Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fake Strava profiles?
  • BoardinBob

Had this twice in the last few days. A request to add a follower from someone who already follows me. Basically a duplicate profile. Clicking on the profile, they’ve got the same profile pic as the real person but zero rides logged. Checked with one of the “real” people and they confirmed the alternative profile isn’t really them.

I’m guessing it’s an attempt to get you to add them as a friend so they can scope out what bikes folk have and hopefully where they live.

Anyone else had this?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Probably more likely to be a software issue?

whitestone
    Free Member

Interesting. I have a few pending requests from people with odd names who I’ve never knowingly met.

I only list my bikes as “road bike”, “hardtail”, etc. rather than specific marques/models.

Two of those who have requested to follow me have done precisely zero activities for at least five years. Hmmm. “Tem Po” – what kind of name is that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s an attempt to get you to add them as a friend so they can scope out what bikes folk have and hopefully where they live.

I’m guessing it’s more likely to be the spambot type follower/friend request you get on other social media like twitter and FB rather than some bike theft crime gang conspiracy.

“Tem Po” – what kind of name is that?

asked “whitestone”, said crashtestmonkey….

Given Tempo is a specific riding state I’d say it’s a decent cycling-related pseudonym.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Going slightly off-topic, it always surprises me how many Strava users use what appear to be real names, people using their online alias like I do seem very much to be in the minority.

One glitch I’ve noticed with the Strava app is that it sometimes temporarily assigns the same profile photo to two or more users, then the next time I see that name, the photo is the blank default torso.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fake Strava profiles?’ is closed to new replies.