Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Family of scroungers costs taxpayers £200 million/year!
  • Lifer
    Free Member

http://tinyurl.com/382zqaq

•£202.4m is equivalent to 9,560 nurses, 8,200 police officers and more than the total annual Ministry of Defence spending on food. The total cost is also equivalent to a number of high profile government cuts, including cuts to the Sure Start programme.

It’s high time something was done about this!

LHS
    Free Member

Hmmm, nice troll, but I somehow think the money they generate FAR exceeds the cost of supporting them!

Thread Closed.

surfer
    Free Member

I see an advert on the right with a Bull in it! Is it significant?

surfer
    Free Member

but I somehow think the money they generate FAR exceeds the cost of supporting them!

Actually they are well down the list of UK attractions. Far below Legoland I understand which begs the question why dont we replace them with Lego models?

LHS
    Free Member

Actually they are well down the list of UK attractions.

Really? No tourists come to the UK because of the Royal Family?

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you check the foreign tourist rates and the royals being at home or even here then amazingly you find nothing significant. It occasionally occurs at events such as a wedding but in general the answer is it appears to make little difference to tourist numbers. This does not stop people suggesting a tourist comes here with the sole intention of seeing royals and if that was removed they would stop coming.

LHS
    Free Member

Tourism in the UK is worth approx £80 billion to the economy and generates in excess of 2 million jobs. £200m seems like a bargain in investment terms.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I somehow think the money they generate FAR exceeds the cost of supporting them!

What money do they ‘generate’?

No, I’m not talking about money from tourist attractions or estates, I’m talking about the money they earn themselves. Y’know, from doing a proper job and that. Because all their land and property etc has bin paid for over centuries by the people of Britain in one way or another, so it belongs to the nation really, not to the royals themselves.

No they don’t. They come to gawp at buildings and stuff, not a bunch of people. They’d still come to gawp at the same things wether the royals existed or not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er I don’t think it’s the Royals in person. It’s the whole deal – changing of the guards, Buck palace, Windsor Castle and all that jazz.

It raises the profile of the UK in the minds of potential tourists in a way which is almost certainly not quantifiable 🙂

PS I am not a Monarchist.

surfer
    Free Member

Who said that?

Tourism in the UK is worth approx £80 billion to the economy and generates in excess of 2 million jobs. £200m seems like a bargain in investment terms.

Except that the Royals only make up a part of that. How much of the £80b can be attributed to them? That would be a more meaningful stat.

Even thats not the point. We could introduce public hanging and claim a benefit it wouldnt make it morally right.

LHS
    Free Member

They’d still come to gawp at the same things wether the royals existed or not

In reduced numbers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you are right look at France no Royals and no tourists there – same for America
    Thread closed
    Oh excellent now we play the unprovable guesses about what may happen in the future – why not try and prove they come here to see the royals. Look at the numbers who come here when the Queen is here and when the Queen is not here as there is not difference between these two numbers your suppositions is not true. Does London get fewer tourists when they go to balmoral for summer – where ever it is they go?
    Basically sway me with some facts ta

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but even if you took all that away Mol, there’d still be loads of stuff to do and see.

I really don’t think having living royals really does make as significant an impact on tourism revenue as monarchists suggest. Loads of other countries do well at tourism without having royals.

In reduced numbers.

Really? D’you reckon? Got any evidence to support this claim?

LHS
    Free Member

Cheer up, it costs the UK taxpayer over £5m a year to take care of Tony Blair still!!

Thats good value for money!

LHS
    Free Member

Really? D’you reckon? Got any evidence to support this claim?

Ermm no, and do you to the contrary? No, didn’t think so.

Probably best to just leave it there then.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I think i read that the current excursions in Libya have cost around 300 million already?

GrahamS

How many tens of millions of people across the globe tuned into the recent Royal Wedding again?

Yeah, definitely no interest in a living monarchy. I’m sure just as many people would have watched President Cameron’s son get married. 🙄

LHS
    Free Member

Oh dear, looks like someone else was trolling too!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/254625/-202m-Monarchy-worth-every-penny

binners

I’m no fan of the Royals. In fact I always thought we should adopt the French approach. But then when you think of the alternative? EEK! We’d end up with Boris Bloody Johnson or some other populist half-wit as a head of state. Do you want that? Do you?

Anyway… I suggest we need to contemplate the only good thing the royals have delivered. The royal wedding being somewhat eclipsed by the future monarchs sister-in-laws bum 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

yes you are right look at France no Royals and no tourists there

Nice example, have you seen Sarkozys budget this year?

In France, Nicolas Sarkozy set an annual budget for his establishment at the Elysée of 110 million euros (£90 million). Last year, the French head of state’s expenses were audited for the first time since the reign of Louis XVI; it revealed a flower bill of 275,809 euros and 3,000 euros in fines for late payment of electricity and gas

Lifer
    Free Member

No troll, bit of Daily Wail-esque hyperbole maybe but target audience and all that…

They cost double what the danish royal family do and they still don’t pay their cleaners the living London wage!

Isn’t about time we had a head of state in place for reasons other than an accident of birth?

As has been mentioned above the tourists will still come, and we’ll be able to make more money charging them to look around the various estates/selling off the vast property that is mismanaged and losing us money.

We’re all in this together…

surfer
    Free Member

@ LHS. But people do get the option to exercise a choice.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The royal wedding being somewhat eclipsed by the future monarchs sister-in-laws bum

Ooh….

It is a very nice bottom though.

Ermm no, and do you to the contrary? No, didn’t think so.

I’m not the one making such claims, so don’t need to support my argument with facts. I’ve merely expressed an onion; I am not claiming to be right or anything. I probbly am though but we know that anyway. 🙂

How many tens of millions of people across the globe tuned into the recent Royal Wedding again?

And how many tens of millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money did it cost the nation for policing and food and drink and all that?

Can I get my wedding paid for by the state please?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but even if you took all that away Mol, there’d still be loads of stuff to do and see.

I really don’t think having living royals really does make as significant an impact on tourism revenue as monarchists suggest. Loads of other countries do well at tourism without having royals.

Yes of course. I’m not saying you NEED royals to get tourists, that’d be stupid.

I’m saying that it probably helps in some small way to a big market. A lot of people come here for the history, and like it or not they are part of that.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ah the Express, such a bastion of free press and journalistic integrity that it doesn’t need the PCC.

But James Edgecombe, chairman of the British Monarchist League, said the costs calculated by Republic were taken out of proportion.

That’s surprising

Mr Edgecombe insisted that the security bill for the royals was more likely to be around £50million rather than the £100million claimed by Republic.

More likely? I stand corrected 😆

Of course removing the FOI exemption would sort it out immediately.

Lifer
    Free Member

DP

LHS
    Free Member

such a bastion of free press and journalistic integrity

Have you read some of the stuff on that Republic website!?! 😯

uplink
    Free Member

I took my mum to London just to see the Queen – Cost me a fortune being a Royal tourist it did

Never even got to see Chas ‘n’ Dave or Dick van Dyke

GrahamS

And how many tens of millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money did it cost the nation for policing and food and drink and all that?

Can I get my wedding paid for by the state please?

I suspect if your wedding was attended by international Heads of State and was viewed by a reported TWO BILLION people worldwide then you might get some funding!

geetee1972
    Free Member

So apart from £200m a year, which really isn’t even a rounding error in the scheme of the UK’s national budget/national debt etc, what would we actually gain by removing the monarchy?

Seriously, is it just about money for those of you that would rather we didn’t have them or is there something else involved?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I suspect my wedding would be attended by actual friends and people I’d want to invite, rather than a bunch of people I din’t really know and woon’t otherwise have there…

So, did the Royal Wedding actually benefit the nation in any real measurable way (apart from bring to our collective attention Pippa Middleton’s lovely bottom), or is it simple perceived benefit which doesn’t actually exist? IE, like most of the crap that surrounds the royals…

Cougar

Nice, unbiased source of information in the OP there.

I’m not particularly pro-or anti-monarchy. In the grand scheme of things, there’s better topics to be getting all worked up about.

In terms of tourism, they’re a part of a whole. I’m sure that tourists don’t come to England “to see the Queen,” but it might well be on a group’s tick list of things to do. If we abolished the monarchy I doubt it’d have a huge impact on tourism in and of itself, but it’s one less thing for people to see. You could have essentially the same argument about K6 phone boxes or Blackpool Tower.

LHS
    Free Member

like most of the crap that surrounds the royals

What’s that? A quote from 1997?

Yes, the modern day royals are terrible people aren’t they!?

Lets see what these awful waste of space royals are involved in

Centrepoint
    Tusk Trust
    Hospital support
    Mountain Rescue
    Uganda School support
    Playing fields
    Child bereavement
    ESSA
    Wellchild
    MapAction
    Help for Heroes.

How dare they!

uplink
    Free Member

So, did the Royal Wedding actually benefit the nation in any real measurable way

I measured an extra day’s paid leave from work, I definitely had that down as a benefit

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wonder how many tourists would come to see the royals guillotined? I bet quite a few. Then there would be all those who come to see where the royals were guillotined in the future, perhaps the guillotine could be made safe & they would all pay £15 to have their picture taken with their head on the block.

Just need to decide where to do the deed. Outside Buckingham Palace? The tower? O2?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What about countless others who are involved in charities?

Besides, half the time, the only ‘involvement’ they have is to turn up at fancy dinners or even just have their name associated with the charidees. Don’t see any other than Princess Anne actually getting their haynds dirty much…

Scamper
    Free Member

Prince William has a proper job, plucking injured mountian bikers off the side of hills. Being in the RAF, still sits around drinking champagne, mind. 😀

LHS
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

LHS – Member

such a bastion of free press and journalistic integrity

Have you read some of the stuff on that Republic website!?!

If you can’t tell the difference between a campaign group’s website and a national newspaper I think protecting the royals is the least of your worries! Post something up then and let’s talk about it.

Cougar – Member
    Nice, unbiased source of information in the OP there.

As I said above, if the FOI exemption was removed it would all become clear. But no, we’re just supposed to accept that the figure of £38 million given by the royal household (totally not biased) is right because, you know, they’re like the royals.

Seriously, is it just about money for those of you that would rather we didn’t have them or is there something else involved?

Unelected head of state based on nothing but an accident of birth because her ancestors were bigger bastards than all the other bastards.

Cougar

Unelected head of state based on nothing but an accident of birth because her ancestors were bigger bastards than all the other bastards.

Whereas, look how well we’re doing with all the ones we’ve elected instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Family of scroungers costs taxpayers £200 million/year!’ is closed to new replies.