Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Family-friendly pootles near Penrith Center Parcs?
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Heading down week after next. Can anyone recommend low-traffic or traffic-free tarmac/hardpack routes for pootles with the family?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Askham fell (moor divock ) just South of pooley Bridge is probably the best area, theres a nice steady climb from Askham village thats nice too. The Bridleway towards Howtown is a classic route and then back along the lakeshore road, climbing again from road head farm.

jekkyl

head into Keswick and park by the swimming pool then take the old railway line out as far as the broken bridge and back again, should be about 2 miles maybe.
    The other one I can think of is the old coach road behind Helvellyn.

breadcrumb

Old Coach road was fairly washed away/eroded last time I went along it.

ElShalimo
    leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will take a look at those. Missus has a dutch style city bike and I’ll be pulling a kiddy trailer so can’t be anything too gnarly.

iainc

Surely with the amount it costs to have a break there, the last thing you’d do is go out, away from the facilities, for a few hours …. 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Haha yup 🙂 The swimming’s included so we’ll be doing lots of that. Short stuff is a bit too young for the other activities, thankfully.

Just noticed Great Dun Fell isn’t far too 8)

MrSparkle

Whinlatter is just down the road a bit. Any use?

GHill

Surely with the amount it costs to have a break there, the last thing you’d do is go out, away from the facilities, for a few hours

They’re a bit like a prison camp, I’m not sure you’re meant to leave.

chestrockwell

Surely with the amount it costs to have a break there, the last thing you’d do is go out, away from the facilities, for a few hours ….

Tbf if you go outside the school holidays it’s not excessive. We just had a mon-fri trip with our two kids and the PiL, stayed in a lovely two story cottage with use of numerous facilities for £600 (£300 for us). Happy with that.

OP, don’t plan on going too far as it’s a pita to get your car mid stay and for what you are looking for you’ll probably get enough riding time just exploring the site. Plenty of bits and pieces to have a look at on the way round. Saying all that, my lad just wanted to get to the pool!

Don’t forget that although you can’t get in the accommodation until 3pm and have to leave by 10am you still have full use of the facilities so get there early first day and stay as late as you can be bothered last. Think we left about 2.30pm the other week after a morning in the pool and a leisurely lunch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Family-friendly pootles near Penrith Center Parcs?’ is closed to new replies.