Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Family camping -what do we really need?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

As our eldest is now at school Mrs E has decided that a few weekend camping trips spread across the spring /summer would be better than one or two rediculously expensive weeks in the school holidays (we’ve decided against any longer camping as neither of us fancy more than a long weekend using a shared toilet/shower block!). All of my previous camping has been relatively light weight stuff so we’re pretty much starting from scratch, but what do we actually need for a family (2 adults, 5yr old, nearly 2yr old and dog) camping trip (apart from a tent and something to sleep on/in)?

scotroutes

Table. Chairs. Cooker. Pans. Plates. Cutlery. Light. Stackable storage boxes. Coolbox.

Not much more really. You’ll no doubt acquire more as you go but stop being so precious about shared shower and toilets!

poly
    Free Member

And once you’ve got all that and paid the site for your pitch, Etc you may find it’s not as big a bargain as you think… so unless the actual camping is part of the aim then you might want to look at youth hostels – most now have private family rooms.

JEngledow
    Free Member

stop being so precious about shared shower and toilets!

Not being precious, just don’t enjoy having to walk across a field to pee in the middle of the night and I’m too uncoordinated to get dried and dressed in a cubicle without getting wet socks!! 🙄

scotroutes

As poly suggests, maybe camping isn’t really for you then.

mj27
    Free Member

one of everything in the shop is what you NEED

and

a microwave
    projector
    toaster
    heater
    tent carpet
    beds
    duvets

plus
    no ability to put your tent up and no imagination for the kids to play out.

Could not believe the last 2 times we went and all the above was going on around us. It was proper willy waving…keeping up with the jones’s

rene59
    Free Member

Use a pee bottle at night and buy a pair of shower shoes.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

using a shared toilet/shower block!

Not sure if trolling!

dressed in a cubicle without getting wet socks!!

No-one goes to the shower in socks.

You’re camping, out in nature*. Flip-flops/crocs/barefoot around and aboot (inc showers) piss in the hedge, or a jar/bottle.

*ymmv, ie:

No peeing in hedge:

Hedge-piss a distinct possibility:

Always, always ask yourself why you’re going camping.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m not trolling, it’s just my experience of camp sites is limited to a few bike trips where the weather has been so poo that we’ve felt the need for showers and didn’t really think about just wearing flip-flops 😳

I think the kids would love camping and the plan is that we can visit more places which are just a bit too far away for a day trip and have the flexibility to do it on pretty short notice.

It was proper willy waving…keeping up with the jones’s

This is what I want to avoid, hence asking what we actually ‘need’ rather than what the shop wants to sell us!

Gunz
    Free Member

Scotroutes has pretty much got it but make sure you invest a bit in quality bedding arrangements as nothing spoils camping more than putting up with the family after not enough sleep. The best thing we bought was a Vango 10cm thick self inflating mat that we put a proper sheet and quilt on – just as good as sleeping at home but obviously not minimal.
    Oh, and I piddle anywhere although the bell end of our two man tent at 3am was deemed unacceptable by my Daughter.

scotroutes

Remember that you might need a generator for the wifes hair straighteners.

(You’d think I was joking, but…..)

the-muffin-man

Family camping -what do we really need?

http://www.premierinn.com

Basically what the others have said – if camping and being in the outdoors isn’t one of the primary reasons for doing it then all your stuff will stay in the garage and never be used.

Saving a few quid doesn’t seem quite such good fun when it’s rained for 24hrs solid and you’re trapped in a damp tent!

jonnyboi

As above premier inn or a glamping pod.

Last pod we tried had a microwave, fridge and kettle plus heating!

psling
    Free Member

How about book a pod or ready-erected bell tent or similar for your first weekend outdoor family experience. Maybe not as cheap as a family tent pitch but a bit easier to cope with and no unnecessary expense on all the camping paraphernalia until you’ve decided family camping can be fun.

jekkyl

Alcohol & Scrabble.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Wow, I wasn’t expecting quite so much negativity, however the point I was trying, but obviously failed, to make was that we want spend time in the ‘outdoors’, enjoying the British weather etc with the kids, but are only (currently) planning short trips so don’t need the kitchen sink, but what do we need to make it as enjoyable as possible?. Thanks for the advice above.

scoob67
    Free Member

Radio / bluetooth speaker. Can’t always guarantee a radio signal, rechargeable speaker is the best thing i’ve got for camping.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^

Sorry, was just making sure! Have been trolled a fair bit of late. But still think you may want to rethink your idea of ‘outdoors’ if foresee ‘shared shower blocks’ are a potential problem. Not being funny, just have seen a lot of families very miserable having tried camping ‘for a few days’ only to look completely uncomfortable with the whole ‘outdoors’ shebang and then literally dumpiing half of their stuff in a quit-rage before heading to nearest hotel. The kids then also learn to ‘hate the outdoors’.

Anyway, that said: Recommend minimum stuff but good stuff. Good outdoor clothing (esp in the UK) are more important than endless cheap plastic camping tat-ernalia. Hardly worth cooking anything OTT over a weekend, may as well eat out/takeout and do pot noodles and porridge with single burner and kettle. Fryup breakfast also possible with single burner.

Headtorches

Agree with the 10cm self-inflator bed options. Although I have slept for years on a 7.5cm and was always a great kip. Much better than rolling, creaking, cold airbeds.

seosamh77
    Free Member

but what do we need to make it as enjoyable as possible?

a big fire, size is proportional to enjoyment! 😆 that and loads of beer and wine!

probably add some OS maps and a williness to get up aff yer arse and actually do something rather than sit about the tent all day!

jonnyboi

Seriously, try a glamping pod for a weekend before you drop several hundred quid on camping gear that will give you a less comfortable experience. You’ll still experience the outdoors

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Board games
    Floor cushions or chairs/table*
    Radio/Rechargeable speaker
    Frisbee/cricket set. Anything to play outdoors
    Local leisure OS map
    Forgot to say the headtorches with red light options are great as they are less disturbing if need to nip out in the night and everyone is alseep. Also useful for reading/night-hikes, map-reading and stargazing.

*chairs/table this is something that I would avoid just for a weekend tryout. Good folding chairs and tables are likely to be expensive. Cheap ones end up in the landfill in no time. And how long do you plan on sitting down at a table for over a weekend? Read in bed, choose a site with picnic tables, sit on floor in tent on cushions, maybe somethign to serve as a small table/rest just for the kettles and cups/food-serving. You may even have one already at home.

Eat everything out of wide bowls. Sandwiches go in napkins.

Gunz
    Free Member

A good point on the cooking front, no need to bring a whole kitchen as one of the joys of getting out and about is checking out new restaurants.
    For our last trip I made an outdoor bucket fire which was great for marshmallows and sausages cooked on sticks (take one zinc bucket, drill four holes at 90 degrees about 10 cm from bottom. Put bolts through holes and use these to support a metal grid (old one from the kitchen oven) cut round to fit. Drill loads of further holes above and below the grid for air circulation – works a treat).

mrblobby
    Free Member

If on a proper camp site with electric hookup then a machine to make a passable espresso (I picked up an on sale Lavazza one for camping.)

That and an inflatable tent so you’re not spending ages trying to erect the tent with impatient kids clambering in and over it.

Oh and for dog, a long line and a screw in stake thing is handy.

joys of getting out and about is checking out new restaurants.

If the OP’s 2yo is anything like mine when they were 2 then A meal at a restaurant is far from a joyous experience 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That and an inflatable tent so you’re not spending ages trying to erect the tent with impatient kids clambering in and over it

Wait, kids don’t get to help/learn? (Babies/toddlers excepted)

*edit.

2yo

As you were 😉

bubs

A cheap Mazda Bongo so that you always have somewhere warm and dry to sleep, somewhere to keep all your stuff all the time, something to get you where you are going and to get you home when you have had enough “fun” 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wait, kids don’t get to help/learn? (Babies/toddlers excepted)

My 5yo is actually now pretty helpful with that sort of thing. My 3yo daughter on the other hand 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

By British weather. One of these. Job done! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Radio / bluetooth speaker.

Yep. And don’t forget to download loads of podcasts etc to your phone. Nice to be able to sit around, have a beer and listen to some spoken word while the youngsters sleep.

Look, I can understand the OP’s view of toilets and shower blocks in the UK. Some of them, despite good reviews on Cool Camping etc saying they’re good are just shite.

OP, might mean committing to a longer trip, but consider a trip to France – there are lots of medium sized campsites which have plenty of facilities – bar/cafe, swimming pool etc but are not sprawling sites with thousands of pitches and fixed units. Try Huttopia sites – their washing/showering/toilet facilities are fantastic – and always plenty for kids to do. Generally no campfires though.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Shared shower blocks really aren’t a problem, for a few days, but could be for a week or two.

We’re planning on doing things fairly last minute (with weather forecasts being a big influence) so the British weather won’t be too much of an issue.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As someone who has done their first few family camping trips this summer (loads of other camping pre baby).
    Cooking:
    Backpacking stove and pans did us fine. if we did not already have them we would have bought one of those cheap single ring bench top stoves.
    Sleeping:
    Normal backpacking self inflation sleeping mats and double duvet for us. Tesco popup baby cot and normal sleeping gear for baby.
    Tent stuff:
    Family tent, cheap decathlon 4.2 something or other two bedrooms and a communal area you can stand in. Added the decathlon “carpet / floor blanket” for a bit more comfort. Also took a cheap cut off of builders tarp to put under the carpet if we wanted to put it outside on slightly damp grass. Camping Decathlon tarp, made a excellent massive sun shade or extra out or rain area.

Misc:
    Mini decathlon table. About 20cm X 40 cm and 25 cm tall. Folds up to a small case. We still on the floor perfectly comfortable but nice to have this kind table for stuff. Led lantern.nhead tourch. flip flops. 10l water container with tap. Mini rhyno bucket washing up bowl. On second trip we did buy a 12v / 220v cool box and some ice packs. Mainly for baby food. Only ran it on 12v while driving, cool blocks the rest of the time.

Piece of piss. Cheap and fun.

We already had sleeping gear and cooking but the stuff we needed to buy cost < 200 including tent.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Actually I think it was £210 for what we bought extra.

themilo
    Free Member

It’s a tricky one OP. We’ve been been camping as a family for years and have accumulated way too much stuff. Wasn’t so bad when we had a van but now we’ve downsized it’s made me realise how much shite we have. If you can genuinely just go when the weather looks great then outside of being comfy and warm at night you can get away with relatively little stuff. You’ll be out most of the day anyway right? Personally, I always get electric hookup. Better lights, better heating, ability to charge things, easy to pump beds up, Mrs can dry her hair in comfort etc etc.

We go for longer trips where the weather can’t be relied upon so a “living room” in the tent was deemed essential. Somewhere to stand and cook under cover if it turns nasty is also a life saver and twin ring gas cookers can be had for peanuts these days.

We tend to venture to the coast more often than not. A wind break would be on my top ten of must have items.

Anyway, we all love it. France is the best place for it though. As someone said up there, it needs a longer break to make it worthwhile but it really is once you get there!

the-muffin-man

A serious answer then!

Choose your campsite well – trawl through the reviews on here…

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

…IME they are pretty accurate.

From experience the bigger the site, the bigger the mess. Avoid ones with bars/entertainment/pools etc. As they seem to attract parents who get tanked-up and let their kids run ferral. Unless the site management is brilliant this is were toilet and showerblocks get messed up by ‘playful’ kids.

And buy a good portable BBQ.
    As most campsites don’t allow fires we just light some charcoal and use it as a heat source to sit around on the colder nights (even if we aren’t cooking anything).

Mugboo

Crocs and a pee bucket or little camping toilet.

And buy a bundle off eBay off somebody who has decided it’s not for them..

onehundredthidiot

Oh and pack the tent last. I watched a great argument develop as Mr and Mrs precious had to unpack the beemers boot to get to thw tent. The sent precious jnrs to the toilet block with all the kit. I assume they’d forgotten waterproofs as no-one would stand around in a lashing lake district downpour in a wool jumper voluntarily.

anagallis_arvensis

we’ve decided against any longer camping as neither of us fancy more than a long weekend using a shared toilet/shower block!

You need a hotel

hodgynd
    Free Member

We still go camping ..but next year could well be the last as the kids are getting a bit older and aren’t as keen ..but we will see..
    We couldn’t go just for weekends though as it just wouldn’t be worth the effort to pitch a six man tent with all the additional equipment for that length of time.
    My missus just wouldn’t entertain going anywhere without an electric hook-up and a few extension cables ..I will not go into the level of electrical goods that are deemed essential ..but let’s just say that the experience is camping ‘lite ‘ ..but among said equipment are a few heaters & an electric chiller box ..
    Still a hell of a lot cheaper than hotels & B&B’s..and apart from packing the car in which every available inch of space is used ,erecting & taking down the tent itself ..stress free ..
    My top tip ..get a decent “kitchen” at least 2 rings & a toaster (calor) ..which gives you better scope to make decent meals.
    Have fun ..

crankboy
    Free Member

Essential for us with one child.
    Tent with living area and two pods.
    Camping stove single ring
    Folding BBQ for bbq’s and camp fire.
    Self inflating double sleeping mat (alpkit) for us.
    Camping cot now kampa inflatable bed.for child.
    Warm individual sleeping bags.
    More alcohol than originally seemed necessary.
    Those porrage sachets. And ready cook rice sachets for easy meals when plans go pear shaped.
    As luxury items folding chairs and a folding table.
    Lego sticker books , favourite soft toy (once forgotten NEVER AGAIN)
    Head torches with red light option.
    Wet wipes .
    Oh some more alcohol.
    We still use our army surplus mess tins for plates/bowls .
    I metal SIG rip off in neoprane jacket makes an excellent hot water bottle for cold nights.

Basil

We camp lots! insert joke.

You need electric.

Do NOT camp without an electric hook up.

gray

I don’t understand this electric hook-up nonsense. That is not camping! That’s just rubbish caravanning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Family camping -what do we really need?’ is closed to new replies.