Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fallen tree on permissive footpath
  • tobyho
    Free Member

hello

If a tree has fallen across a permissive footpath on land owned and managed by a county council is someone obliged to move it if the tree is causing an obstruction ?

please advise

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want it moved then either move it or inform the land owner, I’d be polite though rather than asking who is obliged to move the tree.

welshfarmer

Does the managing body know about it? There will certainly be an obligation to maintain the route in a safe condition. I would have thought that in today’s climate of fear they would be happy to clear the tree ASAP. Trouble with permissive footpaths is that the permission may withdrawn at any time. What was permissive last year may be trespass this year (though signs should be placed well in advance I guess)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Build a jump over it 😀

m360
    Free Member

Phone the county council and report it?

tobyho
    Free Member

I am going to email the woman at the council. I just wanted to know if I had any legal recourse to suggest that they HAD to remove the obsutction, which I guess I dont.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

easy on the capitals 🙂 it’s a bit of a first world problem

z1ppy

mikewsmith – Member
    If you want it moved then either move it or inform the land owner, I’d be polite though rather than asking who is obliged to move the tree.

+1, going in all gun blazing saying “you must move this now, it the LAWWWW!!!” is hardly going to make you any friends or get prompt action. Inform the council of the issue and see what there response is, then look at taking it further, if nothing else by getting other ppl to report the issue too.

geoffj

Did anyone hear it fall?

binners

If you get in touch with them, they’ll immediately send a team round, come and discuss the issue, and offer an immediate effective solution, to everyones satisfaction. Then get straight on with the job in hand with ruthless efficiency.

They’ll probably give you a leaflet with a hotline number on it that you can contact 24 hours a day, to talk to a a therapist, to discuss the trauma you’ve been through, and any other issues you’d like raised.

They’re like that, councils

boxelder

Permissive FP so I’d guess they’ve no obligation. They can probably remove access too, so go easy.
    Where is it? I need firewood.

schnor
    Free Member

Although permissive paths aren’t generally subject to RoW law, there is an exception to require the removal of trees / etc as it applies to “any footpath to which the public has access” so report it, especially as it’s also owned by the council 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fallen tree on permissive footpath’ is closed to new replies.