Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fancy pants holiday for £1000?
  • bearnecessities

I am not a seasoned holiday person (last holiday was Cyprus 10 years ago).

I’m 40 in a month though and quite fancy doing something a bit nice, and a memorable holiday for 1 seems as good an idea as any.

I thought Caribbean might be achievable with such a budget, but it’s looking like many many thousands more than that, as is everywhere similar I seem to be ham-fistedly googling – so does anyone have suggestions where I could go (either location or website) for a sunny, beachy, drinky-malibu-out-of-a-cocunt-y holiday, rather than Spain, Canaries etc, travelling in a month-ish?

Or should I abandon the idea with such a budget and just put it towards more plasterboard.

Thanks for any advice.

doordonot
    Free Member

Is one interested in a guided mtb holiday with nice bike hire in catered chalet in the Alpes?

P-Jay
    Free Member

You’re in a tricky spot – you want Sunny / Beachy in Jan which isn’t easy within a few hours flight from the UK. The Caribbean is the London Posho destination of choice for winter hence the prices, let alone the long-haul flight which will mean a decent chunk of airport tax before you start.

The defecto working mans winter sun destination is the Canaries, but you don’t want Spain.

Best bet might be trying to find a cheap flight to somewhere cheap in Asia.

nickjb
    Free Member

SE Asia would fit. Probably half the budget on flights but it can be cheap once out there. Thailand for a bit of beach and a bit of jungle with friendly locals and good food.

sockpuppet

I have nothing to add except this is the best description of a holiday design spec I have ever seen!

a sunny, beachy, drinky-malibu-out-of-a-cocunt-y holiday,

It makes me want to go on your holiday too!

wiggles
    Free Member

As above canaries are nice and warm this time of year but part of spain…

Jamie
    Free Member

a sunny, beachy, drinky-malibu-out-of-a-cocunt-y holiday,

You filthy beast.

lapierrelady

South Africa?

myti
    Free Member

Cape Verde?

sadexpunk

another vote here for thailand/vietnam/malaysia area.

BillMC
    SaxonRider

What about South Africa or Kenya?

wilburt
    Free Member

Thailand

poly
    Free Member

It doesn’t give you the coconut and bikini feel you are looking for but have you considered a ski holiday? Outside of school hols £1k should get you a reasonable deal for a flexible single person…

Nobody who ever went on a ski hol would not say it was memorable, and a nice chalet ticks the luxury boxes…

tinribz
    Free Member

Phuket for the beach or Barcelona for the food would be on my short list. Or what about Borneo?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Caribbean can be cheap, check out Thomas cook, I’ve flown to St Lucia, Antigua and Barbados the last few years for £320_420 return , internal flights with liat or Caribbean air can be had cheap.

I saw an all inclusive 7 days to Tobago last week for £600 from Manchester in Jan feb
    Definately deals to be found

sbob
    Free Member

One of the more touristy bits of South West India could be good.
    I did a whole month on £1,000. All in.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Thailand is a good shout at this time of the year. I’m currently sitting on the balcony of our apartment in Phuket at nearly ten in the evening wearing just my swimming shorts. It’s about 28 degrees atm. 🙂

We’ve been here a few weeks island hopping around Thailand and there is all budgets and types catered for from the 24 hr party island of Koh Phi Phi to having a kilometere white sandy beach to yourself on Koh Jum. Plus if you are alone you are bound to meet a nice Thai girl! 😉

Dickyboy

If you decide on Thailand you could do worse than Thai Smile Bungalows, Ban Koh Lanta, Krabi

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just to add. If you are up for a bit of adventure playing it by ear is very easy here in Thailand. Apart from the flights here via Bangkok and the first two destinations we have booked everything else via booking.com and Agoda a few days before and that has been for a family of six!

bearnecessities

Like hell I’d go to Thailand as a single bloke!

Thanks for all the suggestions though, the ski one did get me thinking – however some more diligent googling today has thrown up that 10 days in the Caribbean is actually achievable with BA (with a few more £ thrown in)

Still a bit unnerved at the prospect of spending that much on a holiday,
    but being as this year I’m planning on actually putting some effort into settling down with someone, I may as well enjoy myself beforehand (-:

Thanks again.

plyphon
    Free Member

Like hell I’d go to Thailand as a single bloke!

Why not? Out of interest

tomhoward

Temptation is a cruel mistress….

That and I assume he doesn’t like green curry?

A word of caution, once you have found and settled down with said person, £1000 on a holiday will feel like pocket change….

bearnecessities

Why not? Out of interest

To be honest I’m a hell of a catch, and I don’t want to spend my holiday rebuffing the advances of many women declaring their love for me and wanting to spend the rest of their life down my allotment.

TL;DR: Single men in Thailand are viewed as sex tourists.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Only if you go to those types of bars

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sri lanka

bearnecessities

Only if you go to those types of bars

..and I’d like to not have such considerations to deliberate over when on my stress-free holiday. Ok? (-:

mogrim

You could always go to one of the less touristy Canary islands, they’re not all booze n beach. But Thailand would be a lot more exotic, of course.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fancy pants holiday for £1000?’ is closed to new replies.