Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Fan. Crap. Here it comes.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just had a brief scan through today’s headlines.

Felt the anxiety level just go to the next level.

Oh. Crap.

Jamie
    Free Member

Then don’t read the papers.

Go outside and have a walk.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Wot Jamie said.

Outwith your control? Don’t worry about it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have to say that “they” will be watched upon with earnest …

Why worry ?

And I don’t “get” your thread title..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Every day the headlines just make it look like everything is turning to complete shit. Threats of nuclear war in the east/slaughter in Syria/slaughter and the triumph of military government in Burma/natural disasters/an idiot with his finger on the button in America/Brexit bullshit and on and on and on.

And now it’s topped off with the cherry-on-the-cake of a Russian invasion threat in Europe.

I mean, I can’t complain as much as some because I’ve already had a comparitively long and adventurous life and ended up comfortable.

I heard the results of a survey that teenagers today are depressed because they see the rest of their life being rubbish and given the choice, would go back in time and have the life their parents had.

I don’t effing blame them. If I feel like this I can’t imagine how they’re bloody coping.

And on the radio they’re cheerfully burbling on about cricket and cooking by the signs of the zodiac

Good grief. 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok then. Do something about it. Stop spreading panic, and instead spread some joy.

Go volunteer somewhere. Donate to the Red Cross. Etc.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Where’s that old t-shirt …
    Just get on with your life ..whatever happens ..happens and there’s nowt you can do about it 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjuPJskNRE[/video]

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

You need to chill, woppit! And stop reading newspapers – I suggest reading Viz instead…

And on the radio they’re cheerfully burbling on about cricket and cooking by the signs of the zodiac

Why shouldn’t they? Does “normal” life need to cease and we all run around in a blind panic of impending doom that the end of the world is coming…

downhillfast
    Free Member

Cheer up, it’s not all that bad, it was worse during the war you know…

twicewithchips
    Free Member

These four guys on horses have just gone down my road.

enfht
    Free Member

Cheer up and remain positive, islam will deliver.

scotroutes

I heard the results of a survey that teenagers today are depressed because they see the rest of their life being rubbish and given the choice, would go back in time and have the life their parents had.

I grew up with public information ads on the TV telling us how the Royal Observer Corps would be monitoring the nuclear fallout.

jonnyboi

Independent is using click bait ‘end of the world’ stuff a lot more frequently. I think it’s going to die out itself soon

spekkie
    Free Member

There’s no more crap today than there was in the past. You just get to know about it easily nowadays.

The saying “Ignorance is Bliss” is spot on.

nealglover
    Free Member

Good grief.

Quite right.

What’s the point in having a sense of perspective when there is an opportunity to run around in circles screaming and waving your arms around. 🙄

martinhutch

Our 24h news cycle of doom and gloom is bad news for people who are prone to this kind of anxiety. Feel for you Mr Woppit.

But seriously, turn it off, ration your consumption of all news sources, get out in the fresh air. I seriously doubt Armageddon is just around the corner, but even if it was, be on the safe side by enjoying every moment just in case it is.

devash
    Free Member

Rule number 1 for a happy life; turn off the mass media.

zippykona

I was going to click on the link but I’m laying in the sun and I’m off to go and watch some urban downhill so I shall remain ignorant and happy.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yep. You’re absolutely right

Got a couple bikes in t’ shed.

Best use one of them…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP negative news sells, clickbait etc

See this message from an ex Times journalist who has started his own website

WELCOME ABOARD
    Thanks for recently subscribing to UnHerd. Here’s a welcome message from our Editor, Tim Montgomerie – explaining what we’re trying to achieve.

Is Trump the only one who consumes too much news?
    Watch the introductory video to UnHerd.
    Welcome to UnHerd!

At the end of last year – a year I largely spent in America, covering that great country’s extraordinary election campaign for The Times of London – I knew I had to reset my career path. I resigned my position as a columnist without a concrete plan and, consequently, without any funding for my unknown future either.

I knew I had to do something different. The huge upsets of 2016 weren’t just signs of a broken politics and a broken economic model – although they most certainly were. They were signs of a broken media, too. Broadcasters and publications that were routinely so out of touch with large parts of the nations they covered that they didn’t even begin to understand why so many people had voted in the way they had. Newsrooms, rightly so careful to seek more gender and ethnic balance within their teams, had not noticed that ideologically, socially and in other vital ways, they had become monochrome. Despite the largely manufactured attention given to ‘fake news’ in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s victory, I’ve become convinced that the fundamental biases of the news industry add up to a much bigger problem than the often lo-truth output of the world-wild-web.

As I argue in UnHerd’s brief launch video the power that 24/7 news has in western societies is dragging politicians, investors and whole cultures…
    away from the important and towards the new;
    away from the positive and towards the negative;
    away from where most of us agree and, stoking up partisanship, to topics and to personalities that generate more heat than light;
    and again and again to a focus on politics, politics, politics rather than to a rounded view of the other upstream and sometimes greater influences on our lives and times – notably technology and the arts, and also higher education and religion
    As Nigel Cameron wrote for UnHerd, CNN devoted 92% of a recent day’s programming to covering Trump. Not because of (misguided) editorial standards but because Trump-watching makes more money for the network than covering our planet and our times in more balanced ways.

I do not honestly know if UnHerd will succeed in its attempt to build an audience of people who want to spend more time focusing on the important things rather than the latest things. But I’m incredibly grateful that you’ve given us your email address as a first indication that you’re at least interested in what we’re trying to do and, hopefully, that you want to help us succeed in building a different kind of journalism.

I certainly hope that our first two extended essays – Lionel Shriver on her news-aholicism and Ruth Davidson’s case for rebooting capitalism – have given you an indication of our purpose and of the standards we hope to maintain. Sharp writing. Beautiful photographs, cartoons and layout. And always fact-based and with regular room given to different viewpoints so that you can make up your mind after all key arguments have been presented to you. If you ever see hints of spoon-feeding from us, please shout!

Tim

TIM MONTGOMERIE, Editor of UnHerd
    S O M E R E C E N T F E A T U R E S

Top image: The Ins of politics. Bottom: The Outs.
    Five of our most recent features:
    Forget Left versus Right – suggests Henry Olsen – Ins versus Outs is a better way of understanding today’s politics.
    Young British voters haven’t just turned away from the Conservative Party; their minds have turned away from conservatism – new polling for UnHerd from ComRes.
    In ‘how smartphones make our young people unhappy’, Peter Franklin thinks he may have found the best writing of 2017. Already.
    The even more deadly hurricane sweeping America – Ian Birrell on the opioid crisis in the US.
    Listen to our podcast on capitalism, presented by Juliet Samuel. Guests included Ruth Davidson, Niall Ferguson, Paul Mason and Ann Pettifor.
    Go to our homepage

Copyright © 2017 UnHerd Limited, All rights reserved.
    You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is:
    UnHerd Limited
    24/25 The Shard
    32 London Bridge StSouthwark, London SE1 0AA

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

CountZero

The world is truly going to Sheol in a hand basket, if you happen to live in the Caribbean, or Florida, or you’re a Rohinga Muslim in Mayanmar, but from a comfy middle-class point of view in an affluent Western country things are nowhere near that bad, unless you’re a hand-wringing Remainer, in which case your own little world is just as bad as for those in the path of a Cat 5 hurricane.
    Hope that helps. 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

… and we’re off.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I clicked on the link and saw that gun owners in Florida are planning on shooting down the hurricane. Then I assumed it was a spoof website.

But if the world ends before I’ve completed the Munros, I’ll be very pissed off.

DezB
    Free Member

Surely this has to cheer you up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OP, newspapers are just businesses struggling to compete in a dying market – they will use any old technique to create sales with the favourite ones being ‘celebrity’ news and scaremongering.
    I’d guess that >50% of the crap they print is just that.

Do yourself a favour, stop buying newspapers and stick to getting the news from the TV or the most creditable web sites you can find.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it definitely today’s headlines you’ve read?

Klunk
    Free Member

Rush Limbaugh says it’s a hoax as he legs it out the state!

maccruiskeen

3 tv channels and 4 minute warnings. We never had so good 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

Ignorance is indeed bliss.

I left for a ride on Wednesday just after the news was predicting nuclear war by lunchtime. As I was going for a ride up a few big hills all I could think was ‘At least I’ll get a good view of the mushroom cloud, must remember my camera!’

😀

slowoldman

It won’t be nuclear war that does for us. It’ll be plastics.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

Every day the headlines just make it look like everything is turning to complete shit. Threats of nuclear war in the east/slaughter in Syria/slaughter and the triumph of military government in Burma/natural disasters/an idiot with his finger on the button in America/Brexit bullshit and on and on and on.

And now it’s topped off with the cherry-on-the-cake of a Russian invasion threat in Europe.

It looks like the media/news channel etc have trolled you big time, coz that’s the reaction they need from you. You played right into the hands of the media. 😆

All that you have mentioned are practically irrelevant apart from the media generating anxiety to gain attention to make themselves (media) relevant and to the people who buy their news.

The conflicts in those regions are their own. They need to sort things out themselves whatever ways, but since nobody is going to give way then the only way is fight until the end.

Also until Russians set foot on your door step life is normal. Even if the Russians have landed on your door step what can you do? Nothing. Apart from joining them to get drunk speaking Russians … 😆

I wish for a massive nuclear war that wipe half (or more) of the human population from this earth. If I get incinerated in the nuke war so be it coz nobody lives forever.

The only certainty in life is death. Burn! Burn! Burn! 😈

boxelder

teenagers today are depressed because they see the rest of their life being rubbish and given the choice, would go back in time and have the life their parents had.

Shield your kids from the news, as a lot of it is ‘reporters’ trying to out doom each other. Kids are optimists by nature – don’t wreck it for them. This reminded me during the Brexit/Trump debacle

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQl5KYiiFDI[/video]

Kids growing up today are so much more open minded and racially integrated. Believe in them – they’re the future.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Op: your problem is taking the Indy seriously. All papers are pretty crap but that one is exceptional.

Cougar

All papers are pretty crap but that one is exceptional.

It’s really not. They have their moments for sure, but they’re one of the more moderate offerings relatively speaking.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

As usual, the ever-reliable “go for a ride” advice connected sharply with the top of the iron peg.

Also, with regard to that Bill Hicks video, yes.

I live somewhere beautiful and peaceful, why am I ruining the experience mithering on about something that’s happening somewhere else that I’ve no power over?

Indeed.

PS: “Guy Garvey’s Finest Hour” on BBC Radio 6 on Sunday afternoons from 2 to 4 (UK time) is brilliant.

The only thing wrong with it is the timing in the title.

8)

Sandwich

twicewithchips

– “You’re Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?”
    – REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

thecaptain
    Free Member

ok cougar, perhaps the indy is just the most extreme paper of the ones I read!

Gunz
    Free Member

Just clicked on the link, that pick-up wrapped round a tree is awesome. Really brightened up my day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Fan. Crap. Here it comes.’ is closed to new replies.