Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Falkirk Area – Carron Valley and other routes
  • cabeaumont
    Free Member

I've just moved not too far from Carron Valley and am thinking of heading up there to do a few training laps mid-week. Just wondered what condition the trials were in now that CVGD ceases to exist. Anyone know if the car park gates still get locked on an evening?

Also, are there any other decent mid-week evening routes to ride in the Larbert/Falkirk area? I see road cyclists all the time and there are loads of road routes on the internet – not a lot of off road stuff though!

Cheers much in advance

falkirk-mark

I am in Carronshore CV is pretty much rideable all year .Stirling bike club might be good for midweek rides but Plean/ torwood right on your doorstep. Also I believe Callander park has some good trails

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Tons up Stirling way if you can jump on the train/drive up.

Carron Valley is still fine although shall be "renovated" soon, see below:

http://www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&topic=5686.0

Car park gates will still be locked but you can always park down the road.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I was at Carron valley last sunday trail was fine it was my first time there and we thought we had missed some of the trail out, but we didnt its just quite short. Car park closes at 9pm. The runway part of the trail is pretty good.

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

I know alot of local trails in Cumbernauld which isnt to far from yourself, lots of good natural XC stuff. Pm or email me

dmoffitt90 at hotmail.co.uk

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Dmoffitt90 I'd be intrested in knowing those cumbernauld trails too. Im in Gartcosh area. Any long trails about 20km? 3 hours ride?

cabeaumont
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps! I'm gonna head on up to carron valley tonight seen as though it's not raining for once!!

I see that Stirling bike club have weekly club rides too, quite fancy that!

Cheers!

Xan
    Free Member

FYI. For those who are fans of CV have a read at this.

http://www.lanarkshiremtbclub.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=56&func=view&catid=5&id=2447

All I can say at long last!!!

2tyred

Cautiously pleased on this CV 'refurbishment' news, I have to say.

The runway section is well overdue some work, as the smooth line it offers (and IMO if you ride it right it flows really nicely) has been wrecked by the braking bumps that have developed in front of every jump.

If what they're planning is like the good game bit of GT, with the more technical features off to one side so they can be bypassed by those who don't want to hit them, then that's great news. I'm not going to hold my breath though, given the enormous wasted opportunity the forest became.

It could have been brilliant.

dmoffitt90 – Cumbernauld's close to me, but somewhere I've never explored beyond the westfield bmx track. Email on the way, cheers!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I live in Larbert and if you want a tour of local Larbert, Torwood, Plean and Stirling (Cambu, N3, Mine Woods, Dumyat) trails let me know …

As above I know Carron Valley is being closed while they re-route and build again…so you might be limited on riding for the next 3 months.

Xan
    Free Member

Other local (ish) places that I frequent are Chatleraut in Hamilton and Mugdock Park in Milngavie. Some really good trails about there if you know where to find them. I have also heard some good things about Cambusbarron. Supposidly about 30km of natural trails about there

StirlingCrispin

Xan – 30km of trails in Cambu is pushing it a bit.
    A veritable maze certainly and enough to keep you happily occupied for several hours.

In Carron Valley, Meikle Bin is always worth an explore.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Most of the local riding we are talking about is for mid-week night rides, short spins and general hacking about in the woods

I've ridden everything mentioned and more across the Central Belt but nothing compares to the quality of trails and trailbuilding at Cambusbarron.

StirlingCrispin

In fact SBC have a tour of the local trails this Sunday!
    And it ends at the local brewery. Does life get any better than that?

clicky

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Does life get any better than that?<

Distillery ride? 😉

doh
    Free Member

check out the area behind croy for a nice network of trails and around the top of bar hill on the way to twechar.
    about 8-10k from one end to the other with a good mix of stuff.
    some small sections are a bit on the interesting side at the moment cos of the thick 4-5ft ferns grabbing the bike and hiding any view of the actual ground. feel free to take a strimmer etc with you
    <div id="MMEmbeddedMap" style="padding:8px"><iframe width

doh
    Free Member

http://www.multimap.com/s/kkCclctT

dont think these links will work, try multimap for croy

StirlingCrispin

"Distillery ride? "

You'll be thinking of the Upper glendevon ride, which after the Blackford distillery involves us visiting Sherrifmuir Inn and then the brewery. Hic!

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Could get a 3hr ride round cumbernauld just need to know how to link it up i would say, also depends on how fast your going of course 8) im going out this weekend if anyone fancies it ?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Sounds good StirlingCrispin

Does Andy Robins still have any invovement in that place / still live in the area?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Falkirk Area – Carron Valley and other routes’ is closed to new replies.