Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Family cycling trip to Amsterdam- any tips?
  • TomB

We’ve been thinking about going on Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry with bikes with the family, possibly 5 days ish at easter. Has anyone done similar? We’ll take a trailer for gear and be looking to stay indoors- b+b, hostel?, rather than camping. Once in Holland we aren’t wanting long bike touring, more just exploring the local area. Kids are 9 and 7. I’d love to hear any experiences or tips, things to see and do. Cheers!

jekkyl

a trailer for all the gear? sounds reasonable. I’ve heard cycling stoned can be lots of fun. 😉

white101

Cycling around the centre of Amsterdam is like no other bike ride you’ve been on. I’ve done it twice and found myself to be the worst rider ever! watching women cycle in heels with a business suit on talking on the phone with a kid sitting on the handle bars freaked me out, don’t bother with hand signals just turn, cobbles everywhere and the tram tracks!
    Have fun its great

tjagain

I wouldn’t ride round amsterdam. For us brits its absolutly crazy. With a family in tow it will not be enjoyable at all IMO. Outside of the city its great to cycle around but in the city – nerve wracking as you get bikes passing you on all sides allthe time and they don’t tell you the rules and cycling code – you are just supposed to know.

Probably the most nerve wracking cycling I have ever done riding the tandem across amsterdam

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I found it fairly chilled in the city on a bike, just don’t head down the main streets. If your not heading out of the city why not just hire some bikes when you are there, the local heavy things are fine as the only elevation is over a bridge or 2.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qLeEXT]A cold morning ride[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qtMEn6]Exploring by bike[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    The real question is can ytou find enough to keep the kids occupied for 5 days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Family cycling trip to Amsterdam- any tips?’ is closed to new replies.