Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fancy a quick ride before work tomorrow…Roman lakes crash course?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I start at 2 so from Stockport I’m thinking Roman lakes?

Anyone give me a quick once over of where to head from the cafe? I’ve been once, but with the Mrs so didn’t go too far. Just need a quick 90 minute blast up there before work if anyone can advise. Or any other ideas in the Stockport area?

monksie
    Free Member

Out of the cafe car park turn right. Turn right at the t junction, past the big house on the right and take the right hand bridleway up to Linnet Clough Scout camp. Straight up and then right through the golf course. Very shortly go Left up the sheep track and along the edge of the golf course. Left at the wall and up past Mellor Cross. You can’t miss it. It’s a huge cross overlooking Mellor. Drop down the other side. Turn right. Follow this to the crossroads. Turn left. Straight across the A road on to Shiloh Rd. keep looking left and then turn left onto bridleway and keep following obvious bridleways to Mellor Church. Follow road out of church and left and immediate right. Follow this until you get back to the top of linnet clough. Go straight on again but don’t go left as you would have earlier up to Mellor cross. Go straight on. Keep following bridleway and very narrow roads all the way to Fox Inn pub. Turn right down the long descent to Strines Station. Turn right at the bottom of the cobbles and follow this right round and through the farm. Left at the gate on your left and follow the bridleways back to Roman Lakes past Shouty Dogs Mk 11 and through the railway tunnel.
    Should do for an hour and a half. It sounds more complicated than it is. Lovely views if you like that kind of thing. Not many gates to slow you down and some decent climbs and descents.
    If you see a blonde 5 foot lady on a green Pinnacle Ramin 1, answers to Nicky and will stab you with her sharpened hand pump if you get too close (she’s mental), can you remind her that as it’s Friday, her husband (me) is looking forward to a chippy tea. Ta.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha! Love it! Cheers mate, think I’ll do your route and avoid Nicky!

monksie
    Free Member

Ha, She’s lovely really. The route is pretty obvious although if you go wrong, you won’t be sorry. It’s bridleways up and down all around there. I’m guessing your still based in and around Platform Zero?
    Actually, you could be just the person I need. I’m on the 8.39am to Cardiff Central on Tuesday. Arriva I believe? Can I get my bike on that train (without a booking) as well as me? I’m booked on. Coach C.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha! Nah I work on 1 & 2 these days, Virgin Trains have realised how amazing I am! Yeah you’ll be good on that train mate, only the VT really you have to book with. I’m announcing that day. Come and say hello!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a quick ride before work tomorrow…Roman lakes crash course?’ is closed to new replies.