Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • F&R tyre combos on a ss
  • Clink

Help me out here! I presume the logic is you run a grippy wider tyre up front and faster rolling tyre out back?
    But on a ss, with more ‘torque’ when you stand on the pedals(sure thats wrong but you know what I mean) do you need a grippier tyre out back too?
    Running Bonty 2.2 ACX on my 29er ss at moment which are fine – just thinking what change as it gets drier. Also if I was to put a Mud X on in winter would i put it front or rear, due to above?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I get less torque out back on the SS as it’s not geared down to a slower speed. Same as when starting in snow you start in 2nd, no need for a grippier tyre than on a normal bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I just run the cheapest pair of ‘all conditions’ style tyres I can find on my SS, when the old ones have worn out.

oxym0r0n

Nev 1.95 in the winter WTB Nanoraptor 2.1 in the summer on the Quantocks on my SS…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some folk think too much

Clink

Some folk think too much

You’re probably quite right!
    Say I’m running 32:18 – if I’m cranking up a hill someone on a geared bike might well be in the granny ring spinning?
    Probably talking rubbish though!

thomthumb
    Free Member

ignore the fact it is a ss. run what ever tyres suit the bike, rider and conditions.

thats what i tend to go for.

coffeeking
    Free Member

clink – Yeah but the person in the granny will be able to apply more torque to the wheel than you will. The only difference is that you’ll be out of the saddle and unweighting the rear (probably) so that’s why you feel it slips more easily – its a matter of learning to balance your weight.

smiffy

I use the oldest, most knackeredest tyre on the rear of my SS as I scrub the knobbles off pretty fast. You’re not often in the right gear and far more likely to scrub the back tyre. I have a tidy one on the front, though.

dobo
    Free Member

fast fatter tyres are more comfy on rigid SS and is my choice for summer like the NN+RR
    thinner studdy tyres like mudx is my dark wet winter months choice
    SS dont really matter though

sometimes i like to mix it up and try new tyres too wooo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘F&R tyre combos on a ss’ is closed to new replies.