not Steve he was nothing to do with it) looked at his track record, nada, experience, nada, preparation, nada and suggested he might want to start off low key before advertising his attempt.

takisawa2

Just wondering as the record for an unsupourted round the world ride (18000miles) is 125 days

I thought Mike Hall had that record (92 days)…

Either way, that’s an incredible target. 😐
    Good luck to him.

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol! I think I would fall foul of the “Social media manager”

It’s not unlikely that there will be trolls and troublemakers. These would need to be blocked and their comments removed. The purpose of using the social media is for raising publicity and support for me, not arguing. Amicable disagreements are fine, but not silly arguments etc. Anyone looking to argue can be directed elsewhere and if they persist, be removed. Your job will be to keep things nice and friendly.

I’ve stuck a tenner in to show Steve there is no Ill feeling towards him and I wish the attempt all the best.
    Seriously, this type of thing is made for Twitter/Facebook- you need that Social Media manager on board pronto 🙂

mrhoppy

ianfitz – Member
    I think being really very clear about host requirements is a good idea. I’ve been involved in supporting some ultra distance fell running records and it is a very specific task. Sorting out the ground rules in advance is the only way to go. Usually because people are pushing themselves so hard that there isn’t the mental energy to make arrangements off the cuff
    He’s not asking for mates to put him up for a night during a leisurely LEJOG attempt, he’s taking a year out of his life to put himself through a physical test

If it was an email to mates it might be OK as they might get it but as an apparent request for help he comes across badly. It’s a good way to ensure he ends up sleeping in bus shelters. He might be the hardest bustard in the world but that counts for nowt when you’re relying on people’s goodwill.

crosshair
    Free Member

Sorry, more thinking out loud but how is he planning on doing the route? If he’s planning on travelling far and wide through the UK, could he hook up with say every cycle club in the country? People could arrange to ride various legs with him or sponsor him to ride their favourite Strava segment or so on?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why? One-upmanship is an odd concept..

rene59
    Free Member

Yes, it does seem a waste of a year.

Cheezpleez

Good luck to him! That is an amazing commitment.

Personally, I thought his info for hosts was fine. I’d rather know what I’m letting myself in for than be soft-soaped and I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who get what he’s doing and will be only too pleased to sign up to what he’s asking.

Never realised STWers were such sensitive types 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good luck to him, perhaps as DavibB seems to be in touch he could possibly pass on some of the more “constructive” comments.
    Perhaps some support/endorsement by the likes of Mark Beaumont or Guy Martin on the record side of things etc would help. That and somebody to re write his website.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im gonna guess he will need help mentally too… 13hrs / day riding week after week will be a massive mental challenge. Imagine the arguments you’d have with yourself.

mtbel
    Free Member

Think there are only about 5 days I haven’t ridden my bike this year.

If this Steve bloke isn’t going for the record on a 30lb bike while wearing silk knickers it won’t count in my eyes.

Tommy Godwin is a Legend

DavidB
    Free Member

Good luck to him, perhaps as DavibB seems to be in touch he could possibly pass on some of the more “constructive” comments.

I am don’t you worry. Strangely, elsewhere his attempt has been received with huge positivity.

scotroutes

I read the hosts requirements page and I can’t see where the issue lies. He’s obviously thought it through thoroughly and he’s not sugar coating it. If I had some prospect of helping I’d do so but I suspect a visit to the Highlands isn’t in his schedule.

Yes, there are some miserable bastards on here.

weeksy

scotroutes – Member

I read the hosts requirements page and I can’t see where the ussue lies. He’s obviously thought it through thoroughly and he’s notbsugar coating it. If I had some prospect of helping I’d do so but I suspect a visit to the Highlands isn’t in his schedule.

Yes, there are some miserable bastards on here.

Maybe that says more about your personality than ours 😉

Simple answer is… he write like he’s doing you the favour and isn’t appreciating any of the ‘help’ you’re giving him. Whilst it’s nice to have it all laid out for you, don’t forget, you’d be letting a random stranger kip in your house, your home, be fed, watered, clothed etc for FREE. People pay £100 a night for that service usually, but with less bells and whistles….

The least he could do is not make it sound like you’re nothing more than a minor inconvenience to him.

DavidB
    Free Member

clothed etc for FREE.

Have you REALLY read it in detail? Try again.

weeksy

DavidB – Member

clothed etc for FREE.

Have you REALLY read it in detail? Try again.

clothed was meaning the drying/cleaning/sorting of his kit, not buying him a pair of underpants.

I’d want to have everything ready for me the next morning before I set off. Any washed clothes ready to wear, or packed in my saddlebag

DrP

I’m printing this out and giving it to my wife, labelled as “DrPs requirements after a Tuesday night ride..”
    “Ideally you’d be watching the live tracker on line and know when to expect me so that there is food ready for me when I arrive. When I arrive, you’d take me to your shower or bathroom where I would wash myself and put on clean clothes. If I have clothes that need washing and will need them the next day, they will need to be washed then given back to me the next morning.
    When I have washed myself, I’d eat. After I have finished eating and drinking, I’d go to bed. A large mug of tea will most likely be much appreciated too.
    I am guessing on needing around 8-10,000 calories a day, so would need enough food for four adults per day as a rough guide. This, of course, is subject to change and you’d be informed via your confirmation email.
    You would take the batteries from all the electrical equipment on my bike to be recharged and replace them with my fresh batteries. Most of my batteries will be AA or AAA, though some of my front lights may use their own battery, I’d have a charger for that with me.
    You’d also take my GPS and camera to upload my GPS data onto Strava and pass on the photos to the person who will be taking care of the website, twitter, facebook and all. Uploading data to Strava is very important because I will have 24 hours from finishing a days ride to upload it so that the UMCA can check it. (according to current draft rules)
    You’d refill my bottles with water and add 2 hydration tablets (which I’ll be carrying) to each bottle, make sure that reflective material and light lenses on my bike are clean (doesn’t need to be great so a quick wipe with a damp cloth/wet wipes will do) check my bike over briefly and fix any problems I may have told you about on my arrival.
    I’d want to have everything ready for me the next morning before I set off. Any washed clothes ready to wear, or packed in my saddlebag. Pocket food in my pockets or given to me before I leave. Electrical equipment fitted on the bike with their fresh batteries plus any recharged batteries put back in my saddlebag or handed to me as I leave.
    Full bottles on the bike. Breakfast on the table with a large mug of tea or coffee I’d be aiming to get from bed to road in under an hour in winter, under half an hour in summer. Weetabix or Granola are my favourite cereals (I don’t like many others, including porridge) don’t prepare it for me incase I don’t want it and it would be wasted. However, it would be unlikely for me to turn down a fry up and breakfast could be anything I enjoy eating, even leftovers from my supper, so making extra large portions could save you some effort and you could always eat anything I don’t eat yourself.
    This could very well mean that you’ll be getting little sleep that night, but at least you could go back to bed once I have gone.
    I’d also like food for my pocket when I set off . Sausages, cheese, bananas or anything that you use yourself will do. I will probably be reporting hints about what I like to eat at the time on facebook and twitter. I expect that what food I like may change during the year.
    A very important part of your job could be to chivvy me out of bed at 4am and “robustly encourage” me to get out on the road, very possibly in heavy rain, cold and any other kind of bad weather. This could make a very big (all the?) difference to a day’s mileage. I may not be thankful for that at the time!
    What we’re aiming for is something like a Formula 1 pit stop.
    Hosts would also need to realise that I may decide not to visit them because of bad luck, bad weather or logistical reasons. I may also have more than one potential host for the same day to enable me to take the best advantage of, or avoid weather conditions.”

Good luck to the chap, and hope he finds hosts to ‘help out’

DrP

DavidB
    Free Member

If you read the whole thing he is offering to reimburse some of the expenses. I think “random stranger: is a bit alarmist, he is very well known in the community, very identifiable, and would clearly be a push over in any issue as you’d run off and he’d be hobbling behind you with 200 miles in his legs 😉

See, another side of the coin is that whole exercise could show what an amazing community cycling has, to support one of their own taking on an incredible feat.

scotroutes

This is STW. Not requiring the use of your niche shaving implement or coffee ground between the thighs of a south american virgin already marks him out as a bit of a wierdo. If you can’t at least offer a £5 off CRC voucher for the hosts then you’re definitely on a loser.

weeksy

If you read the whole thing he is offering to reimburse some of the expenses. I think “random stranger: is a bit alarmist, he is very well known in the community, very identifiable, and would clearly be a push over in any issue as you’d run off and he’d be hobbling behind you with 200 miles in his legs

See, another side of the coin is that whole exercise could show what an amazing community cycling has, to support one of their own taking on an incredible feat.

If he’d phrased it better, he wouldn’t have had to offer anything back.

May well be known in a very specific community, but as you’ve seen, very few on here (a popular cycling forum) were aware of him before this thread started.

The whole exercise could EASILY have shown that yes… if he’d written his website better.

DavidB
    Free Member

Which is the modern tragedy because I can guarantee that Tommy Godwin had a similar outlook/approach and inability to write websites

epicyclo

DavidB – Member
    …Strangely, elsewhere his attempt has been received with huge positivity.

Would that be on those cycling forums for people who actually ride their bikes? 🙂

weeksy

DavidB – Member

Which is the modern tragedy because I can guarantee that Tommy Godwin had a similar outlook/approach and inability to write websites

I’d imagine most people who are of the mindset to even attempt this record are fairly similar in all honesty. It’s not a stroll round the local park and requires a certain personality I expect.

DavidB
    Free Member

It certainly does. I have uncovered details of an American rider from the 1870’s who used to do 200 mile rides along railway lines on an ordinary (penny farthing). He managed it as the wheel rolled well over sleepers. Stick that in your 29″ pipe and smoke it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If he’d phrased it better, he wouldn’t have had to offer anything back

This +1.

If his tone wasn’t quite so hostile I’m sure loads of people would happily laon him their spare room for the night and put on an extra portion of spag-bol. The actual cost of thats only a couple of quid at most and the whole recipts/paypal thing sounds like a PITA, just carry a tenner for each night to cover an extra portion of food and a packet of AA’s (and that’d be iff people even wanted paying).

If it were me writing that I’d have kept it short and to the point. ‘Can I stay at yours? I’ll be tired, grumpy, anti-social and need feeding a lot, but I’d really appreciate it inside!’. Details like your favourite food, fussyness of breakfast cereals, need for uploading/charging stuff, would you mind tweeking my gears/cleaning the chain, etc, could be kept to a seperate e-mail.

scotroutes

And that’s because you don’t have the mindset required for this. It’s no use getting lots of willing volunteers to after have them drop out one-by-one as they realise what they’re actually being asked to do. Given the general mechanical ability shown on here, how many would you trust to weak your gears?

richpips
    Free Member

Forgetting his tone for a minute, he seems to have thought through his needs quite well.

I say good luck to him.

Oh, and BTW who here had heard of Tommy Godwin before DavidB brought him to our attention? Not many.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Fancy riding your bike every day of the year?’ is closed to new replies.