Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Familytreetrackworld
  • simmy
    Free Member

Anyone done a family tree ?

There are the online ones like Ancestory etc, are they any good or just a rip off ?

Is it easier just to go to the registery place and get birth certificates ?

Cheers

fadda

Bookmarked.

Does everyone get more interested in this as they get older?

Harry_the_Spider

The wife is very much into it, as is my Father.

Both use Ancestry.

dawson

Yep, something I’ve thought of doing. It just feels like something I ‘should’ do for my kids.
    I only have my mum left, so I might collaborate with her to get stuff written down before she gets too old.

E.g. what happened with her dad?, she never really mentioned him etc but wary of raking up shit

Dickyboy

not me but brother & sister have done loads, I’d say not easier but more rewarding to do the registry place & get the info first hand, not necessarily a good idea to believe other peoples research either…

beware of what you find out though, as most people have skeletons rattling around the place, found out some years ago that my parents were related as 6th cousins once removed or some such thing

StirlingCrispin

The sites sometimes offer a weekend of free access – worth taking advantage of as this gives you access to census records and birth certificates.

I typed my grandfather’s name into Google and managed to go back to the 1700s through someone else’s search. I’m now slowly filling in the gaps – and wishing I’d spoken to my relatives more while they were alive.

I’ve also concluded that life was brutally hard back then.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve also concluded that life was brutally hard back then.

It was if you met one of my distant relatives! He was a hangman with a score in excess of 140.

MoreCashThanDash

My dad has apparently done research on Mums family tree, but I’ve never had time to go through it with him.

He’s the middle child of 9, and has had nothing to do with his family since before I was born. He’s now late 70s and I’d like to do some digging before its too late.

scaredypants

Family trees don’t really interest me but my wife got the kids to “interview” her parents about their childhood and early lives

Surprisingly good – even her dad, who’s got demetia but remembers all that shit no bother and it was nice to hear him talking with real confidence about things

Dickyboy

I’ve also concluded that life was brutally hard back then

+1

gt x 2 grand mother died of some hideous disease in greenwich workhouse, gt grand parents met in an orphanage, somehow my grandad managed to get a half decent education

mrjmt
    Free Member

My dad is obsessive over ours, spends most of his time on ancestry.com

from what I can gather once you’ve got a bit of a tree going it’ll match it in to other peoples and thereby you can include all their stuff in yours so depends if you want to do it to find stuff out, or as a project and something to do. If its the latter, then the manual method may be better.

Think ours is massive now, he’s currently working on my wife’s Greek family for something a bit more ‘challenging’!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Familytreetrackworld’ is closed to new replies.