Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fancy ago at DH this Sunday (FoD)
  • fodmtb
    Free Member

Dean Trail Volunteers

DH Race 2nd Sept
    The Dean Trail Volunteers are the magic trail pixies in the Forest of Dean who not only keep all the downhill tracks running sweet but build new tracks and trails too. All the profits from this race go to help the DTV build and maintain the FOD trails so the more people who enter this race the more you’re helping to sustain the trails.

The race will be on a brand NEW Downhill track , with all the usual categories, entry is £25. Its £30 if you enter on the day. If you’ve got any questions then hit the guys up on the Dean Trail Volunteers FaceBook page or via the dtvfod.co.uk website.
    FLYUP Downhill – one bus will be for racers £2 an uplift the other bus will be taking booking as normal. All tracks apart from the race track are still rideable.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Very tempting. Will this be on the new ‘The Good, The Bad, The Ugly’ section? Which top section will you use?

psling
    Free Member

The DTV have put a lot of work into the new downhill run with (in my nervous ol’timer opinion) some pretty impressive drops into berms towards the bottom 😯

Forecast is good for the weekend, hope the event is well supported.

fodmtb
    Free Member

Yes track will be the GBA, probably starting from the sign on fireroad due to timing.

dashed
    Free Member

Is uplift not included in entry price? Entry poster suggests so…

Also, what’s the deal with the course being so short? Queried a post on FB last night that suggested you’re only using half the hill for the race? Why’s that?

wilko1999
    Free Member

dashed – this was what I was wondering too. The new track starts some way down the hill. There’s some good top sections that could lead into it

steveh

Dashed – Uplift is not included in the entry, the poster isn’t super clear on this I agree. Having done the last 2 though I know it isn’t.

fodmtb
    Free Member

Correct uplift is not included; the actual start is right at the very top of corkscrew, but due to the young uns (rippers etc) racing the track has to be within an approx. time window.

It a great friendly event and good opportunity for first timers, you don’t need a DH rig for this track either.

Most importantly it a way to raise funds to keep the current DH & XC trails maintained and hopefully build some new. So an opportunity for people to put something back into riding here in the FoD. If anyone has some spare time the Dean Trail Volunteers are always looking for help.

dashed
    Free Member

I think “not super clear” is a bit of an understatement 😆

Yeah, it’s not explicit but it’s very much inferred it’s part of the package. Do you need to pay extra for “Trophies & BC Points” too 🙄 🙄

I know it’s not a big issue in the grand scheme of things (3 race runs, 3 uplifts, six quid…) and we’ve booked uplift for practice on saturday already but it’s all about managing expectations. Out of interest, what was the upift like last time – could you actually get a seat on the bus or was it long queues etc?

So can kids these days not do more than 1 min 30 secs on exercise??? What’s that all about??

whiter74
    Free Member

Push up is only 5-10 mins max, who needs an uplift anyway!
    All for a good cause if you ask me.

dashed
    Free Member

Yes, good cause indeed – several of us booked and paid our entry a good while ago and are travelling halfway across the country to show our support. However, we all though, without exception, that the race would be using the full height of the hill and was uplifted, with cost of uplift included in the entry fee…

Bit misleading when it’s actually a short course you can push up in 5 mins (apparently) and uplift is optional!!! I’m not saying it won’t be a fun day and a good race but the organisers should be clear about the detail up front.

wilko1999
    Free Member

dashed – if the track starts at the top of corkscrew as mentioned above, then that is the entire hill (only missing out the pedally flat section just before it) Corkscrew top + new track bottom will be awesome

whiter – seriously, can you push up in 10 minutes from the very bottom of the new track to the start of corkscrew? Thats some good pushing, esp with a full on dh bike

whiter74
    Free Member

Yes us locals can use our webbed feet for extra speed 🙂
    Hope you all have a fun days racing

wilko1999
    Free Member

ha ha oh I see

High Six!

psling
    Free Member

If it’s using the new trail then the obvious push-up (the Elbow)crosses the course (just above the actual elbow) which’ll be handy for a breather.
    If it’s starting at CorkScrew then I can ride that in 20 minutes so should be walkable in, oh, 15 minutes… 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ll give it a bash. What tyres (maxxis) tend to run well at FOD in dry and wet conditions? Never ridden there before so would be nice to have a decent starting point.

dashed
    Free Member

Bloody great weekend of riding in FoD 😆

Despite concerns expressed above by me, full use of length of hill was made – an no way you could have pushed up that in 5 mins!! Awesome course (although very pedally in places!! Less pies, more riding required!) and uplift was no big issue. Although would have been good if they’d staggered the vans at lunchtime so they weren’t both on a break at peak time for uplift for first runs!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fancy ago at DH this Sunday (FoD)’ is closed to new replies.