Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Family things to do in Birmingham/near NEC.
  • rockhopper70

Mrs rock is going to the clothes show live with 13yo daughter and I am driving them down. That leaves me and 11 yo daughter and 7 yo lad with a few hours to kill.

What would you recommend? Sea life…Cadbury world?

Needs to be within reasonable distance of the nec I reckon.

Cheers.

nellyp
    Free Member

this will keep them entertained

Thinktank

tomkerton
    Free Member

Yeah Sealife centre is a good one

ski
    Free Member

Out of the two, Cadburys World if they like Choc 😉

Do they like climbing? There is a great climbing wall at Star City, as well as some other things to do too. also check out the thinktank too

http://starcitycentre.co.uk/

pondo
    Free Member

German Market’s just started, so you could get the train into New Street and kill a bit of time pottering around that, if you’re going this side of Christmas? Might work well as a filler if you get round the SeaLife Centre with time to spare. 🙂

kayak23

Thinktank is good, Selfidges is quite good to look around, Sealife centre and around Gas st Basin is cool.

prawny

Cadbury world is good, best to book in advance though, we tried to go for the wife’s birthday and there was a 4 hour wait for a tour.

The sealife centre is really good.

The german market is great, although we took our two kids (one autistic and one probably autistic) and it was probably the worst two hours of my life. It was depressing watching the other families enjoy themselves while my kids were spinning around and moaning about everything. So I’d only recommend going there if your kids are ok with crowds.

nellyp
    Free Member

if you’re going to the sea life centre it’s worth popping in here (Library) for a look round

pondo
    Free Member

if you’re going to the sea life centre it’s worth popping in here (Library) for a look round

I have a friend who’s got in touch with the library to discuss the possibility of running an urban enduro around it. Let you know how it goes. 🙂

lunge

Sealife centre is good for a few hours.
    ThinkTank is even better in my opinion, lots of hands on stuff to get their brains working.
    The new library is stunning, the kids section is brilliant.
    I’m not convinced about Cadbury World, the queues tend to be big but maybe that was me catching it at a bad time.
    There is also the National Motorcycle Museum if proximity to the NEC is important.

If it was me I’d do Think Tank and the Library, they’ll love both.

pondo
    Free Member

I have a friend who’s got in touch with the library to discuss the possibility of running an urban enduro around it. Let you know how it goes.

Declined. 🙁

“Unfortunately we could not host such an event in the Library of Birmingham, for many reasons, including Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and warranties – riding up an escalator on a bike would invalidate the warranty we have with manufacturers.”

What kind of stupid-a$$ escalator manufacturer wouldn’t warranty against bike use? 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

Speaking of which, any decent curry serving establishments near the NEC?

RobHilton
    Free Member

How near? 8 miles to both of these:

http://www.jyotis.co.uk/

Pretty good & I think the only Southern Indian place in Brum(but not a patch on some of the ones in Leicester)

About

Not been, (it’s just been re-invented) but it’s owned by the same people who own http://www.lasan.co.uk/ (top bollox Indian fine dining) so should be pretty decent.

shadowrider
    Free Member

There are loads of curry houses within a mile or so of the NEC, I regularly frequent Rasa in Marston Green, which is about 1 mile away, or 1 stop away on the train. There are loads of curry houses on the Coventry Road, which is quite close. But if you want some amazing traditional Indian food then you must go to Lasan in the city centre, costs a few quid but well worth it.

johndoh
    Free Member

So, as I am going to a gig at the Arena and staying at the Crowne Plaza on site, I assume a 1 mile saunter after the gig (on a Friday night) to Rasa will be the best bet?

rockhopper70

Thanks for the tips. I’ve ordered my admission tickets for Thinktank using clubcard points so will be going there.

the-muffin-man

Drayton Manor is close by and good for kids of that age.

bensales
    Free Member

rockhopper70 – Member
    Thanks for the tips. I’ve ordered my admission tickets for Thinktank using clubcard points so will be going there.

I suggest you get the train from the NEC to New Street, rather than driving into town if it’s a weekend. It’ll be a royal pain in the arse to get in and park at this time of year. Train is only 5 minutes, plus a 10 minute walk to Thinktank. Parking is probably cheaper at the NEC as well.

If you hadn’t already got tickets, I’d have suggested Hatton Country World. It’s a 30 minute drive from the NEC, but much easier to get to as it’s ‘that side’ of Birmingham, rather than Cadbury World etc which are on the far side from the NEC.

rockhopper70

Thanks for the tip there ben

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Family things to do in Birmingham/near NEC.’ is closed to new replies.