Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Family cycle touring in France
  • hooli

Any recommendations for family cycling in France?

Kids are both under 10 so would prefer it to be off-road and I would need to keep the daily mileage sensible, I while back I read about miles and miles of disused railway track that would be ideal but I cant find the article or remember where in France it was 😳

Would prefer BnB’s but could look at camping if needed. Happy to look at a company who arrange it for you and transport your luggage each night but also happy to DIY and carry our gear in a trailer.

Google returns mostly road cycling tours or very expensive guided gastro tours.

Anybody done it before, any recommendations on where to head and accommodation options?

Stoner
    Free Member

Research voie verte. Nice ones around the loire and through burgundy. Easy family going.

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden any but I think they are called ’voies vertes’

stoner beat me too it – they do look quite good

hooli

Brilliant, thanks chaps.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just to add when I was getting off a hte plane in Nance I saw a family arriving on bieks with a buggy / baby trailer so its doable. Loir valley area so pretty flat.

mugsys_m8

Atlantic Coast.

http://www.velodyssey.com/

Every year we tour with our 2, and last year we decided to stay in our home country and do the Atlantic Coast ‘ Les Landes’ after having had 2 years in Denmark.

We biked from Bassin d’Arcachon down to Biarritz last summer. Through the pin e forests on pristine ribbons of cyclepath tarmac mostly away from roads. A 3 week camping trip with Etienne 7 on his bike and Pia 4 on her bike and follow-me tandem. Then get the train back (well ok we started at Parentis, down to Biarritz, train up to Arcanchon then rode down to Parentis were we found a campsite that would let us park our car for 3 weeks).

Be warned: In summer the campsites are very busy, sometimes expensive and sometimes very noisy. If you don’t mind the lack of options (i.e. you either head north or south every day) then it has much to reccomend, especially if you have not been there before.

I commented on a thread about the area about a month or so ago.

nedrapier

The last French family I saw cycle touring was in Slovenia.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Family cycle touring in France’ is closed to new replies.