Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Family holiday to Morzine/Les Gets next summer – what's it like nowadays?
  • dazzlingboy

Waaayyy back in the day – think it was 1996 or 7 – me and the (now) Mrs went to Les Gets for a mountain bike holiday. Now thinking of going back with our little ‘un who will be 4 next summer.

Question is – what is it like nowadays? I’ll be doing some biking 😆 but will also want some non-bike/non-biker walking etc plus something for Mrs and Mini to do when I’m out and about.

I’m just concerned that the whole place will be like a giant Glentress carpark on a bank holiday weekend – rammed with youffs maxing it to he power of rad? 😕

Or should I be going somewhere else altogether?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’ll be expensive, but it is (well was the last time I went about 4 years ago) still good fun and doesn’t feel like a skate park.

nickf
    Free Member

It’s lovely, which is why I bought a place there and go back every winter and summer.

Lots to do for grown ups, a bit less for the smaller ones. There are the ubiquitous donkey rides etc, but for me one of the attractions of the place is being able to take a chairlift up, walk along a ridge, and take the lift down – ideal for the kids. You’re obviously within easy distance of Chamonix (take the railway up to the glacier, walk inside it etc), there are several aeriel walkways (rope-things) which at the lowest level would be fine for your young ‘un, there’s Lac Montriond, the summer sledge-run (fantastic!), a new swimming pool to be completed for next summer…loads of stuff. Not sure you’d be able to do even the most gentle of the white-water rafting-type activities though.

Whilst there are a fair number of Vaderesque characters shredding rad to the power of max (sadly, I’m one of them), they don’t take over the town, and the lift queues for non-riders are very short.

dazzlingboy

You’ve hit the nail on the head – I’m concerned that it has turned into a big skate park.

nickf
    Free Member

Dazzling – don’t worry, it hasn’t. Still reassuringly middle class and expensive!

stevemorg2

Stayed in Les Gets last summer with another family (Chatel the year before) 4 kids between us ages from 9 -16
    We did a lot of biking – my kids are into it but there is so much else to do. The walking is great – try the Roc d’Enfer – and as nicf says there is loads to do. The stormtroopers congregate close to town – it’s not difficult to get away from that but it feels quite chilled – I think the highlight of my 11 yr olds son stay was overtaking a group of fully armoured guys of DH bikes who then “high-fived” him when they caught him up!

Scamper
    Free Member

My wife and I visited Morzine and Les Gets this summer and loved it. Our secret was to go the last week in August just before the lifts shut – our very nice accomodation in Morzine was circa £80 each from Rider’s Retreat or the like. Overall it was pretty quiet especially Les Gets, but far from a ghost town.

We did mostly XC, but you have to put the effort in to find the trails away from the tourist runs. Prior to arrival i’d read a lot of on line moaning about braking bumps on the downhills – it wasn’t that bad and I was only on my stumpy, let alone a max sick downhill bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I went to Les Gets again in 2009 and head a great time. Went to Chatel this year and I’ll not be going back. Skate Park to the power rad pretty much sums it up. I guess it will hit Les Gets eventually but I don’t think it has so far. Funny, when I started riding in the PdS, Chatel was the xc/trail end and Les Gets was the hard core end.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Family holiday to Morzine/Les Gets next summer – what's it like nowadays?’ is closed to new replies.