Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Family camping in Germany?
  • drdjpower

We are thinking of taking our old, slow campervan to Germany for a week this August. The kids (girls 14 and 12, boy 8) want people to hang out with and a place to swim. The parents mostly just want to be somewhere beautiful and to have happy kids.

Does anyone have ideas or recommendations, please? Rhein/Schwarzwald/Bodensee look promising. We could be with or without bikes, the kids would definitely prioritise swimming.

Thank you.

drdjpower

Forgive me for bumping this… any Monday morning inspiration? Even, “Oh, it’s rubbish, go to the Hebrides instead.”

(It’s meant to read “a boy who is eight years of age”, the irritating emoticon has spawned itself.)

boxelder

What about Titisee
    We had a great week around the lakes north of Geneva (obviously not Germany, but close)

alwillis

Camped with my parents years ago in bad liebenzell and bad wildbad (with a bike park capable of breaking your elbow 😳 ) both in the Black Forest, both had amazing pools, plenty of lakes to hang around at/in and partake in whatever the current water sport of choice is.

Also very few Brits when we were there about 10 years ago!

alpin
    Free Member

Around Chiemsee, a lake in Bavaria. …..drove around it on Thursday. It’s bloody massive. Nice panorama of the alps. I’m assuming you are thinking on site. Lots of camping places around. Nice and flat to cycle, but with proper hills nearby. Day trip to either Salzburg or Munich, both around an hour drive.

Around Füssen, or rather near that massive Disney castle, there are lots of lakes with a few Campingplatz and again a mountainous backdrop. Kids can ride on the flat, you in the hills. Lots to do in the area…. The castles, cable cars, Munich is anb hour away.

Bodensee/Lake Contance is really f-in big (lived in Lindau for a year). Loads and loads of camping. Not much in the way of hills and no mountains on the German side (unless you are in Lindau). The Swiss side of the lake demands Swiss prices, but you have a nicer view from the German side.

andermt
    Free Member

Chiemsee is very nice but if he has an old slow campervan it could take 2 days to get there from the UK.

I’d suggest Rhien/Mosel valley, Sarting at Cologne you can travel down to Koblenz on the Rhien then all the way down to Trier on the Mosel. The valleys and wine making region makes for great views, look for a site on top of the valley to make the most of the views.
    Usually a lot of small lakes with Camping around. Laacher See seems close to koblenz (never been so going by google maps)

alpin
    Free Member

Mosel valley is very pretty, lots of sites, but for kids? I don’t know.
    Calais Munich takes me about 9 hours sitting at 130kmh in the van.

drdjpower

Thanks for these, very helpful. I’ll sit them down tonight and try to get them inspired!

Marge
    Free Member

if you want to reduce the amount of drive time, the area around Eiffel is fantastic

if you google ‘rurberg’ you can have a butchers of the area. Some lovely walks around the huge lake there.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

The Harz Mountains are a bit closer. I’d suggest Goslar although the campsite is a bit 1960s.

alpin
    Free Member

That’s because the Harz Berge are in East Germany…. 😉

SaxonRider

Look at Camp Hammer in Eifel National Park.

It is a gorgeous little site, immaculately kept, nestled in cliffs and forest. A river runs through it, and we spent hours playing in the water.

Also, with Monschau very near by, you’ve got a lovely postcard-type village to visit for a dose of culture, beer, and Bratwurst mit Brötchen.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Family camping in Germany?’ is closed to new replies.