• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Family Friendly Bike Ride in Scotland
  • Matt-P
    Free Member

I’m up by Rosyth for a few days in August with the family. Any child friendly bike rides within an hour or 2? Looking for something suitable for a 5 and 6 year old who are good for about 5 miles (or more if we take the trailers)?

scotroutes

Head over the bridge and pick up the Union Canal at Ratho.

Pentlands from Flotterstone.

NCN7 from Callander.

euain

Loch Leven? Pretty close (wee jaunt up the M90) and it an easy cycle round. Can also get a boat the the island in the middle.

Edit – here’s a map of the trail: Map

perchypanther
    Free Member

Across the bridge and back? 3 miles-ish?

NZCol

cyclepath along foreshore to Culross

Matt-P
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions, gives us plenty to try.

fasthaggis

Across the bridge is great,they will love it.
    Fife coastal path under the bridges towards Inverkeithing.
    Going underneath the rail bridge is also awesome 🙂

st66

Loch Katrine – you could cycle to the end of the loch and get the boat back. The road is (mostly) free of cars. Plenty of places to stop on the shore for a picnic.

sparkov
    Free Member

You could get to Callender Estate, near Falkirk, in about half an hour. They have a nice little green route through some woods that would be suitable.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Loch Leven? Pretty close (wee jaunt up the M90) and it an easy cycle round. Can also get a boat the the island in the middle.

Edit – here’s a map of the trail: Map

+1 for that, and you can get ice cream at the end

Loch Katrine – you could cycle to the end of the loch and get the boat back. The road is (mostly) free of cars. Plenty of places to stop on the shore for a picnic.

Waaaay too hilly for small kids in my opinion – more one for 10-teens

kcr
    Free Member

Very close to Rosyth you have the bridge itself, Fife coastal path, or the cycle path heading west from Dunfermline to Alloa (ex railway line, so nice easy cycling). Near the south end of the bridge you can pick up the Route 76 off road cycle path from Hopetoun House that runs to Blackness Castle (3 miles) which the kids may enjoy exploring.

transporter13
    Free Member

Thats weird as I have been meaning to ask the very same question…but for the border region as the transporter clan will be staying near Lanark in august and I cant seem to find anywhere on the web that gives info regarding suitable trails/routes for trailers.
    If anyone can help then I would be grateful…..apologies for the thread hijack 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thats weird as I have been meaning to ask the very same question…but for the border region as the transporter clan will be staying near Lanark in august and I cant seem to find anywhere on the web that gives info regarding suitable trails/routes for trailers.
    If anyone can help then I would be grateful…..apologies for the thread hijack

Strathclyde Park / Chatelherault

Matt-P
    Free Member

More great suggestions thanks – can’t believe the number of times I’ve driven past Callender Estate without realising we could take the bikes.

kcr
    Free Member

From Callendar Estate it’s also fairly easy to get onto the canal via a nice wide pavement, and then you can ride down to the Falkirk Wheel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Family Friendly Bike Ride in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.