Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • family holidays in egypt – sharm el sheik?
  • sadexpunk

we were looking at cuba, now changed our minds for egypt. got 2 teenage lads, both like snorkelling, water parks etc. are the hotels there much of a muchness? is it snorkelling from the beach with your own equipment, or do you have to take boat trips out? and any hotels have water parks included or are nearby? probably looking at late june, all inclusive.

any good or bad experiences with hotels, hidden costs etc? will sharm be best or are there just as good resorts there, or better even?

cheers

globalti
    Free Member

You want to go to Egypt? Really? Don’t you watch the news then?

gwaelod
    Free Member

For a holiday go to somewhere where on average people are wealthier than where you live.

For an adventure go somewhere where on average people are poorer than where you live. The size of your adventure will be determined by the size of the financial disparity

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

globalti – apparently foreign office advice is that the only area they recommend avoiding is Tahrir Square.

nickjb
    Free Member

From Sharm the snorkeling off the beach is OK but not fabulous. You need to take a boat out for the good stuff (which is really good). Not aware of a water park but I’ve not been for a few years. There’s quad biking and camel treks. If snorkeling off the beach is a big issue then Dahab, just up the coast is way better, its stunning. There are a few big resort hotels but its a much, much smaller town so it might be a bit dull for teenagers.

sadexpunk

thats more like what im after thanks nick. so i have to balance the snorkelling against other ‘fun stuff’ you reckon? if the snorkellings a lot better at dahab, what would we be missing out on compared to sharm?

globalti, yes i see the news from time to time, and as sf points out, theres no problems with sharm. ive also been to thailand during the political stuff and was fine. just a case of listening to advice about wheres safe. if there were riots in london would you advise against travelling to the lake district?

thanks for any constructive advice 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

so i have to balance the snorkelling against other ‘fun stuff’

That’s about right. Unfortunately the sea-life doesn’t sit well with modern development. The liveliest town is probably Hurghada but the coast has really suffered. Sharm has the marine park close by but the stuff just off the beach is OK rather than great Once you get away from the bigger towns the sea-life is amazing. Beautiful coral and fish everywhere, it really is another world. You will still get to see some fantastic life from Sharm if you do a boat trip or a taxi ride out of town, so it might be a good compromise.

Taff
    Free Member

Go to Sharm it’s awesome. We went a little while back and were told its better than Hurghada. We stayed in the Stella di and it’s own coral was awesome. We also went out to Tiran Island on an organised event and did some snorkelling there and found that the fish in our cove were just as good if not perhaps better. Saw a ray, eeland barracuda in the first few days as well as the other fish. There were a fair few with kids there too. We also booked some stuff with Sinai SAfari Adventure and Tim and Janet who sort out a load of excursions help you loads without pressure of buying stuff. They advised us on where to eat in town etc as we didn’t bother with the all inclusive as I wan’t going to drink 20pints a day etc etc.

sadexpunk

excellent, thanks chaps. i assume you book stuff with sinai safari adventure when youre there rather than online before you go?

cheers

Taff
    Free Member

You can book when you’re here or there. It doesn’t really matter, I’ve sent you an email on prices etc. If you get the concierge to call them they will come and visit you. If you don’t have a snorkel and goggles then ask Tim and Janet to bring some – they only cost 50E which is better than the 100E you would pay in Sharm instead or the 150-200E you may in the hotel. Just make sure you take a first aid kit with some bare essentials just in case.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. Sharms a ggo dplace for a family holiday.

Go.

Have Fun.

Snorkle.

I’ve mate who runs a holiday firm and he’s sending loadsa people out there, has been doing it for 10 years now. Repeat business etc..

Hotels are 4* (ish) generic, family freindly, lots of them, loadsa people out there enjoying themselves, really does depend on budget but good deals out at the mo’

As for watersports, buy some gear whilst out there and find one of the reefs to play on. If you are more serious then you are better joining in on a trip (loads to choose from)

jota180
    Free Member

globalti – apparently foreign office advice is that the only area they recommend avoiding is Tahrir Square.

But he’s talking about next June, a lot could happen
    does insurance pay out for civil unrest/revolution?

Not sure I would risk any hard earned in that part of the world at the moment, I’d wait until things are a bit more stable and go elsewhere in the meantime

hora
    Free Member

TBH after last years velvet revolution I’d have gone. Not this time though, I’d wait to see whats happening as theres a different angle this time. Its not ‘him out’ is it?

Plus, do you really want our soldiers lives put at risk having to go on there on military transport if it really does go bad?

KT1973
    Free Member

Give it a wide berth

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘family holidays in egypt – sharm el sheik?’ is closed to new replies.