Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fancy a go at wheel building…
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I enjoy fettling my bike as much as riding it… and fancy a go at wheel building…

Anyone done it and want to share experiences…

Any particularly good guides out there?

Cheap tools? (thinking 2nd hand eBay truing stand).

Advice on parts to use for my enduro bike (el guapo, will be racing enduro next year on it, but use it for everything)? can’t really look past hope hubs I dont think, thinking possibly arch EX wheels (strong enough?) I have superstar stans flows at the min and like them. spokes?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member
    wwaswas

If you can buy/borrow a spoke tension gauge it helps take a lot of guess work out of the spoke tension side of things.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chvck
    Free Member

A mate and myself recently built my new set of wheels. Youtube has loads of good videos and I’d advise paying special attention to the lacing part, we found that bit hardest. We wound up getting 1 hole out on the second side of the wheels and couldn’t work out why the spokes wouldn’t reach the rims… The truing and dishing was pretty easy – I used a pencil rubber banded to the forks/frame although a stand would be easier especially for the dishing bit.

They came a couple of mm out of true as the spokes “bedded in” (I was too lazy to tension/detension them a few times) but I nipped that up and trued them and they’ve been fine. Spank Spike Race 28 on a nukeproof generator (front) and a SS Tesla (rear) FWIW.

swavis

Yip, the wheelpro book is all you need. I’ve built 3 sets now and while not absolutely perfect they’re certainly good enough for personal use 😉

Just take your time and follow that book and you’ll not go wrong.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yeah i’ve built a couple of wheels – it does take ages,make sure you have the right spokes on the drive and non-drive side though and take your time to thread them the right way

– but it is weirdly calming –

i used the cable ties round the frame/fork trick – way cheaper than a truing stand

but then you could always have a go at building then get your LBS to fully true the wheels

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Take your time.

Lube your nipples.

Enjoy it.

It will be incredibly frustrating!

And take your time.

bails

Another +1 for Wheelpro.

Takes the mystery out of it and even shows you how to build your own budget wheel-building stand.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown’s website has a good guide, a propper stand makes life easier, as does a tension guage (£30 park one is fine).

MTB wheels are really easy as the rims are stiff, my fiorst 3 sets of MTB wheels went together first time, even tension, straight, etc. It then took me three atempts to get a set of light (1250g) road wheels correct, and a spoke still unwound and fell out in the first 300 miles, been fine since then though!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a go at wheel building…’ is closed to new replies.