Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Family tents – Outwell Montana 6
  • druidh
    Free Member

We're looking to buy a decent size family tent and I've come across the Montana 6 – which seems to satisfy our criteria.

* enough space for separate sleeping and "living" quarters
    * 2 separate, decently sized, bedrooms
    * inner is completely sealed against midges etc
    * decent sized windows for a bit of daylight when stuck in during rain
    * "storm" door to keep the inner dry
    * isn't hugely expensive

Couple of questions though..

* is there enough room to cook safely
    * is the optional porch worth getting for extra space?

Any other feedback from happy/unhappy owners would be appreciated

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We have 2 Outwell tents. I have to say they are by far and away the best made tents I've ever used. I forget what ours is, but it's a 4 berth, and pitches all in one shot. The groundsheet is one piece with the flysheet and the inner just stays in place whn you pack. It was expensice, and it's heavy, but it's superb.

I also have a pop-up one I used for the Trans Wales. It's been rained on every night it's been used, and never let a single drop in.

Outwell stuff makes most other stuff look cheap and nasty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

ive got the montana 12 its the big version of the 6. Its a very well made tent. Cant fault it tbh. Easy to pitch too. I dont cook inside but i dont in any tent. Maybe thats the fireman in me lol. The door porch is big enough to cook under but id buy the canopy if you can. Where is the canopy for sale and how much as i need one too thanks

LeeW

Yes I would get the porch, I wanted the Montana tent a few years ago and the only reason we didn't buy it was beacuse of the lack of a good sized porch area – IIRC is wasn't available at the time.

We have an eight berth Outwell tent, I can't remember the name of it, it's a great tent, very well made and they have some good features.

snakebite
    Free Member

I have the Monty 6 with the canopy-great tent. We use the canopy for cooking though. I have some pics of it all up with the carpet and stuff, a home from home!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

It's good, i nearly got the 4-person size last year but couldn't justify the extra cost over the bargain Vango I managed to pickup.

avdave2

Vermont might be worth a look.

MartynS

Druidh..
    I've got a bloody big 6 man tent for sale.. theres only two of us so its a bit large.. we haven't used it much!
    The one thing it isn't is "midgesealed"

looking for about £65 for it. I'll do you pics if you're keen..

Sorry 'bout the Hijack!!

theotherjonv

Monty 6 with the extension canopy here too. Fantastic, loads of living space in the tent alone although i reckon the extra for the canopy is worth it to give you cooking shelter (couldn't bring myself to cook completely indoors!). The only issue I have had with it was last year when Cornwall got gales, the tent was fine – if a little 'blustery' but the open ended canopy was like a 4mtr powerkite and while the pegs all held, the bit where the webbing is sewn to the canopy has torn (still kicking myself, I said I should have had it down when we heard the weather was coming, it's a 10 minute job down or up)

If i was buying again I'd happily have the Monty 6, but for an extra £70 over the extension I'd also look at the new front awning to give you the option of flaps up or flaps down.

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/Detail.asp?ProductID=3670

footstomper
    Free Member

I bought a Norfolk Lake from Outwells Classic Collection last year and it is a superb peice of Kit. Its made from a modern cotten type of material which is extremely quite and ridgid in high winds but cool in blazing sunshine. It is a very similar style to the montana and has loads of space, i was a bit sceptical about spending the extra dosh but I am now glad I did.
    If you get a chance, go to somewhere which has a decent display and try any of the classic range then go into a midrange tent, I am sure you will be amazed at the difference.

lowey

Monty 6 is pretty much the best tent in its class. As the others said, get the extension as well. Superb.

I just wish I had bought one instead of my massive daft Diablo 900 🙄

bassspine
    Free Member

outwell FTW

snakebite
    Free Member

I had a Diablo 900, then a 600 and then got the Montanna, far better tent.

thehustler
    Free Member

had an outwell nebraska xxl for a couple of years, was a fantastic tent but eventually got bored of airbeds etc so now gone down the caravan route, but outwells def excellent tents…..

snakebite
    Free Member

http://www.snakebite.fotopic.net/p62916103.html mine with the porch.

and with the cooker and the cooker inside…. http://www.snakebite.fotopic.net/p53596575.html

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

negative cooking inside a polyester tent imo , but a good tent nontheless!

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks all – especially snakebite. I feel a shopping trip is now in order.

btw – I've cooked inside several tents, including little one-man jobs. As long as there's enough clearance and you're being careful it's just fine.

firestarter
    Free Member

you ever seen one go up onion 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

IN almost 50 years of camping, I've yet to see a tent on fire.

However, I've seen a house on fire – and still live in one – and a car on fire – and still drive.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive been in a (lots of) house on fire and a car but not a tent and i want to keep it that way 🙂 each to their own

shoei
    Free Member

We had a montana 6 with the Extension. Was great. The extension is ideal for cooking in, provided enough room.
    Having gthe carpet made it a home from home.
    Lots of room in the tent as well, so much so that with the 4 of us we never felt like were getting in each others way.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Family tents – Outwell Montana 6’ is closed to new replies.