Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • fancy jeans care (selvedge denim)
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

so i’ve purchased a pair of selvedge denim jeans, and lovely they are too.

the care instructions says don’t wash for 6 months – this i expect (having had similar quality jeans before), and isn’t a problem.

however, the instructions also said that they’d shrink by 1 size after the first wash; now this interests me, as they are a little too big…

can i just wash them now (to get the desired shrink), or will i be breaking some unwritten code and ruin them forever???

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Give the a cold soak in the bath other wise the dye will likely stain light clothes.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ten minutes should do it, then get working on those ‘epic fadez’. What are they out of interest?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

you can wash them now, you’ll loose a lot of dye, but it has too happen sooner or later. I’m wearing a pai r I’ve had for 5 years. washed maybe 6 times, first time after 18 months, they are lovely, it’s amazing how they age…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Give the a cold soak in the bath other wise the dye will likely stain light clothes.

will that get the required shrinkage?

Ten minutes should do it,

in the washing machine?

they be No Nationality

ericemel
    Free Member

I have a few pairs of selvedge denim and swear by them. I usually pop them on and jump in the bath to get the initial fit. Though TBH I have washed a pair new too – no problem at all – I have two pairs exactly the same and I cannot tell which ones I washed from new….

I believe you will be cooler if you don’t wash them for the first 6 months 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

you can wash them now, you’ll loose a lot of dye

they’re quite dark, so i’m not too worried about that, i don’t think.

i think i’ll try soaking them for 10 mins…

wwaswas

don’t wash for 6 months

do you live in an H-block or something?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

in the washing machine?

Nah just in the bath, give em a little swirl around until the water goes a bit blue, dry them and wear. Yep that should shrink them as much as they ever would although they’ll give a bit as you wear them, when it does come to washing them use as cold water as possible and washing powder for wool is recommended. I’ve got a pair off NN 07, nicely made but I tend to live in my APC.

crikey
    Free Member

😆
    ” I’ve bought some fancy pants and I don’t know how to wash them “

Seriously, get a grip lad. Why not ask your Mum?

_tom_
    Free Member

Do these jeans not start to smell with that little washing?

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

curvature
    Free Member

Dirty scumbags…..not washing your clothes for 6 months?

How many pairs are you meant to own so that don’t get dirty or smell?

I think that the most I have worn a pair of jeans for is maybe just over a week and they needed a wash. They weren’t dirty but they just feel grubby.

banks
    Free Member

I got in the shower with mine & sat around in them for a bit then drip dry. Edwin somethingorother jeans 2 years old 3 washes starting look pretty good and that’s wearing them 5/6 days a week! As for smells febreeze is your friend or night in the freezer

What are APC like btw, better than Edwin?

CountZero

Do these jeans not start to smell with that little washing?

No.

Dirty scumbags…..not washing your clothes for 6 months?

How many pairs are you meant to own so that don’t get dirty or smell?

I think that the most I have worn a pair of jeans for is maybe just over a week and they needed a wash. They weren’t dirty but they just feel grubby.

We’re not talking ‘clothes’, rather a pair of denims that are almost certainly getting fairly light wear; nobody pays significant amounts of money for a quality pair of selvedge denims to wear to work or do the gardening or whatever in. Proper selvedge indigo denim has quite a strong smell of its own, that doesn’t fade much over time. I have a pair of Howies indigo denims, bought three or four years ago, and washed once. They still only smell of indigo dye.
    They only get a bit of mud on the legs when I’m out walking in the country, and they don’t look dirty, or feel it, but they only get worn evenings or weekends, the rest of the time I wear shorts or Danish army combats.

johnnystorm

Posh denim!? Isn’t that like having a tailor made boiler suit as Sunday best?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘fancy jeans care (selvedge denim)’ is closed to new replies.