Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Family holiday in Scotland – Activities near St Andrews / Dundee
  • beamers

Evening all

Mrs B and B Junior (16 months old and toddling quite well) are off to Scotland at the weekend. We are going to be staying with the Outlaws for about 10 days in total.

Any suggestions for activities / places to visit that would get us out of the house would be much appreciated.

We are National Trust members if that helps.

And no we don't play golf.

Ta in advance.

jordie
    Free Member

if it is raining take a look at the secert bunker at near crail.It is a cold war spy bunker i thought i was interesting.
    are you taking your bike up here too

mimi123
    Free Member

dunoo about st andrews much – nice beach, sea life centre. Dundee not much there I am afraid. We are having a camping holiday soon to fort william where you can get the steam train from fort william to mallaig – kids alwasy loves trains – also the condolla ride is fun. Loch ness for a boat trip to find the monster….. The highlands are fun but no so for a veyr young toddler unless they like catchin midges!

beamers

Already done the Secret Bunker.

Yep, bikes are coming too. Spending a couple of days at GT sans B Junior.

Dawnrazor
    Free Member

It all depends on how far you want to go.

The secret bunker is worth a look. As well as that, for NT properties there's Kellie Castle, Tarvit house and Falkland Palace. Overall Fife isn't terribly touristy so you might be advised to take your bike with you and sample some local trails.

Taking a day trip to the likes of Edinburgh or Stirling at around an hour each way could also be well worth it.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, Fife's not all that bad 🙂

skinnysteel
    Free Member

We have been holidaying in Crail each of the last 5 years. It isn't terribly touristy, which in my view is part of it's appeal. Born a Fifer, and raised in Kinross may also have something to do with it.
    The stretch of coast north of Largo to the Tay estuary is a gem: a coastal path links characterful old fishing towns and villages – catch a bus back. Elie (watersports centre at the harbour), Anstruther (great fish suppers from the Anstruther Fish Bar, but prepare to queue, & a busy harbour), Pittenweem (cobbled alleys leading up to the main street, gallery browsing) Crail (postcard perfect harbour) and of course St Andrews are all worth investigating.
    St Andrews: even non-golfers like myself have to sit outside the Club House and watch the rich on the 18th green. Great for a leisurely stroll around the centre, harbour, ruined cathedral and castle. Ice cream sundaes at Jannettas on South Street. Ziggys for burgers. The Lammas Street Fair starts around the 7th. Great little natural history museum and peaceful botanic garden. What's not to like?
    Dundee gets bad press, but they're working hard on the old seafront area with a number of attractions well worth a visit: Scotts Discovery, HMS Unicorn, Sensation Science Centre, Verdant Works, swimming pool and lunch at DCA. Agood rainy day destination. The drive across the Tay Bridge always special.
    Inland I'd 2nd Falkland, the palace and a walk up the hill. Also biking there I believe. Perth is a fine city with nice walks along the River Tay. Perth Highland Games w/e 14th I think.
    Catch the train from Leuchars to Edinburgh. Goes over the Forth Railway Bridge – described as awesome by our Harry. Lands you smack in the middle of Edinburgh, and of course the festival is about to kick off.
    We're up there for 2 weeks from the 7th – can't wait. No bikes tho', I'm afraid.
    Fife's not all bad? Stay away from Rosyth, Kirkcaldy, Methil and Kelty and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

NZCol

Go and see my mum, give her a hug from me cos she was widowed last year and is a bit sad ? 😀

Jenattas for as much ice cream as you can physically stomach – the scottish tablet is pure ecstasy.

big_scot_nanny

Wow, i'm keeping response on record for future trips.

Agree that discovery point in Dundee is really excellent. FAb museum, very interesting.

If you do go in to Flakirk, the falkirk wheel is well worth a visit also. Amazing thing.

Have fun!

Kev

beamers

Cheers all, especially Skinnysteel. Sorry to hear about your mums loss NZcol.

I'l confess that we have stayed with the outlaws quite a few times already and have already visited some of the places on this thread already.

I was looking for some fresh ideas, which I have now got.

We are also taking our road bikes as the road riding from the front door is brilliant.

Cheers

Futureboy77

My little un is around the same age as B Junior and loves the zoo and play area at Camperdown Park in Fundee.

Although Blair Drummond Safari Park takes it to a whole new level! 😀

NZCol

I was feeling bad because I can't give her a cuddle and if you were in the area, you know. She would not be surprised one iota either !.

It's a lovely spot and as you say the road riding is nice. Good walk east of town at thingymawhatsit beach, drive out past kinkell braes and in one of the villages turn l down to a car park. Goes along shore amongst a newish golf course- is nice.

MrGrim

Tentsmuir beech is worth a visit as well. Nice walks in the forest, big sandy beach and a seal colony.

geoffj

The little one will like Craigtoun Country Park too

http://www.fife.gov.uk/atoz/index.cfm?fuseaction=facility.display&facid=6389BAE1-BFCF-4116-A06E6168C87CE959

Fisheries Museum in Anstruther (pronounced Anster by the locals)

The best beach in the area is at Elie.

Have a good trip.

bruneep

Stirling jail next to the castle is worth a visit, they have/had an actor playing various parts (he nips away and changes Mr Ben style).
    It was very good and funny at times.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you've got transport and don't mind a bit of a trek The Hermitage, up by Dunkeld is well worth a visit, and there are trails around there. Maybe 40 miles away.
    Also, downriver from Dundee is Arbroath – park a car in the big carpark at by the cliffs and walk/cycle to Auchmithie and back, great clifftop route, but keep an eye on the kids if they're on bikes – Auchmithie is really nice.
    Balmerino Abbey in Gauldry if piles of old stones are your thing.
    Tayport, opposite Dundee has a harbour. Around high tide (times in the local paper) go and see if you can see dolphins – I've seen them a couple of times this year and they have mostly been on the Fife side. In fact, in cool days out terms, a trip on the dolphin boat works, even if you don't see them (but if you do, they tend to come alongside the boat
    click here
    and here
    Come to think of it a river trip up Perth would be pretty neat.
    Come to think of it again, if you're in Perth, Kinnoull Hill is neat and has a trail or two I believe

hels
    Free Member

And of course the compulsory Fish and Chips in Ainstruther – eat them on the wharf. Expect to wait they cook them properly to order. Have won loads of awards.

There is a nice walk along the Fife Coastal path from St Andrews, and loads of good cafes.

drain

Another vote here for Ziggys, much time and grant money spent there over the years.

The University's botanic gardens are a lovely place to picnic, some nice big lawns for toddlers to, er, toddle on. It always used to be that we just strolled in with no formal entrance/pay point, but don't know if that's changed.

St Mary's Quad on South Street is also very picturesque, a great place to chill – feel free to sit on the bench dedicated to Kath MacDonald and think good thoughts.

There's a beautiful little walk along Kenley Water up by Boarhills to the south east of St As, the path runs alongside the burn which comes out onto the beach. Backpack need for B Junior though.

beamers

Thanks again everyone.

It's looking like our holiday isn't going to be long enough!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Family holiday in Scotland – Activities near St Andrews / Dundee’ is closed to new replies.