• This topic has 52 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Fallen out of love with mtbing…anyone else affected?
  • ross980
    Free Member

druidh +1
    Coyote – Urban xc? Really? Would I have to start wearing jeans halfway down my arse whilst doing it?
    For me one of the best bits about mountain biking is about getting away from the urban environment.

tenfoot

I can’t imagine ever giving up mountain biking for road biking.

I’m fortunate enough to have a number of decent trails from my front door, with a small bit of road to get there. These trails vary in speed and difficulty depending on the weather and I get to ride in the daylight and preferably at night-time too.

This combination of variables, plus the feeling of getting away from it all means I’ll never solely take to a road bike, where I don’t feel safe riding after dark, and where you’re rarely alone, on the south east’s crowded roads.

globalti
    Free Member

I fell in love with mountain biking in 1989 and became so obsessed that my family got sick of it. Then three years ago I started to feel jaded, for me it was also the mud, the wear and tear, the car journey, the filthy kit, the late night wash with a hose in the freezing cold, the pub scene, the blokes with big bellies, the faffing around waiting for ill-prepared riders…. need I go on?

Then I discovered the thrill and the purity of road riding. I am ebaying my Rebas this week and am even thinking I might ebay the Global.

damo2576
    Free Member

Road bikes outnumber mtbs in my household now…

Coyote
    Free Member

Sorry, probably didn’t explain myself.

I need to ride at least 20mins before I hit countryside. Longer before I hit anything decent. But it’s just part of the ride.

No reason to be arsey onion boy.

Would I have to start wearing jeans halfway down my arse whilst doing it?

No, you can still wear as much lycra as you like. 🙂

edoverheels
    Free Member

Scotchegg. that sounds harsh and good luck. Five years and no riding. For me I hate road riding but I guess if i couldn’t ride from the door i would think about it. I have been on bikes my whole life and MTB for 20+ years. Still love it now as much as ever and ride most days. Mix it up with XC and downhill, different bikes and different friends and track building keeps it interesting. My children are also now giving up the fight and starting to ride, even if for the most part they don’t ride with me. Don’t worry about it and just do what you want.

jeb

I been in the same spot.

tired of cleaning the bike, wet conditions, maintenance. bla bla.

started up roadbiking, no wet woods, no maintenance (nearly)

done it for a year, and now i just only pick the really good days, for mtb, sunny, dry, and it works ! i got my mtbmojo back 😀

druidh
    Free Member

coyote – riding in the city can be cool (e.g. Danny MacAskill) It ain’t mountain biking though 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i never fall out of love with cycling. some times i ride my road bike more; some times i run cross tyres & enjoy that. some times i just commute. sometimes i lycra up & othertimes i just tide to the pub in jeans.

the worst thing you can do is try and force it.

mintimperial

Don’t worry about it.

For many years riding mountain-bikes was my obsession, but when I went to university I just gave up. I stopped riding bikes completely for the best part of a decade. There were other, more interesting and accessible things to expend my energy on. To give an idea of time-scale: when I stopped riding v-brakes were still pretty fancy, and I didn’t have any suspension on my bike at all. I got back into it a few years ago, and I haven’t looked back since. Now I don’t have enough time for riding.

Go and do something else for a bit. If you decide to come back to mountain-bikes chances are it’ll be more fun than ever.

Coyote
    Free Member

It ain’t mountain biking though

I’m guessing a fair few “MTBers” have never ridden on a mountain either.

Love off-road, like urban stuff. It’s all good. 😎

MrOvershoot

thomthumb – Member

I never fall out of love with cycling. some times I ride my road bike more; some times I run cross tyres & enjoy that. some times I just commute. sometimes I Lycra up & other times I just ride to the pub in jeans.

the worst thing you can do is try and force it.

Sums it up for me 🙂

Been riding a bike with some form of passion since 1977. Tyres, bars & pedals change but the basic idea is 2 wheels and my own personal choice.

GW
    Free Member

lovely ^^ 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fallen out of love with mtbing…anyone else affected?’ is closed to new replies.