Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Family biking (but also non-biking) holiday recommendations in British Columbia?
  • waliboy

Off to Canada with the fiancé in July for 3 weeks to visit my boy (now 10, lives out there with his mum on Vancouver island).

All of my previous trips have had me based on Vancouver island but this time we’re planning a bit of a road trip loop for about 10 days starting in Comox mid-way up the island, heading on the ferry to Powell River and taking in some of the sunshine coast. I would like to increase the size of the loop to visit Whistler and then go on to Kamloops and Kelowna before heading back to Vancouver island via Victoria.

Rather unsurprisingly we will be doing some riding but the focus is not biking all the time. Whistler seems the obvious choice for riding but is it the only choice? I would imagine not.

Do any of the STW community have recommendations for places to go, places to stay, things to do etc. in these parts of mainland BC and the Vancouver area? Any tips and suggestions from your own experiences would be great.

Cheers

MoreCashThanDash

Had honeymoon in BC 11 years ago, so may be out of date.

Plenty round Banff, cable car and hot springs at Sulphur Mountain. Lake Louise is beautiful, Icefield Highway quite interesting, good walking/riding/rafting around Jasper.

If money no object (and it is still running) check out grizzlytours.com, amazing few days there

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Head to Silver Star near Vernon, just North of Kelowna. Your lad will be able to ride with you and it is an excellent wee mountain.

There is plenty to get up to in the Okanagan, esp. lake based activities. There is a ‘tubing’ float trip near Penticton I think. Go riding (horse) at a ranch in Merritt. On the way back to Vancouver stop at Hell’s Gate and go on the cable car. BC is your oyster!

Oddly everywhere mentioned by MoreCashThanDash is in Alberta…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Have a look for BC bike race, 7 day staged race. I’m sure that are maps of the routes on that which cover Van island and Powell River then down sunshine coast. Checkout Squamish. For a quick loop with family – Inland lake north of Powell River.

slackalice
    Free Member

Sunshine Coast would be worth considering along with Okanagan.

walleater

I guess you’ve seen a fair amount of trees and water already, so I’m not sure that you’ll see anything new by going to the Sunshine Coast to be honest. I like it there and it has one or two great spots to get away from it all. For a change of scenery (literally) I’d spend more time in the Interior personally. Powell River smells like ass, and has a wrecked old boat off the coast, but if you like either of those, then go for it!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Woohoo I am on Vancouver island right now for a 3 week holiday!!

We came from Calgary on.a bit of a road trip via a place called Nelson. It’s probably a bit fat away.from where you were thinking but just in case it’s now I.wouof highly recommend going there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Family biking (but also non-biking) holiday recommendations in British Columbia?’ is closed to new replies.